Little Minor Thoughts

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Little Minor Thoughts

Post by VikingBlues »

I'm trying to get the occasional airing of an electric guitar in case I forget how to play them. :whistle:

A David Wallimann backing track in Bm "Aeolian Thoughts" took my attention. I've just used the PRS SE P90 guitar into the little Blackstar Fly 3 through the EHX Holy Grail Nano reverb pedal.

:music2: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13254136 On Soundclick to keep my viewing numbers up. :wink:

Also uploaded to here in case anyone has problems getting to the link above. I've also been getting reacquainted with my Tanglewood TW73 after selling the Lowden acoustic. Here's a recording from this afternoon - I was just sitting back on the couch with the microphones angled downward to try to pick up the sound. Not ideal for quality recording or playing, but I enjoy the relaxed feeling when noodling on the couch. I'm also enjoying the TW73 and being reminded why it was so difficult to find a better guitar.

:music1: https://app.box.com/s/yovr8o1d2vl8ihm39to4sud443njcltn On Box.com

I had to get past the guard dog to get the guitar of course! :big_smile:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Little Minor Thoughts

Post by 12bar »

Aeolian is your mode (we know...)! :banana:
Very nice bends and double stops - a pleasure to listen.

Even better your acoustic work - no surprise. It sounds really professional, both tone and playing. :thumbsup:
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Hey, VB

I had a little hard for me to decide how I want to express myself over your music. Therefore, yes anticipated to comment.

The best I can think of is to try to be part of the orchestra is in thee. Rather, place you in you in the orchestra I get in my head when I hear you play.
I can also get to the song I sing to your acoustic guitar music but my COPD puts a stop to keep out the tones so unfortunately I can not prove this.

You have a very good tone in your music. I assume hard that you have a full symphony orchestra in your head as you play.
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Strange English. it's Google translater and it translate as i like. i hope you undersand what i mean in anyway.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks Gerd - it was quite nice to find that I wasn't too out of practice on the electric. It being Aeolian mode helped and it being a Wallimann backing track helped a lot too. I can connect to his BTs better than I can most others.

Many thanks too for your kind comment on the acoustic playing. :D The guitar has a lot to do with it and I've found the right microphone(s) at last with the pair of Avantone CK-1s. Having one with a cardioid capsule and the other with an omni just seems to capture the sounds of an acoustic guitar so much better than a single mic, or a pair of cardioids, can. :thumbsup:

Don't worry about Google translate Michael. It does do strange things, but it's usually good enough for me to get the general meaning OK. I do hear a lot of the musical lines in my head as I play them - quite often they sound better in my head than they do when actually played! :big_smile:
But perhaps it's not the sound of a full orchestra that I get in my head - I'm not that creative.

A lot of my tone in my acoustic playing is just down to the guitars and microphones and having picked guitars that play well when played gently that's all I need to do to get the sound.

I do feel I get better tone when I'm improvising or semi improvising. I also get a better musical flow when I'm doing that too along with more variation and feeling. Does it make sense that it should be that way? I do like an improv as the thought at the foot of my posts confirms. :cool:
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

LOving this acoustic sound VB!! Great backing track also.....this is some melodic playing...nice mix of smooth jazz and a blues feel!!!
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Oops, got the tracks confused....thaought the first track was with the acoustic!! Still love it though.....going to listen to the acoustic now!!! :) WOW, that acoustic is just LOVELY VB!!
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks Tytl. :D

Quite right on the backing track being a good one. David Wallimanns BTs usually encourage melodic lines from my guitar in a way that others fail to do. I'm still so surprised at what the Blackstar Fly 3 can produce soundwise. At less than 1kg in weight it certainly is portable - no back strain with that. :big_smile:

Glad you liked the acoustic number too. Just shows that what is needed is a guitar to connect with, not an expensive high quality guitar. :thumbsup: