Viking goes a Ramblin'

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Viking goes a Ramblin'

Post by VikingBlues »

I think I'm safe in saying this is a new departure for your rVB. :eye_rub:

:music1: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12820895

Probably either best heard with the volume cranked up ..... or with the fingers in the ears.
An approximate cover - but a good chance to get the Gretsch Resonator out of the case and a slide on my left hand pinkie. At least it's blues. :tease:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
vancouverois

Re: Viking goes a Ramblin'

Post by vancouverois »

:clap: :thumbsup:
A very good one, you get right.
May be when it starts it seems a bit out, anyway no big deal.
Well VB, really enjoy this one, congrats!
Jan 15th 2007
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I'm sure Robert would love it. The tone is pretty good Delta! :thumbsup:
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Real delta blues. I like it............ :clap: :thumbsup:
jokron

Post by jokron »

Not my cup of tea, but I shurely hear echo from the the 30's authentic blues, the kind of tunes that Clapton learned from... :thumbsup:

/Jokron
I was looking for the perfect guitar, I found it...but...I ran into trouble...it was looking for the perfect guitarist...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thank you all - for listening and for being very encouraging! :thumbsup:

Very pleasing to see any suggestion that there's even a hint of Delta in there. I took the inspiration for this recording from a Hawkeye Herman lesson on JamPlay ... his enthusiasm often means I play better even if it's not specific to the lesson. Open D on the Gretsch Resonator with a Slide gets a long way to Delta without much input from the player of course. My bony index finger of the fretting hand was a bit sore this morning - the action on the guitar was set for slide &/or fretting by the shop so it is higher than I'm used to, and there's a lot of barre chords.

As Hawkeye said - "I want you to work on it and figure it out. I could sit here and dictate every note and every measure to you." But he doesn't. He'd covered the basic principles in earlier lessons. So we learn by watching and listening, trying and improvising, the same as he did when he learned from the likes of Son House.
jokron wrote:Not my cup of tea, but I shurely hear echo from the the 30's authentic blues, the kind of tunes that Clapton learned from... :thumbsup:

/Jokron
Funny that ... I didn't think it was my cup of tea either. :eye_rub: I don't think I've ever tried playing a Robert Johnson song before and the number of times I've tried to play and sing an old style acoustic blues could be counted on the fingers of the hands of a very careless butcher indeed. :lol:

Anyway - good fun to try something different. :banana:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Yup, Delta feeling present.
Impressed by your slide/reso playing am I.... ( yoda walked by)
Serious. Well, very well done rVB You didn't need much "r" this time. Using a reso helps quite a bit :)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
jokron

Post by jokron »

Hmm...think I'm gonna get me a bottleneck... :aha: and make a new version of my "No Clue Blues"... :cool:

/Jokron
I was looking for the perfect guitar, I found it...but...I ran into trouble...it was looking for the perfect guitarist...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Yup, Delta feeling present.
Impressed by your slide/reso playing am I.... ( yoda walked by)
Serious. Well, very well done rVB You didn't need much "r" this time. Using a reso helps quite a bit :)
Thanks HBL. :D Thought it was about time I did something "real" with the resonator. A relief that it worked OK. :phew:
jokron wrote:Hmm...think I'm gonna get me a bottleneck... :aha: and make a new version of my "No Clue Blues"... :cool:

/Jokron
I remember enjoying the "No Clue Blues" from you rather a long time ago now. I think it could lend itself well to some slide playing. :thumbsup:
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Hey VB......man oh man, now that is some crossroads blues!! love that resonator......
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks Tytl. :D

Pick up the Gretsch Resonator, play with a quality glass slide .... and it's damn tricky not have instant Delta sound. Would that it were that easy to get the right sound from the voice! :roll: