Too Blue

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Too Blue

Post by VikingBlues »

Trying for Less - revisited.

One of ElMano's backing tracks produced this.
I have a feeling I could do it more justice but I enjoyed getting back to trying this concept so much I thought I'd post the result. :banana:

I'll probably have another go at this one. I'm flirting with the danger of getting "Less is Less" rather than "Less is More".

Thanks again ElMano for the BTs. :thumbsup:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9503372
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Strummer07

Re: Too Blue

Post by Strummer07 »

Nice track VB ....you have a pretty impressive output going on at the mo!! .where are you finding time to sand and construct and hone ???

Difficult BT as the piano is quite prominent, so you don't need to be playing over that too much .........which you don't

and your licks seem to fit the pretty laid back feel to the piece.

Its now a kind of quiet conversation between th piano and the guitar .
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Strummer07 wrote:Nice track VB ....you have a pretty impressive output going on at the mo!! .where are you finding time to sand and construct and hone ???

Difficult BT as the piano is quite prominent, so you don't need to be playing over that too much .........which you don't

and your licks seem to fit the pretty laid back feel to the piece.

Its now a kind of quiet conversation between th piano and the guitar .
Thanks Strummer :D - I'm hoping the conversation between guitar and piano isn't too quiet :icon_whoknows: - it's sort of easy to get sucked into just playing some pretty notes, but losing out on melodic structure. Trying to find sort of themes and patterns which re-occur and give the listener something to latch onto. Very difficult to spot if this has happened with your own work as you're too close to it - at least until enough time gives you distance to listen more objectively.

I liked the general sound of the BT and the piano made it a bit different and interesting for me. I tried to add variety by playing pentatonic minor for the first half and the bringing in the extra notes of the Aeolian mode at around 2 minutes. There wasn't such an obvious "hook" on this BT like with the ZZ Top BT that started this quest for "Less is More", but I hope I've managed to get some repeated phrases that give some structure.

[The sanding, constructing, honing is slightly on hold while I decide on scratchplates, bridges, pickups, and wait for the neck. I'm not certain yet about the finish I'll do on the strat so I'm not ordering any grain filler etc yet - when I do it'll kick start me into building mode.]
bluesinbflat

Post by bluesinbflat »

Sounding good VB, very soulful playing.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

bluesinbflat wrote:Sounding good VB, very soulful playing.
Thank you bflat :D - wish I could feel as mellow in the working day, or have as much fun for that matter. I love the way my head feels when I'm playing guitar and listening to the notes singing. :roll:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:clap: Wonderful playing and tone! Great to play along somewhere in A minor...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote::clap: Wonderful playing and tone! Great to play along somewhere in A minor...
Thank you 12bar for your generous comments. Ahhh - if only real life were like this! :big_smile:
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

:music2: Great job VB... you never cease to amaze... wonderful sound!
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford