A Bluesy thing and feeling Pensive

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

A Bluesy thing and feeling Pensive

Post by VikingBlues »

Every so often in all this exploration of alternate guitar tunings I find myself noodling something bluesy. Vaguely bluesy that is! :shy:

Some tunings work better than others for this. Recently I've been using Csus2 tuning quite a lot. (CGCGCD). Something bluesy emerged while noodling around on the TW73 acoustic yesterday so I did a quick recording on the Zoom H4n portable recorder using its internal microphones.
:music1: There's some out of place notes but not too bad for a first attempt. Easy to find the Eb (3rd fret on 23 strings) and bend up to give that minor / major variation / blend. :cool:

In casting the net wider for more unusual tunings to try to write "tunes" in I have encountered Csus4add9. That is CGCFCD. :eye_rub:
There's a tuning to try and get the head around! This was one of the better attempts with it.
:music1: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13362559
The Tanglewood Java and the usual Avantone CK-1 microphones.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Re: A Bluesy thing and feeling Pensive

Post by Blindboy »

Bluesy indeed! :thumbsup:
If I had my DAW up and running I would do a play along with that. (I play a lot in C)
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

sounds good, got that old timey feel to it! dan
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I'm totally on awe how you get THAT bluesy feeling out of a strange tuning. Sounds like you're in the deep south! :pray:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Cheers guys! :D

Csus2 has the advantage if you avoid the top string that all the open strings are either C of G so any of those are "in key" whatever else is being played. Then the introduction of that top string with its suspended note and then its absence gives a movement to the sound. Or something like that.

Fun anyway. :music1:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!