El Mano's Indian Summer

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
ElMano

El Mano's Indian Summer

Post by ElMano »

I was eking for some late summer sun over here in Holland. Its stormy en cloudy weather. So i play some sunny & lazy slow in my small studio en recorded it, atfer i find a warm tone out of the Genesis Epi. I was lazy to so i left a lot of space for you out there Please play some blues with me and surprise me, with your guitarsound ore wailing harp. :drool: :wave: :harp: :music2: :clap:

download/file.php?id=258 (HBL mod edit : downloaded, re-uploaded with lowercase .mp3 extention & placed file inline)
Attachments

Indian Summer Blues.mp3 - (4.75 MiB)

You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Re: El Mano's Indian Summer

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Great Job ElMano now I'm going to be lazy and pull a re-use job on your song :) Just sit and wait :)
Here it is :)

Your version reminded me a (whole) lot of what I did with this BT when I created my "Leaving spaces", a song I still have way up in my own favorite list :lefty:
I used your track and mixed my guitar track, straight from the Leaving spaces session, into the giant space you left open. So if anyone else wants a shot they have to use your original :whistle:

download/file.php?id=259

I really, REALLY loved your guitar work on this one. Awsome ! :clap: :pray: I'm glad I tricked you into entering our small 12bar community. You fit in perfectly :welcome:

Next one plaese :beer:
Attachments

Indian Summer Blues remix-collab.mp3 - (4.47 MiB)

A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Hey ElMano, why don't we make this one our thing for the Trueland bluesforum promo-festival ?
Just the 2 of us and the BT if none of the other guys are interested
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

This is really remarkable :icon_whoknows: I did not play your version before so it is really onbeliveble how tight the playing off us both fits :drool: :drool: :pray: :pray: And i am glad that your so good with the recording stuff to get this out of it I am speechless and you know that is the first time hahahaha. This afternoon i also play a track for the Bluesharpforum to put there teeth's in. Perhaps you like it?
btw Thanks for the compliments, to much honor. :pray: :pray:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

I guess it's two things.

1 - connected musical (blues) souls
2 - the mood of the track forces this kind of lead playing

I felt this collab was so good I uploaded it to the Tired Starlings collab account Jim s and I have on soundclick JIM WHERE ARE YOU :motz: :tears: :wall: :cry:

Here is the link http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9569048
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

By whatever means and magic the two of you have come up with a startingly (or "Starlingly"?!) good collab. :clap: :clap:

I had been wondering about trying to do something with your original post ElMano but (a) I think everything that could be said has been done now, (b) it's set the bar too high for this BT - I can't click with it at the moment, and (c) I'm finding difficulty in even getting time to practice and play guitar. The sooner the self build project is done the better - ever thought why on earth you decided to do something?! :wall:

Great compatability of styles - is sympatico the word? :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Now you got me to feel little ashamed of myself VB. :D
Analyze what you are saying : :icon_whoknows:
(a) I think everything that could be said has been done now
(b) it's set the bar too high for this BT.

I took the easy way out :shy: and used the existing leadtrack from Leaving spaces for this one and by doing so I was the first one to upload a collab result. :banana:
Now you got me thinking "maybe I should have waited and upload as the last one" :think:

Remember playing music isn't a contest it's food for your soul.

I always feel nervous and have a giant heap of stage fright. Mainly because (opposed to normal life) I start thinking what will those other musicians think of me compared to... or what if I fail or suck..... etc
Don't start going down that road, pick up your axe and play something, just for the fun of playing. (that's an order :away: )

Remember how good our Old man of the sea collab was and still is ? I only did some lead fill ins and you did the whole -f^(king awesome song, including some great guitar work !

:big_smile:

/Hans
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Now you got me to feel little ashamed of myself VB. :D
Analyze what you are saying : :icon_whoknows:
(a) I think everything that could be said has been done now
(b) it's set the bar too high for this BT.

I took the easy way out :shy: and used the existing leadtrack from Leaving spaces for this one and by doing so I was the first one to upload a collab result. :banana:
Now you got me thinking "maybe I should have waited and upload as the last one" :think:
No, no, no no. I really admire what has been posted - musically it works so well - so sooner is best. :thumbsup:
HalfBlindLefty wrote:Remember playing music isn't a contest it's food for your soul.

I always feel nervous and have a giant heap of stage fright. Mainly because (opposed to normal life) I start thinking what will those other musicians think of me compared to... or what if I fail or suck..... etc
Don't start going down that road, pick up your axe and play something, just for the fun of playing. (that's an order :away: )

Remember how good our Old man of the sea collab was and still is ? I only did some lead fill ins and you did the whole -f^(king awesome song, including some great guitar work !

:big_smile:

/Hans
I didn't mean my post to sound like a negative comment on my own playing etc. But it was definitely meant as a positive comment on what I was hearing. I think there's an element of me being a bit grumpy which usually happens when I'm guitar building. Cries of "Why do it then Viking"? Goooood question.

