A Musical Adventure (My first attempt at B.B King)

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
StratLover2

A Musical Adventure (My first attempt at B.B King)

Post by StratLover2 »

Hi All!

I decided that I would do a recording with my Ibanez AS73 for the first time, and decided to have my hand at the backing track on GuitarBackingTrack.com for Thrill is Gone, which has no vocals, and I don't think is copyrighted. I read the rules, so I hope I'm safe! If not, let me know and I'll remove it.

Anyway, this is part of my continuing venture into minor Blues. I think my playing is a bit different on the AS73 (Which is an ES-335 Ibanez copy basically, a very good one at that), because not just because of the style, but the guitar itself has a different feel to it. I felt pretty happy with it on the first take, which I find is happening more often these days. Maybe, because I played at church this morning, I was all warmed up?

Anyway, your thoughts are quite welcomed, and I hope to be more active on 12bar, but I've got college coming up, so I might pop on occasionally.

download/file.php?id=293

StratLover2
Attachments

A Musical Adventure
A Musical Adventure.mp3 - (4.78 MiB)

VikingBlues

Re: A Musical Adventure (My first attempt at B.B King)

Post by VikingBlues »

Hi StratLover2. I liked your take on this BT. I remember I had CD of BTs I'd play and a Thrill is Gone BT was on it and would always seem to perk up my playing - you've made me want to find it and give it a spin. Good single take you did too - the "warm-up" is probably a good idea, it's normal in sports and other physical activities, so why not guitar. :thumbsup:

I guess the AS73 is a good choice for this style - from what I've seen of it (never tried one) it's a good choice for the "cleaner" end sounds in blues. Basically a good ES335-a'like.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

Hi VikingBlues!

Thanks very much for the nice comments! I believe that on the days I play at church, my chances of a good first take are higher than the days that I just start out by recording something, which then I usually have to do multiple takes before I am satsified with it.

The AS73 is a really nice guitar. With the Carvin V3 tube amp I have, I can get anything from Cream tones like Clapton had with his ES-335, to Led Zep tones, to B.B King esque tones (As shown by the sound I had), to even early '70s Santana sounds. It is a really versatile guitar, and a great one for the money.

Perhaps when I have time, I should have a group shot of my kids (guitars).

StratLover2
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

That was much to my likings :)
Would have choosen a little less overdrive myself, but this sounds good to :)
You should upload more, helps getting used to recording yourself
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

:thumbsup:
Sounds good!
I agree with HBL, I would have used less distortion on this piece, but your take sounds great.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

Hi Blindboy and HBL,

Thanks for the comments! I agree, I think I should have used a bit less drive. I'm still really getting used to the V3 amp, so it'll take time. I will be doing more recordings as I continue exploring the blues.

I am looking forward to uploading more songs.

StratLover2