First Steps in Recording

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
vancouverois

First Steps in Recording

Post by vancouverois »

A while ago I found a nice Peavey amp, a Backstage Plus.
It's a 35W solid state, it was my first amp when I started playing guitar.

I mostly play with the Tonelab due to noise concerns where I live and I'm a bit tired of amp modelers.
Today for a change I recorded the Peavey at low volume with a multipurpose mic and mixing table.
I really prefer the amp behaviour over the Tonelab, it seems more alive and reactive plus the mic placement can make wonders sometimes :drool:
More volume would have been a better thing, certainly next time :wink: but I'm already quite satisfied with this try.

No processing except a noise reduction due to a little hum/hiss coming from the cheapo mixing device.
Same amp settings for both tracks.

https://app.box.com/s/82swmgrsz5srucpddamu
Peavey Backstage Plus
Peavey Backstage Plus
IMAG0955a.jpg (94.25 KiB) Viewed 5619 times
Jan 15th 2007
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Re: First Steps in Recording

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

That was a surprise, great tone from the Backstage amp, almost Fenderish. Awesome.
Not wat I was expecting at all, The Peavey I owned had a totally different sound.
That's a keeper !
Did I mention I loved the playing on this one ! :clap: :clap:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

Yep sounds good, I know I usually recorded with a modeler of some kind generally I'm trying not to make to much noise in the house and sometimes just to lazy to set up an amp but when I use an amp I really notice the difference! Sounds good! Dan
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Being constrained by noise issues where you live is a swine - I know exactly that. Yes - modellers do lack the "real" quality of an amp reacting to the guitar. :wall:

I like what you've got using this. Just shows what can be got from a little SS amp (in the right hands!). :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

All right. Beautiful swing in accompaniment and clean and clear sound from your little workhorse of a amp.
That's the sentence that you want some feedback on the amp but I can not help but comment on playing. A piece of advice is to try with less is more in the solo. Now you might think I'm shitty who says so but it gets better with pauses so the excitement and the interest retained in the listener. This requires even me when I think about It, and I have to get into my head. Remind me when I pull away too fast.

But there was feedback on the sound you wanted and it's good in my sound system I have connected to my computer. Thumbs up...... :thumbsup:
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Thanks guys, glad you like it! :D
This amp is quite versatile and sounds a bit Marshally when overdriven. It is 30 years old and still going strong.
I like vintage MIA Peaveys, back in the '80s and '90s they were affordable, reliable and usually good sounding for the money.
Back then the M and F tube amps were in another price league.

MR, it's just a short demo and I just had the idea to mix two tracks to give an overview of the amp's tone.
I didn't spend that much time on it, the demo has a line of low strings notes, strummed chords and the "solo" just shows
the attack on the high strings to give the listener a little overview of this amp at low volume and clean.
Of course more volume would have given a better sound definition, next time when I have the opportunity.
On my side it's no competition, no stress and no OCD, just a spare time hobby and it's really better than watching crappy TV programs! :lol:
Jan 15th 2007
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

vancouverious ; This applies to me too. I watch almost never on TV.