Chitlin Crew. Afther a year we Sounds like this

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
ElMano

Chitlin Crew. Afther a year we Sounds like this

Post by ElMano »

januari 2012 i stopped whit the formation Chitlin Crew. No inspiration, no progression after finishing the CD. The production of the 2e CD Double Dutch take a lot of time and energy. In the meanwhile i wrote a bunch of music and lyrics but didn't record ore play to often. A good friend MAKS was working on a project "Winter In Vegas" This C.D is out now and on that CD i played a couple of tracks on the fret less bass i build myself. I like it so much that i made the decision to play bass in a band, and start looking for a couple musicians. In April i found a marvelous drummer and a week later an incredible talented young guy (29) on guitar. We played a couple of weeks whit a French couple (man guitar and wife vocals) but they want to play more than strictly blues. So we quit and go on the tree of us.
We where booked for a Gig and we ask a guy who had done an audition a year before by Chitlin Crew, he want to do the vocals on that gig. That Gig worked out, and we asked him to think it over to join us ( waiting on his answer now :pray: hahaha)

last Sunday we recorded in the rehearse room soma raw tracks so we can used them to made the lyrics fit in. This Monday evening we did the same whit the singer whit some lyrics. This tracks need some working like a converse to MP3 and cleaned up some cutting and so on.

The first tracks i wanted to share whit you and i like to hear your opinion.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1

You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Chitlin Crew. Afther a year we Sounds like this

Post by 12bar »

Interesting news! If I understand right, your new band is again called Chitlin Crew?

Sounds like you have fun playing - so much energy!

Song 1: in the spirit of John Lee Hooker, pure fun
Song 2: slow Blues in perfection, not overplayed, a bit of SRV/Albert King feeling
Song 3: nice jamming and bass melody, a bit more bass volume would be nice
Song 4: Texas shuffle, again lots of SRV feeling

:clap:

Hope you'll get the right vocals! :fingerscrossed:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Good to hear your enthusiasm has been sparked into life. :D

The sounds on the recordings tell me you've gelled well as a unit. You're right about the high qualities of the drummer and guitarist - the guitarist is very fluent and has some great tones in his arsenal - and you also play a mean bass BTW.

The recordings show too that you're covering a wide variety of styles / tempos very effectively - I've tried the first three tracks so far and they're very different. The third one "bass trip" has some very tasty bass on it - well played. :cool: These tracks sound very good on their own without vocals.

Sounds to me like you're on a winner already. If you can get a good singer too - wow!! Look forward to hearing that. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Thanks for your kind words! I know that this trio has some potential. If it is in my hands i will try to get this on the Dutch stage. whit a setlist of 24 own compositions and 6 covers (as far as i can see the work that is in our hands now) The biggest problem is the vocals :thumbsdown: I know that i can do some but is far below the potential of this band.

I hop to post some of the try out whit the vocalist/writer we have last Monday evening.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Sounding good El Mano! :thumbsup: I like what I hear. Nice bass playing, and the drums and guitar are tasty too. Makes me wish I could sit in! :cool:
Hope y'all get some vocals sorted out. (that can be the hardest thing :roll: ) Looking forward to hearing more.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

It was a buzzy week Found a singer! Recorded this afternoon for the first time. This is raw material No high tech stuff Just 2 mics in the room and an USB panel into a laptop (musicmaker 2007) $ songs 1 take 1 time we play in this format ( even the lines where new. :think:

Let me know what you think of it please

https://app.box.com/s/zxjtikldv7utdxx7xovb
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Translated with Googel translator.

