Lose a Day on Tuesday

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Lose a Day on Tuesday

Post by VikingBlues »

I got an e-mail today with a link to a very good and also free backing tracks from Playguitar.com. :D

As yesterday was ghastly and today, Tuesday, was even worse I felt in need of some impromptu playing tonight. While downloading the backing track I noodled a phrase or two with the Hagstrom unplugged. I imported the BT into the DAW - played it once with the Hagstrom plugged in - then recorded a one take track (panned left). Played that result back once with the Lemon Drop plugged in - then recorded a one take track (panned right) using that.

So it's way short of being error free and not exactly very well thought out and structured!

Both guitars just through the Super Champ XD Tweed setting (voice 2) with bit of reverb (of course) and both on neck pick up.

I quite enjoyed venting a bit of frustration out in the music. :angry: Well short of what I'd like but still best job so far of the double lead guitar format that I've managed. Does benefit from playback at higher volume though.

download/file.php?id=2590

Two things strike me - (1) Wednesday is likely to be worse than Monday and Tuesday combined! :sad: (2) The Wilkinson pickups on the Lemon Drop do a great job of competing with the massively more expensive Seymour Duncan / Seth Lover SH55 pickups in the Hagstrom! :clap:
Attachments

Lose a Day on Tuesday - a quick and dirty improv
Lose a Day on Tuesday.mp3 - (3.58 MiB)

An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
vancouverois

Re: Lose a Day on Tuesday

Post by vancouverois »

I like it, the blend of the two guitars bring a lot, it has a JJ Cale little something, well done! :clap: :pray:
VikingBlues wrote:Wednesday is likely to be worse than Monday and Tuesday combined! :sad:
Lord, and Wednesday's worse
And Thursday's all so sad.
:cool:
Jan 15th 2007
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

vancouverois wrote:I like it, the blend of the two guitars bring a lot, it has a JJ Cale little something, well done! :clap: :pray:
Agree! :clap:
I also hear some Mike Oldfield :eye_rub: here and there...
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

VB

I hear you and I do not think you are deliberately trying to copy anyone although some similarity with other guitarists are included.
Great job.............. :clap: :thumbsup:
losaavedra

Post by losaavedra »

Really like the sounds in there ... nice repetitive riffy things like that always get my foot tapping! Different style from you I think, very interesting. Look forward to more.
Mike
"I feel more like I do now than when I first came on" (Ronnie Scott, Maidstone)
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks guys - glad you liked it! :D

I wish I'd been able to employ the usual four fingers of the left hand on the fretboard but I'm trying to avoid using the pinkie. Rather big arthritic swelling at the joint nearest the finger nail - seems to be easing thankfully.
vancouverois wrote:Lord, and Wednesday's worse
And Thursday's all so sad.
:cool:
Well I survived Wednesday without needing sedation ... just about. But of course what didn't get done today will need finished tomorrow so I guess what you say may apply tomorrow when Thursday arrives.
MichaelRobinson wrote:VB

I hear you and I do not think you are deliberately trying to copy anyone although some similarity with other guitarists are included.
Great job.............. :clap: :thumbsup:
True Michael ... I've worked so hard at trying to develop my own style I don't think I can deliberately play like anyone else now anyway. But - to have some nuances of JJ Cale of Mike Oldfield will do me fine. :cool:
losaavedra wrote:Really like the sounds in there ... nice repetitive riffy things like that always get my foot tapping! Different style from you I think, very interesting. Look forward to more.
The great thing about a good new guitar is it lends itself to being played in a bit of a different way - and if I can recognise it then each guitar will allow me to sound a bit different and have a bit more variety.

The Lemon Drop does seem to like the riffy thing ... not something I usually do. So while the Hagstrom part is mainly single lead notes the Lemon Drop is a mix of rhythm, crunchy little mini chords, but also a rather nice lead single note sound too. So far the more I play it the more I'm impressed. Nice to get a lot of value for not too much cash. :dance:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

SWEET! :clap: This is a great jam! Well played, I would have had trouble riding it this long without running out of stuff to say.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:SWEET! :clap: This is a great jam! Well played, I would have had trouble riding it this long without running out of stuff to say.
Thanks Blindboy - appreciate your listening and being so positive about it! :thumbsup: Hope your health issue is going OK. :fingerscrossed:

On this recording it did help with splitting myself into two slightly different sounding players - I think that gave a bit of extra distance that it could go. Plus something about the backing was very encouraging to have a go over and was remarkably supportive of melodic lines. :D