Hmmm. For example I don't think ANYONE AT ALL should attempt to do a cover of "Man of the World", "Jumping at Shadows", or "Need Your Love so Bad" after Peter Green / Fleetwod Mac have said all that needs to be said and more. I know that some of these were covers but they're definitive covers and brought huge extra quality to the songs. Likewise when John Lee Hooker has done "Tupelo" no-one else should think about adding to it as all they'll do is subtract from it. :naughty:

Really - as I said - I've had a listen and nothing at present "clicks" for me anyway with the BT - in the absence of that it's usually best advice to either wait until it does in it's own good time or to fing something that does click. The "Old Man" was a creative highspot which I greatly enjoyed (and I greatly enjoyed those lead fills) - there was a case in point of "clicking" with the BT and going with the flow. :D

I've enjoyed the Caged Bird that came out of the two chord challenge - a most unexpected result for me and not intended. But I did get that itch to the musical part of my brain that started up pretty well on first hearing the BT - simple and slow and just two chords as it may have been. I love that feeling of a connection musically.
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

This backtrack and the excellent playing I heard on the track of the first post made me feeling like noodling around with that one.
Here is my take.... :away:

download/file.php?id=262
Attachments

ISB_Van.mp3 - (7.13 MiB)

Jan 15th 2007
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

vancouverois wrote:This backtrack and the excellent playing I heard on the track of the first post made me feeling like noodling around with that one.
Here is my take.... :away:

download/file.php?id=262
Ooops - was I wrong big time. As in "(a) I think everything that could be said has been done now, (b) it's set the bar too high for this BT". :shy:

This is another really seamless collaboration - meshes so well and beautiful tones and note choices vancouverois - matches up with ElManos beautiful tones and note choices. :clap: :clap:

I should not mistake my own lack of inspiration on a piece for anything other than that. It's that "clicking" again.

As you said "made me feel like noodling around". :banana:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:pray: :pray: :pray:
That's so great, the sound, the licks, how it fits together - I wish I had more time to play!
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I've had a bit of time on my hands for a change. :banana:
I need to get the hang of the "Strat" and keep fine tuning the playing action .... so .... I thought I'd finally give it a go at joining in on this one. :yikes:

Now in my defence - the style of the peice is very outside my normal - I've tried to fit in with ElManos style as far as I could but you'll notice it's a bit of a struggle at times. I've left the first bit and the last minute pretty much alone where ElManos playing lead, just very, very quiet occasional notes in the background. I've left any note flurries to ElMano - I cannae do that fast stuff. :alright:

I think I ended up with the Strat at the middle position, but I'm not 100% sure after the event - I think I had intended it to be middle + neck, but I forgot to move the selector. I've not quite got the hang of the dynamics and volume settings so you'll notice a couple of digital distorts where I got a bit heavy handed. :sad:

I'm not sure if I've made it an Indian Summer - it's maybe too mournful for that - more like the end of summer - oh well! :icon_whoknows:

download/file.php?id=291
Attachments

ElMano's Indian Summer + VB
ElMano Indian Collab VB.mp3 - (4.75 MiB)

HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Well, it seems like our Viking found some great verbs to say :)
Good one VB, The strat is sounding good. You thought the right pu combination, -soundwise-, but this selection dos the trick to.
Keep using this collab to tune the strat and after a coupler of days you'll be supprised about how familiar the song becomes and the improvement in ease of playing for yourself.

Good job :clap:
MidnightSpecial

Post by MidnightSpecial »

A very rainy day in august inspired me to look for an... Indian Summer (bluesharp fits in well too, isn't it? :cool: )

http://www.box.net/shared/1t7pi6ny01

Greetz, Louis
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

:chicken: :chicken: :chicken: :chicken: To all the people who's out there an think Wow. I can tel you proudly that Midnight special is the bluesharper in my band: The Chitlin Crew :harp: :beer: Louis we all are proud to have you aboard man. :peace:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

MidnightSpecial wrote:A very rainy day in august inspired me to look for an... Indian Summer (bluesharp fits in well too, isn't it? :cool: )
Fits in very well. Something Special from MidnightSpecial - you mesh in well with ElMano's style and I see from ElMano's post you play together.
It shows. :D
Good stuff. :clap: :clap:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Well, it seems like our Viking found some great verbs to say :)
Good one VB, The strat is sounding good. You thought the right pu combination, -soundwise-, but this selection dos the trick to.
Keep using this collab to tune the strat and after a coupler of days you'll be supprised about how familiar the song becomes and the improvement in ease of playing for yourself.

Good job :clap:
Thanks HBL - learning all the time. :big_smile:

Well trying to learn and hoping it "clicks" and "sticks". :icon_whoknows:

I'll keep trying to follow your advice. When I first listened to the song with a view to playing with it I just couldn't get the hang of it at all - that improved a bit, though I don't know why other than gradually absorbing the music (into my poor tired old brain!).

Therefore continued listening / playing with it could well make it more and more understandable for me. I did find that getting the tone in the right ball park helped a lot though.
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Good Job VB, it sounds good :clap: :clap:
I guess this new Strat is going to become a tone machine :music2:
Jan 15th 2007