Just Chillin'

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
ratfinkdan

Just Chillin'

Post by ratfinkdan »

Hey Guys

I recently bought an 11 rack, you can get great deals on them on e bay new in the box without the pro tools, just couldn't pass it up. Very easy to tweak and program and they sound really good. This is the first recording I've done using it, BT from my boss micro br80, used my Les Paul studio added rhythm guitars and lead. I was unwinding from a rough week of work and life, Just Chillin' . Enjoy! Dan

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12408343
Blindboy

Re: Just Chillin'

Post by Blindboy »

Pretty nice. :thumbsup:
Good natural sounding tones and sweet playing.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Very nice sounds Dan. Well played too, which obviously helps a lot. :clap: :thumbsup:

Good choice in the Eleven Rack. :high5: I've heard David Wallimann using one of these to very good effect (he used one for two years before he had the success that meant he could afford the Axe FX II I think) and it struck me as the only possible piece of gear I could aspire to that does a proper job of amp simulation if you want natural sounds and that realistic effect with the use of guitar volume control. The Axe FX II is way out of any budget I might have - even used!

I'll be very interested to see how you get on with it longer term.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Sweet. Clean and good sound and great playing by yourself.... :clap:
Excuse me but I do not know what a Eleven rack is. Can you explain what it for a curious old man?
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

MichaelRobinson wrote:Excuse me but I do not know what a Eleven rack is. Can you explain what it for a curious old man?
The Eleven Rack is a hardware unit designed for recording and live use. Essentially amp, cabinet, microphone and fx emulations, but done to a much higher standard than the usual multi fx units on offer. Has a particularly good realistic response to changes in a guitars volume - the way good amps and pedals do. Does MIDI, works as standalone into PA / speaker / amp or as USB interface.

I'm interested to hear Dan tell us all how it feels to work with it - how easy it is / how much it meets expectations etc. Does it respond as nicely to playing as people say? Oh - and did you use existing presets or set up your own sounds, and if you did was it pretty easy?
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Found this on Eleven Rack. It's a side of Thomann.de. http://www.thomann.de/se/avid_eleven_rackpro_tools.htm I also checked e-bay and saw that there are new Eleven Rack cheap there. Tempting with simulations but I have other holes to put the money in having a higher priority.
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

Hey Guys, thanks I'm glad your liking the tune! I'm really liking the 11 rack, I've had it a month or so although this is the first recording I've done with it. I have played with all the boss and line6 stuff and would love to have an axe fx also but there is no way I can afford even a used one, I've been using modelers direct and in a live setting for years in the church band that I play in.

The 11 rack is probably the easiest processor there is to program, the amp tones sound very realistic, it really only takes a couple of minutes to dial in an amp sim and then just add what ever fx you want, not as many fx choices as some of the other processor but the ones that are there all sound very good! I used 2 patches on the recording a fender twin for the rhythm guitars and a matchless for the lead both with just a touch of overdrive, delay and reverb, these were patches I created. I have tried using it live, took it to a couple of practices although its going to take a bit more tweaking before I really use it during a service. For live use the Boss gt100 I have been using is more convenient to use at this point, the 11 rack sounds better than the boss but the boss is layed out much better for live use although many people use these live. The 11 rack does feel more like your playing through a real amp than the other modelers I've tried, its very responsive to how hard you pick or your guitar volume very much like an amp. Its pretty amazing how good the newer modelers are, I would love to play through a kemper or an axe fx to see how much better those sound and feel, but this is probably as far up the modeler ladder that I can afford to go. Again there are really great deals on these on ebay right now, I'll post more recordings as time goes on, I really want to play with the marshall plexi amp sim to see how that sounds. Thanks guys sorry if this was a bit long. Dan
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I like the sound of what you've said about the Eleven Rack - it's certainly confirmed my existing impressions of the gear. The responsiveness you've highlighted is worth a great deal - much, much better to have the right sound AND feel, and not just the right sound. :cool:
ratfinkdan wrote: I would love to play through a kemper or an axe fx to see how much better those sound and feel, but this is probably as far up the modeler ladder that I can afford to go.
I said exactly that about the Eleven Rack being the maximum money that I would possibly consider for a modeller on another forum recently - nice to know I'm not alone. :big_smile:

David Wallimann did a video comparing the Eleven Rack and Axe fx II. The main advantage he mentioned for the Axe fx II was that he can record both a clean and a processed signal at the same time, so he can re-amp and change the fx and tone after the recording has been done and give extra possibilities (the Eleven Rack apparently only does this in ProTools) - but that's certainly not a "must have" feature for me.

Difficult to tell about the sound differences on YouTube sound quality but in his demo of the sounds from the two of the same three basic amps the sounds were "different" but I would hesitate to say whether any were "better" or "worse".
ratfinkdan wrote:not as many fx choices as some of the other processor but the ones that are there all sound very good!
With Eleven Rack v Axe FX II the Axe has more amp models (>70 v16), and more fx (35 v 18).

The list of the amps and fx the Eleven Rack has seem to pretty well cover the bases as far as I can see. Not sure if there's a huge advantage to the extra choices on the Axe fx II - certainly not at the price premium. I suspect that, from past experience, with any modeller I'm unlikely to use more than 3 or 4 amp models on a regular basis.
ratfinkdan wrote:The 11 rack is probably the easiest processor there is to program
That's worth a lot and ties in with what I've seen in the demos. Seemed to me that the editing process was also quick and did not involve layered menus and multi function buttons. I tried to use a Boss GT-8 for a while - good sounds, but a lot of editing to get there and an interface that meant it was no wonder there's a need for instructional DVDs on how to use the dratted thing.

I look forward to hearing more from it (and you). All good - pleased that it's working well for you. :drool: