No Thought in Aeolian

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

No Thought in Aeolian

Post by VikingBlues »

Trying out a Harley Benton delay pedal (bit unfashionable :shy: ) with a David Wallimann backing track "Aeolian Thoughts". Not sure what genre it is - sort of instrumental rock ballad I guess - which doesn't exist as a Soundclick category.

Trying to have no thoughts while playing and go where the mood of the music takes me.

Stopping that analytical part of my brain doing anything as advised by Kenny Werner in the Masterclass thread I've posted elsewhere. That side of my brain has been used way too much in the past couple of months.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12187457

This is the PRS SE. Which keeps reminding me every time I play it just now how damn good a guitar it is. :cool: To think I'd been thinking it would be relegated to backup duties when I got that SG! :wall: Microphone recording off the SuperChamp XD (Blackface voice) and the Palmer Overdrive in the pedal chain before the delay pedal.

Only ever really used a small bit of delay before. Trying to use it more as a major effect here and maybe overdone it. :icon_whoknows:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Re: No Thought in Aeolian

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

:clap: :clap:

I like it a lot VB, Took you some time into the song to switch of the o'l brains didn't it :)
I was waiting for you to kick in the Palmer and play a screaming leadline or two. :sad: Would have contraster beautifully with the subdued playing in the song.
Good one :thumbsup:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Dogman

Post by Dogman »

Beautiful sound. I don't think the delay is over the top at all.
Very nice!
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Ahhhhhw.....thoughts drifting away indeed! Very soulful, and melodic. I think the delay is gorgeous in this piece! very smooth jazzy, blues feel....did I here a few octave in there :)

Well done VB....
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Sweet tone & mellow jazzy playing - seems like tytlblues and his octave playing is a major influence recently! :clap:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks fellers - appreciate the encouragement - especially when I'm trying something a bit different. :D
HalfBlindLefty wrote:Took you some time into the song to switch of the o'l brains didn't it :)
True .., interested (and not surprised) you spotted that. I was well in the zone. Stopped for 2 minutes to set up microphone and fire up the DAW. Just that brief delay while doing non-creative stuff was enough to kick the wrong side of the brain into action. Did run to a second take before I ran out of time and had to go to work, but there were too many bum notes that time.
HalfBlindLefty wrote:I was waiting for you to kick in the Palmer and play a screaming leadline or two. :sad: Would have contraster beautifully with the subdued playing in the song.
I've been waiting for 40 years for me to play a screaming solo! :lol: But yes - you're right - would contrast well. Maybe one day.
Dogman wrote:I don't think the delay is over the top at all.
Glad to hear you say that! Funny thing with delay - using that amount of delay just playing the guitar only when nothing else is going on sounds a mess - but add the backing track so the delay notes merge into the mix and it adds resonance rather than mess - nice effect. Embarassed to admit I've only just realised that obvious fact.
tytlblues wrote:did I here a few octave in there :)
12bar wrote:seems like tytlblues and his octave playing is a major influence recently!
You did hear a few octaves Tytl ... and you're guilty as charged! :lol:

The BT is saying Jazzy I guess and David Wallimanns major influence is Jazz. Combine that with the influence of Tytl here .... and we have Jazzy VB.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

That was very tastefully done VB! I had to pick up my guitar and play along, with my V3MC on clean! Of course, I did not play nearly as artfully and skillfully as you, but I picked up on the key and began improvising along with your guitar. It inspired me to just relax and play and not think too hard!