It's collab time again

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Re: It's collab time again

Post by VikingBlues »

Nicely played Vancouveris. Didn't sound like any of the mistakes you mentioned stopped it sounding good. :clap: :thumbsup:
12bar wrote:this BT seems to get superb playing out of everyone... :clap:
The BT is well chosen - it has a great resonance - seems to help the player find a good musical path.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

I agree, this BT sounds really good.
Thanks for the kind comments :D
Jan 15th 2007
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

Blindboy - love your tag line in the signature block. For some reason that line as always made me grin. Makes me feel like I ought to "Cakewalk Into Town". :thumbsup: :lol: :lol:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Having now listened to the compilation I cobbled together of the contributions on this thread a lot of times I think I've got two great lessons to try to take on board - one I've already mentioned in an earlier post is the building and structuring a solo - which is I guess a long term process to try to get to grips with. :alright:

Another lesson that shows itself to me in the parts in the compilation that keep working best even after a lot of listening and the parts that always grab the attention - the ability to cast light and shade on notes and the subtle releases and increases of musical tension and interest that can result. I've been concentrating a lot until now on getting the right notes, but I definately need a lot of further work on how those right notes are physically played for volume and tone and dynamics.

I think my only acquiring a tube amp recently has maybe held me back on this dynamics aspect - the extra responsiveness with the tubes is encouraging the extra use of dynamics. :D

So I've got an incentive to properly get to grips with getting the amp and microphone recording working right. Oh dear - technology! :wall:

Don't get me wrong with the brick wall smileys etc - I'm happy to discover these things and everyones skills and expertise here are a great teaching tool for me - I really enjoy listening to this one a huge amount - thanks everyone. :big_smile: :thumbsup:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

MojoJim wrote:Blindboy - love your tag line in the signature block. For some reason that line as always made me grin. Makes me feel like I ought to "Cakewalk Into Town". :thumbsup: :lol: :lol:
Thanks MojoJim, I have always loved that song. :big_smile: Now that I am learning to sing :yikes: , it is one of the songs that I cover. :peace:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

As I posted on 9th September.
VikingBlues wrote:I couldn't resist - for my own interest. :D

I've not got got HBLs editing and recording skills but I put a string of these renditions together with HBLs opening and closing statements and ElMano, myself, Blindboy and BluesLicksMaster's contributions in full. It makes rather a long 16 minutes but it works very well and the different styles and ideas make it seem much shorter. I've just cobbled it together so the timing just about works at the changeovers between players and so that the volume settings of each person are compatible.

It's a pretty hefty 14.5 Mb by the time it's all in there though.
I was listening to it again in the car today - it still sounds good to me. :clap: As the idea of the album version has fallen through I thought I'd upload my cobbled together version to Box.net. So if anyone wants to hear it? :icon_whoknows:

I hope this is all OK. :shy: If any of the contributors are unhappy with it being made available like this let me know and I can delete it.

Vancouveris - sorry, but as you'll see from the dates I did this mixing and recording before your contribution was posted. If you'd like me to have a go at putting your segment into the mix I will try it - let me know.

So this version has:-
00:08 Half Blind Lefty (Tokai Strat)
02:43 ElMano (Fender Prodigy)
05:22 Blindboy (Frankenstrat)
07:57 VikingBlues (Self Build Strat)
10:30 BluesLicksMaster (Yamaha SA1100)
13:10 HalfBlindLefty (Epiphone ES-335 Dot)

(Hope I've got the guitars right).

http://www.box.net/shared/jsz5q0gupt
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

I like it very well I am glad that i may have play a part of this track with such a good players as You Guys Thanks for that.
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

VikingBlues wrote: Vancouveris - sorry, but as you'll see from the dates I did this mixing and recording before your contribution was posted. If you'd like me to have a go at putting your segment into the mix I will try it - let me know.
No problem VB, unless you want to redo the whole mixing process :lol: that is fine by me.
Jan 15th 2007
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

:high5: :clap: :beer:
I had forgotten about this one. I must have deleted it after uploading it. :whistle:
Thanks for putting this together VB. It is cool to listen to all the different voices here.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Re: It's collab time again : Plus Vancouveris

Post by VikingBlues »

Link to another version on box.net which includes Vancouveris. Again like the rest not very expertly cobbled together and the balance and joins might be a bit off.

http://www.box.net/shared/kynja2hpul

I've put the segment at 10:30 after Viking Blues, and shifted BluesLicksMaster and Half Blind Leftys closing part to after Vancouveris.

:bb: ...... :music2: ...... :bb:
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Thanks for remixing the whole thing just to add my part :beer:
Jan 15th 2007
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Good job VB :) well done
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

vancouverois wrote:Thanks for remixing the whole thing just to add my part :beer:
My pleasure! :big_smile:

Thanks HBL (if I don't fully listen, like when driving i can't hear the joins - so I'm reckoning it's OK). :D
drockadam

Post by drockadam »

Sounds amazing! :clap: :pray:
Keep The Blues Alive,

- Adam De Rocco