Scottish Ballad

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
fenson

Scottish Ballad

Post by fenson »

Scottish Ballad ("Wild Mountain Thyme" Scottish Trad - So renamed as a :wink: to VB). Played on my Contreras "Concert" I bought in Paris 1975, a year before I passed my classical guitar teatcher degree! I then used to teach music, guitar, harmony and orchestration... for years! Stopped in 2002, since then I've been classical guitar "dealer" before being retired for 4 months :cool: just love it!

Also a reply to viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3560 :wink: again :D
Recorded with
AKG C451 (left) and the Neumann KM 184 (right) -> Focusrite Saffire Pro -> Asus Laptop ROG G750JX(thunderbolt support)/Debian-Jessie/kernel 4.1.0-2-rt-64)Ardour/MixBus.

The room 35m2 is full of no surprising furnitures for the place... Guitars, Basses, keyboards, amps and so on... Many books and carpets too!

No effect while recording nor in post-prod (downgrade a copy from 96000 to 48000 to convert to mp3-320 using Audacity).

This is a one shot take and I could do better at mic placement (at playing too) etc. Just a trial... I'll come back later with some more "nylon string blues" (Flamenca might be good at...)

:beer:
Later,
IF
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Scottish Ballad

Post by 12bar »

Another gem, a true ballad! :clap: I hear a bit of Mason Williams in it, could that be? :think:
Oh, and we want a photo of your 35m2! :drool:
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Well ........................ You have training in ground and trained others. Then I understand how you manage to play like you do. Of course you need your talent for music very much too.

What to say to someone who has so much knowledge in the art of playing the guitar? You play very well.
fenson

Post by fenson »

12bar wrote:Another gem, a true ballad! :clap: I hear a bit of Mason Williams in it, could that be? :think:
Oh, and we want a photo of your 35m2! :drool:
Oh Lord! A gem! A bit... exaggerated, isn't it? indeed :D

Well you taught me who is Manson Williams... I must recognize, I of course knew "Classical Gas" but ignored who composed the song. I must confess, haven't ever heard of him either... as far as I remember :shy:

Just another trial at microphones choice & placement (same guitar + Neumann KM 184 (mellower than the AKG) + more space between the two) and also a practicing session: neck and classical guitar fingerboard aren't as easy to play as acoustic steel strings from gibson or Santa Cruz are! Not a question, just a fact I'm experiencing actually... Getting :oldie:

Not walking the Highlands anymore, back to the Blues... however not yet reach the delta!

Nylon gets Bluesy.mp3 - (4.2 MiB)

Michael Robinson wrote:What to say to someone who has so much knowledge in the art of playing the guitar?:
Thank you MR :D I'm afraid to not being able to answer such a question :icon_whoknows:

:peace:
IF
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I'm not good at classical guitar and I only have a cheap 3/4 one but I always thought playing is easier than on steel string guitars. Strings don't hurt and there is much more space. But Blues on nylon never worked for me... :big_smile:
Your "Scottish Blues" (perfect again) is quite jazzy/folkish. I used to listen a lot to Pentangle (John Renbourn/Bert Jansch) before I started playing guitar and this made me listen to my old vinyls again.
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

I repeat. What can I say to you that can so much about the art of playing the guitar?
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Very fine playing and a very musical interpretation of the "Scottish Ballad". :clap: :clap:

Interesting to hear the details of your set up. There are so many variables in recording an acoustic guitar, not least in that the perfect mic and gear set up for one acoustic guitar will be useless for another. I am a big believer in dual microphone recording on an acoustic particularly if it's a cardioid pattern as a single cardioid microphone only picks up the sound from a fairly small part of the guitar and there's so much sound of different tones coming from all over the instrument.

On your "Nylon Gets Bluesy" the sound gives the impression of being from a larger room space - choice of microphone and spacing will play a part certainly. It is interesting how you have changed the sound of the same guitar for this recording and the change suits the style - sounds very good indeed. :thumbsup: The Saffire Pro will be giving good service to your quality of tone - without good preamps the task is so much more difficult.

Interesting about the varying views on ease of playing classical v steel string. I have had to go down to a smaller scale (530mm La Mancha Rubi) and less chunky neck classical guitar as the width of the fingerboard plus the bulk of the neck was too much for my finger joints. Nylon strings may be less hard to press down but the neck needs to be right too.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
fenson

Post by fenson »

12bar wrote:...Oh, and we want a photo of your 35m2! :drool:
Yep! Here it is :D
STUDIO.jpg
STUDIO.jpg (159.1 KiB) Viewed 8832 times
:cool:

IF
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:drool:

Has a bit 70s touch... :peace:
What's the piano brand?
fenson

Post by fenson »

12bar wrote: :drool:
:D Ok, have a look at these :wink:
The two old Kings...
TwoKings.jpg
TwoKings.jpg (113.83 KiB) Viewed 8815 times
& Alex...
Alex_Ceriatone.jpg
Alex_Ceriatone.jpg (122.12 KiB) Viewed 8815 times
12bar wrote: Has a bit 70s touch... :peace:
When it all began, at least for me, I'm 63 :oldie:
Just hate this pine wood but got it for free... It should have been painted... but it's more pleasant to just play music you know :icon_whoknows:
12bar wrote: What's the piano brand?
Gaveau, don't expect to get sample sounds, I can't record this thing in such a little room :icon_whoknows:

:peace:
IF
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks! Even more :drool:
I had pine wood in my playroom, too - back in the 70's/80's. :bb:
BTW Marty McFly should arrive today... :banana:
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Absolutely superb!!! That was heartfelt, and pure class....Wow, love the melodic sense. and that guitar just drips emotion!! Look forward to more!!
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King