Yes. It sounds rewarding this. Recorded in a real studio this will surely be really good.................. :clap: :thumbsup:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

The singer fits perfect to the band and the recording sounds as if it's live from a Blues club. In other words: perfect, congratulations! :clap:
A pretty damn good guitar player...
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Sounds great to me! :thumbsup:
Looking forward to hearing more. :big_smile:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Sounds like you've got the right sort of singer there - well found! :thumbsup:

Might be a raw recording but the qualities of all the group members comes through loud and clear. :clap:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:welcome: to our forum!
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

CCJohn2nd wrote:I just made me a account on this forum, thx for this nice reactions, i hope to see you soon on stage..
:welcome: to the forum! :big_smile:

Looking forward to hearing more from this line up.
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

This Sunday we are able to record some more stuff and rehearse the first tracks. The settings for the recording are also much more known ad we hope it take less time to get some good stuff on the PC

I want to thank you all for your response! Because it give us some idea how you guys are judge it. The problem is the (quit high) self critic you have to your own sound. And the poor way we have to do the recording without a extra guy to work on the program and the PC ( The input level, to start and stop and so on) :alright:

We keep you informed :cool:
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Last week we signed in for a band Battle named Band Boost. This battle is for bands that play's only there own compositions. Before they accept your notification, you have to show some music. This are the four songs that we send in. You can find them on our site www.chitlincrew.com and on soundclick

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... id=1088990

The songs are life recorded in the rehearsal room.
We love to hear your opinion
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Sounds very good ElMano. You play the bass like a pro and your guitarplayer is top !
Hope you make it into that battle !
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Sorry ElMano.

Saw this update of yours on Saturday morning, didn't have time to listen, thought I'd do it later that day. And I forgot.

I agree on all counts with HBL - it sounds very good and you play a mean bass. Very tight knit group. :cool:

Good luck with the battle. :thumbsup: :fingerscrossed:
losaavedra

Post by losaavedra »

Makings of a very good band here. Bass and drums working very well together just as it should be, vocals & guitar also. Room acoustics don't do you guys justice however. Vocals (I think) would come across far better if more to the fore, ie. closer to the recording mic, with a background spread (panned) of other instrumentation. At present track sounds all emanate from the same point in audio spread which can lead to a bit of mushiness in which the vocals can almost disappear! Nothing wrong with the band itself ... its just the room acoustics and final audio mix that's letting you down a bit. Well done anyway!!!
Mike
"I feel more like I do now than when I first came on" (Ronnie Scott, Maidstone)
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Thanks you guys for your response! :pray: The recordings are starting to be a problem now. The band is live a lot better sounding than the recording shows.
We try to find a solution for that. But It is not possible to record every instrument/ cq voice on separate tracks. We use an old XP laptop and a version of musicmaker 2007. We picked up the signals from the cab's whit a mic in front, and the voice from a monitor. In to a Helix board from Phonix wich has an USB port.
The acoustic in the room is horrible ( formal school local ) The recording is running while we rehearsal but it is just one block-golf :thumbsdown:
But we need to record because we are trying to create a melodie but none of us is able to write music notation :mercy: So if we want to remember what we have played and do it again :high5:

We where lookin around for some help and some better stuff for recording so it can be worked out afterwards. The main goal now is to get on stage A.S.A.P. so we can shoot a proper video of that gig. We have someone for that And we have been asked to play in the club where we do the 1e tryout, ( they have a marvelous sound engeneer working there) and a Hockeyclub.
Beside that we can do some stage experience as starter band for a Jam session organizer.( 4/6 times a month) From now on we start to rehearse on Sunday afternoon and on Monday Evening to get the routine and the exact timing wich is needed for the battle (30 minutes exact! in the first battle)

I am great full for your comments witch are very use full for us because it is quit difficult to get some proper tools while you playing whit out audience, and wit we do only once till now ( and only covers)
Specially input how to do a better and representative recording sound are more than welcome.

We keep you informed!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Beter recording ? well, you need someone to control the mixer's and the computer's settings during recording.
Enough microphones. Due to the bad acoustic props of the room, I would try close mic-ing.
Or just drop me an email :)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Elmano ..
I see on your soundclick you play Robben Ford's BT. I have also tried me on his style, but for me it's hard to believe how he's doing. I think it's a difficult thing to play after his BT's. You can do it much better than me.

This is probably beyond the point of your thread but I can not help myself.