Epi SG Noodling

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
vancouverois

Epi SG Noodling

Post by vancouverois »

I can borrow for a while an Epi SG "Les Paul Custom", the 61 reissue that has 3 pickups.
Not bad at all, 3 volumes one for each pickup and a master tone.
The middle pickup is always on no matter how is the pickup switch but with its own volume it is possible to turn it off when needed.
This one is a Korean model but I guess the vast majority of this model was made in China and it is discontinued now.

3PU_SG.mp3 - (1.76 MiB)

DSCN0920.JPG
DSCN0920.JPG (128.51 KiB) Viewed 12546 times
Jan 15th 2007
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Epi SG Noodling

Post by 12bar »

Interesting guitar with a lot of tone choices... sounds very clear and crispy for a humbucker! :thumbsup:
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Indeed the tone choice is really enhanced by the middle pickup.
I've read on the internet that this era Korean made Epis had PUs built to match vintage Gibson tone.

The pickups do not seem to be muddy and today I noticed they were set up fairly low and as I didn't use a pick in the noodling recording, it may be the reason.
So I gave a try at raising them a little, it increased the power and the sustain.
I also installed a bone nut that added more clarity, warmth and presence to the tone.

Still getting used to the guitar, but at a glance it seems to be well built and reliable.
I guess I may repost another tone file later on.
Last edited by vancouverois on Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 15th 2007
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Sounds very good to my old ears - humbuckers with a nice clean tone and no muddiness! :thumbsup:

Interesting that you felt the need to raise the pickups as I most frequently found myself in more recent years having to lower pickups on new guitars. But that was because they were set too high at the factory / shop and, being too close to the strings, the guitars were losing sustain. Those were more recently made guitars with (unfortunately) more powerful pickups and in common with so many guitars made recently geared up towards volume and power rather than musical tone. :sad:

It would be interesting to hear a tone file later on after the adjustments you're making.
There's a couple of short phrases played at the link below on a Tele, one with the pickups too high and one with them lower. Very noticeable difference in clean tone of the higher frequencies.
http://www.guitartoneoverload.com/2011/ ... -the-tone/
As Chris Kinman says "pickup adjusting screws are the two best tone controls you could wish for".
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

vancouverois wrote:Indeed the tone choice is really enhanced by the middle pickup.
I've read on the internet that this era Korean made Epis had PUs built to match vintage Gibson tone.
My Epi Sheraton is from Korea, too (beginning 90's) and has this wonderful sound. I didn't adjust the height, I'm afraid it's getting worse...
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

It's a warm, round and clean sound from youre guitar. Suits very well to a soft song.

Interesting points with height between strings and pickup. That's why the original PU's on the Stratocaster has different height, depending on the string regard. I mean then that each string has its own distance from the protruding magnetized metalcylinders (Do not know what they are called in brief as it may be a little engineering chatter)

I will adjust my low-end Gibson copy. The strings licking the PU's and given that it is the P90's so supposed the tone to be warm and round. The example of telecaster like VB pointing to show clearly that the further away from pickups give rounder tone and that's what I want from this guitar.
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

MichaelRobinson wrote:It's a warm, round and clean sound from youre guitar. Suits very well to a soft song.

Interesting points with height between strings and pickup. That's why the original PU's on the Stratocaster has different height, depending on the string regard. I mean then that each string has its own distance from the protruding magnetized metalcylinders (Do not know what they are called in brief as it may be a little engineering chatter)

I will adjust my low-end Gibson copy. The strings licking the PU's and given that it is the P90's so supposed the tone to be warm and round. The example of telecaster like VB pointing to show clearly that the further away from pickups give rounder tone and that's what I want from this guitar.
Thanks, I guess the metal cylinders in the Strat pickup are called magnet rods.

After adjusting the pickups on the Epi I noticed that sometimes too close do not give the expected results.
I also noticed that on humbuckers and P90, the pole pieces (the 6 screws on the pickup) can also be adjusted to give a better balance/clarity between the strings.

What I discovered on the Epi is that it has treble capacitors on each volume potentiometer, hence the clarity and not muddy at all.
Another thing is that the neck and middle pickups are 8.6K and 8.9K but the bridge is at 13.9K, not really a vintage type of output.
The bridge is perfect in hi gain situations, never played a guitar with this type of output PU before, and it seems that I can darken the tone/sound by blending a bit of middle pickup with its own control. Searing tones à la Gilmour or heavy rock tones are attainable just by the twist of the controls and a dirt pedal.

Height adjustment of the neck and middle pickups resulted in more warmth, but lets keep in mind the bone nut could help too.
The neck turned in a more mellow tone and can be "boosted" a bit by the middle pickup.
The three pickups together, where the three volumes pots and pickups resistances are in parallel (I guess), give a very good tone useful for bluesy stuff.

I'll try to record the tones in the different pickup switch combinations to give an idea.
Jan 15th 2007
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Thank's for the PM. I have read it but have nothing to comment. I just read it and learned some.

Thank's and take care./ Michael
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Here is a sound file of the neck pickup with a bit of middle pickup.
I did a set up of the PU height and it seems it sounds warmer but the treble bleed capacitors let the highs going through.
The bone nut certainly has its influence regarding the sound/tone.

I took out the rear plate, the three volume pots are full sized but the tone is a mini pot, I think a tone pot replacement with a higher quality cap may enhance the sweep of the tone control.
Something simple and easy to try next time.

SG Slow Blues.mp3 - (2.02 MiB)

Control-Cavity_800.JPG
Control-Cavity_800.JPG (218.27 KiB) Viewed 12379 times
Jan 15th 2007
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

It has a bit Knopfler-ish in it! :thumbsup:
vancouverois wrote:Something simple and easy to try next time.
Yes, compared to my Epi Sheraton where everything has to be done through the f-holes...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Sorry - took me a while to spot this - too much rampant GAS recently has left me not enough time for going on forums - and no money. :wall:

Nice warm tones from you and your guitar there. I agree that the highs have not been compromised by what you've changed - a good balanced sound - seems to me you've a good guitar that can get even better. :cool:
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Thanks guys! :D
All the previous recordings were made with the Tonelab, a pretty good tool I use since years.
But it doesn't sound as good as an amp, especially with a very simple rig like mine.
I had the opportunity to use my old Peavey Bandit 112 Sheffield as the neighboors are away :lol:

A quick recording, I played with the fingers except on the last part.
It seems to sound good, clean channel low gain bright on, a cheap mic into a small mixer.
I just filtered the little background hum and hiss, reverb is from the amp.
The guitar controls are at the same position like in the previous recording.

https://app.box.com/s/7biu97jw6ot2hog75eef1gql9l6qzj23
Peavey Bandit Sheffield 112
Peavey Bandit Sheffield 112
PBS112.jpg (62.6 KiB) Viewed 12181 times
Jan 15th 2007
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

There is an extra something an amp can bring to a recording - the air moving maybe. The way the sound sustains and hangs in a different more natural sounding way and there seems to be a wider range to possible sounds to be got from the way the notes are played.

Anyway it's another example of how good the guitar is! :clap:

It is a shame that neighbours so often get in the way of being able to use an amp at high enough a level for effective recording.