My Lemon Drops Taste of Sorrow

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

My Lemon Drops Taste of Sorrow

Post by VikingBlues »

So I've done my happy sounding recording for the year.

Here's a stab at an improv on a very basic 3 chord 8 bar backing.

Lemon Drop guitar x 2 : Lead panned right, Chordy bits panned left. Just the Super Champ XD and line out.

First takes with warts and all (to match my thumb!). Horrible wrong note at 2:56 and a really bad bend at the end I'm afraid. But fun to do! :cool:

:music2: download/file.php?id=2595
Attachments

My Lemon Drops Taste of Sorrow - VB goes gloomy again.
My Lemon Drops Taste of Sorrow.mp3 - (3.59 MiB)

An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
losaavedra

Re: My Lemon Drops Taste of Sorrow

Post by losaavedra »

Well, I didn't spot any warts, so played it again and even then couldn't convince myself about a note at 2:56!!! And the 'bend on the end', OK its a bit truncated but at least you attempt endings whereas, mainly (because I usually mess 'em up) I just fade stuff out! About the only thing I might observe is that, because the backing 'builds' there's an opportunity for the treatment of the melody to build too. One way might be to add some roughness (bit more overdrive or whatever) in the final couple of verses. Pretty darn good on the whole as it is though. Sounds to me like you have a pretty inspirational guitar there. Well done!
Mike
"I feel more like I do now than when I first came on" (Ronnie Scott, Maidstone)
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

A very tricky rhythm, but you keep the timing well. Killer tone again, and some very nice dramatic bends!
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Not bad at all, well played and kudos to get out of the comfort zone so easily.
:clap: :thumbsup:
Jan 15th 2007
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Yeah ...... I heard a single note wrong and it is where you said and equal to bending at the end. Otherwise, I hear no wrong. So do not hang up on the small mistakes you made. I know it's hard not to be perfect but then it's us who embarked on the difficult to play the guitar.
Well done........... :clap: :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks guys! :D

I should mention that the backing track is from playGuitar.com - they had a special deal on 30 rock backing tracks and I fancied a change of focus . I do like to try out things a bit out of the comfort zone. Maybe I'm mad! :nuts:
losaavedra wrote:Sounds to me like you have a pretty inspirational guitar there. Well done!
This Lemon Drop guitar is making that wider range more easily accessible somehow. Magical .... I am just over the moon about it so far. :dance:
losaavedra wrote:About the only thing I might observe is that, because the backing 'builds' there's an opportunity for the treatment of the melody to build too. One way might be to add some roughness (bit more overdrive or whatever) in the final couple of verses.
That thought was occurring to me too when I was playing. Tried to get enough variation with picking strength and the guitar volume knob(s) - but, yes, needed more. Possibly a boost pedal would have been useful.
Having said that I love the sound of this guitar so much I'm not sure how much I want to roughen it up?
I also wondered about adding some slide at the end - might still look at that. :icon_whoknows:
MichaelRobinson wrote:Yeah ...... I heard a single note wrong and it is where you said and equal to bending at the end. Otherwise, I hear no wrong. So do not hang up on the small mistakes you made. I know it's hard not to be perfect but then it's us who embarked on the difficult to play the guitar.
Very true. And I would rather have a first take with a couple of obvious clangers than to go through multiple takes in the search for a perfect take only to find the "inspiration" dries up.
12bar wrote:Killer tone again
With my old arthritic fingers tone is about my main weapon - I'm so glad to find my new baby has such good tone for me. I'm hardly using the pinkie on the fretting hand at the moment due to the swelling of the joint nearest the nail. :sad:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Quite true. Perfectionism you carries kill creativity very efficiently.
To much analytical and self critisism kills desire.