Back again....

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
DarcyHoover

Back again....

Post by DarcyHoover »

Hey guys, hardly a blues....but definitely blues based. Been living and working in East Africa for the past two years, calling myself Mzungu Witchdoctor....
Found I could play a base line with my Les Paul and use cubebase to lower it an octave....

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1
losaavedra

Re: Back again....

Post by losaavedra »

Enjoyed this one ... but even more your prolific lyric writing talent in the the large amount of stuff you've got on Soundclick. And, refreshingly, not a BT in sight (I got a lot of time for DIY bluesmen!). Keep 'em coming!
Mike
"I feel more like I do now than when I first came on" (Ronnie Scott, Maidstone)
DarcyHoover

Post by DarcyHoover »

Thanks! Not too prolific these days, life is cutting into my creativity and free time too much nowadays, but it's nice to get something out every once in awhile. I play a ton of covers but only bother recording my own stuff, for the most part. I had fun with this one!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:wave: back! Must be a year or so since your last post...
Great one - lots of pure raw energy playing! :clap:
DarcyHoover

Post by DarcyHoover »

Thanks. Been working/living in East Africa, Tanzania near the Mozambique border. Internet is sporadic at best, and not much free time for forum and songwriting unfortunately. I must say I'm quite enjoying it though.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:welcome: back. This recording is very lively and full of energy and fun! :clap: :thumbsup:

Kudos for doing the one man band job too .... great that you can do your own backing to that level - a lot of us have to rely on BTs due to the horrible mess that results if we don't! :yikes:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
DarcyHoover

Post by DarcyHoover »

I saw this Canadian guy, Danny Michel, years ago, that inspired me. He gets up on stage by himself (opened for Great Big Sea) and starts playing a riff, steps in his looping pedal, walks over to his drums and does the same, then the bass.....just by manipulating a couple of looping pedals, he was doing this phenomenal live show all by himself! It was brilliant, and he managed to keep everything flowing! So I got myself a Boss RC-2 and with a bit of practice, figured out how to put bits together myself. Of course for recording, I record the drums first (using the looping pedal, I find a beat that works and set the tempo and record like five minutes or so) then monitoring that I do the guitar bits, then monitoring those do the vocal, then add lead if I'm going to. I use the RC-2 to write a lot, not sitting down to write, just to jam but sometimes something catches my ear and I work at developing it into a song, then when I think it's ready, I go to the recording scenario. I kind of messed up that last one, as I just jammed over what I had and the lead is all over the main guitar, I should have been much more judicial, but it kind of adds to the frantic nature I think.....

The lyrics are the tricky bit. I typically have the entire song recorded first then listen to it over and over and over until something starts to click, a mood, and I think about what I want the lyrics to be about, then start putting words and rhyming and working on how it works with the tempo...generally I want to write deeper lyrics but they always sound so pretentious, and I generally bring them down to bar room level eventually.....
Bluez2move

Post by Bluez2move »

Nice to see u posting again :cool:

Good job on this :thumbsup: