Jazzy Bossa Nova Blues Thing Collab...

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
Blindboy

Jazzy Bossa Nova Blues Thing Collab...

Post by Blindboy »

Thought I would make a seperate thread for this... Viking Blues allowed as to how he might be up for a collab on this BT. It is kind of jazzy but Dm blues scales work. Probably a nice venue for some minor modal stuff too (for those of you who get modes :whistle: ) Anyone else interested?
download/file.php?id=200
Attachments

Bossa collab1.mp3 - (4.83 MiB)

"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Re: Jazzy Bossa Nova Blues Thing Collab...

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:Thought I would make a seperate thread for this... Viking Blues allowed as to how he might be up for a collab on this BT. It is kind of jazzy but Dm blues scales work. Probably a nice venue for some minor modal stuff too (for those of you who get modes :whistle: ) Anyone else interested?
download/file.php?id=200
OK Bb - I've picked up the BT and I'll have a go at the next bit in the next 24 hours (assuming no more unexpected issues / problems get in the way). :thumbsup:

Now how do I play this? :yikes:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

24 hours and 20 minutes later - well nearly in the within 24 hours promise.

Here we go ... 2 - 3 - 4 (or whatever it would be for a Bossa count in!). :banana:

Next section done. That's the piece about a quarter done. Anyone want to jump in? The water's lovely and there's a tasty bit of guitar / piano interplay up for grabs in this next section. :drool:

Failing that Bb we can just take turns?

This is a cool piece - unexpectedly enjoyed it a lot. Hagstrom again - can't put it down just now. :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

Hope this recording I've done is OK Bb - does the volume need toned down slightly on my guitar? :icon_whoknows:

download/file.php?id=202
Attachments

Second section done. Blindboy, VikingBlues.
Bossa Collab2.mp3 - (4.83 MiB)

Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

:clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
Sweet! Very tasty, your volume is fine and the Hagstrom is singing.
It is kind of a fun piece, isn't it.
I will let this ride until my weekend (Sun, Mon) and see if anyone else jumps in (C'mon Fellers...). If not I'll do another couple of verses.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote::clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
Sweet! Very tasty, your volume is fine and the Hagstrom is singing.
It is kind of a fun piece, isn't it.
I will let this ride until my weekend (Sun, Mon) and see if anyone else jumps in (C'mon Fellers...). If not I'll do another couple of verses.
Thanks - good to know it's OK - and it is fun, you're right. :thumbsup:

Shame about this deafening silence. :think:

Well - see how it goes - if it's just up to us then I'll jump in again after you - I'll be up for that. :D
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Oke Guy's i have played on this track an i save a couple of tracks. I am afraid that i take more time than i should do But started it is difficult to quit :chicken:
So i giv you the link to 3 takes and because its your party the choice is yours. But before you pick one i want to tell you that is hard to get in the same league as you both. I am only a pour grey old ragged up blues singer, and this is far out of my competence i am afraid. :snacks:

http://www.box.net/shared/nclh2ug7g6
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

ElMano wrote:Oke Guy's i have played on this track an i save a couple of tracks. I am afraid that i take more time than i should do But started it is difficult to quit :chicken:
So i giv you the link to 3 takes and because its your party the choice is yours. But before you pick one i want to tell you that is hard to get in the same league as you both. I am only a pour grey old ragged up blues singer, and this is far out of my competence i am afraid. :snacks:

http://www.box.net/shared/nclh2ug7g6
I would probably go for Bos4.mp3 if I was forced to choose (possibly down to it sounding more confident?), but they all have your voice to them and all of them work as far as I can judge. :thumbsup:

Let's see what Blindboy thinks - it was him that started this collab and he is the "senior partner" in the firm that did the first part of the recording.

ElMano - if it's of any help when I joined this forum only last November I would not have been able to make an attempt at doing a lead on this BT. So if you are able to find the same inspiration and advice from this site and it's members as I did, then I hope your feeling of not being in the same league now will pretty soon be followed by promotion and a rapid rise to the top of the next league.

I cannot believe it's only last November I joined here - all these guys here have become such great teachers and friends in such a short time - I can't believe my good fortune. :big_smile:
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

I dont have a lot of time to record because the Washing machine is at the same place as the recording stuff and my dear wife had do the laundry whoeoeoehahahaha. :mercy: So i used this to warming up the fingers for the gig this afternoon. take 4 is saved after e couple of runs, but maybe a bit to long. take 1 is "out of the blue "just at one run and save I have listen it back after saving the other takes. the 2 is direct after the first run also without stopping. the 3 run was very bizzy en noisy so i trow it away. $ is after a whole lat of stops, and reruns. I used the Fender but i have used an other Amp on the clean spot with a 15% reverb.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

I agree with VikingBlues, number 4 sounds the best. You're getting a real sweet Fender tone there :thumbsup: Nice playing too. Why don't you post that one up as an attatchment and we'll see if anyone else wants in on it. :chicken:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

See "How to Upload and Embed MP3 files - the second thread on this blues-room forum page if you're unsure ElMano about uploading the version 4. :D
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Thanks for your help. this makes it more easier to post the attachments :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I learn every day a bit more of using this nice forum.
I am just finish a nice short gig and get us a nice deal to play a couple of times in that Bar starting in September with the whole Band :chicken:
Thursday auditions wit two new bass players. Hope to get a good one will approach. In the meanwhile i keep on playing on Backingtracks.
Maybe HBL will play some notes on this nice jazzy track :music2:
Attachments

After the splendid parts of Viking Blues en BlindBoy i have had the honer to put in a piece. Looking forward to the next guys Keep on playing
Bossa collab 3.MP3 - (4.9 MiB)

VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

ElMano wrote:Thanks for your help. this makes it more easier to post the attachments :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I learn every day a bit more of using this nice forum.
Glad to help. :D
ElMano wrote:I am just finish a nice short gig and get us a nice deal to play a couple of times in that Bar starting in September with the whole Band :chicken:
Thursday auditions wit two new bass players. Hope to get a good one will approach. In the meanwhile i keep on playing on Backingtracks.
Good to hear about your gigs - good luck with the bass player.
ElMano wrote:Maybe HBL will play some notes on this nice jazzy track :music2:
Here's hoping. :wink:
Anyone want to come on in - the water's lovely. :dance:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:yikes: you guys seem to be able to play anything... :pray:
I need to work out every single note - too jazzy.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Hi ... Calling blindboy. :wave:

I think this has been languishing in the dark for long enough. :alright: I've added a 3/4 minute bit after ElMano and taken it up to about 4 min 15 sec. Just a bit left (about another 3/4 minute) at the end. If you wanted to do that it would be nice and symetrical - Bb 3/4 minute, VB 3/4 minute, EM 2 minutes, VB 3/4 minute, Bb 3/4 minute. It would be nice to have a finished product. :D

I was trying a mic recording direct from Vox AC4TV amp with the strat, just using my Electro Harmonix Holy Grail ElNano Reverb, and an Artec Blues Overdrive set at a low setting. The Artec was only half the price of the Blackstar Boost or Overdrive pedal but seems to suit single coil better - the Blackstar blows the Artec out of the water for humbuckers though.

Oh - and trying to get the Alesis iO2 interface to behave itself with the Vista laptop. I think the sound came through OK and with no obvious problems but the software reported 82 (!!) recording errors - pretty impressive for only 45 seconds worth. :roll:
download/file.php?id=346
Attachments

Bossa Nova updated - final part left to do
Bossa Collab 4.mp3 - (4.9 MiB)

Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

VikingBlues, you are right. I have downloaded this latest version and will listen to it and finish it up in a couple of days. Been kind of busy lately (when is it not busy :icon_whoknows: ) Played Saturday night at a campfire party, played Sunday with Becca at our lunch gig, played Monday night at the bar, and the band is coming up to practice tonight. (Whew!) We are actually trying to get a practice in once a week (practice, what a radical concept :big_smile: ), and now, after two practices, we sound discernably better.
Oh yeah, I need to get into town and get some strings again. Busted one on the FrankenStrat Monday night. :thumbsdown:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:VikingBlues, you are right. I have downloaded this latest version and will listen to it and finish it up in a couple of days. Been kind of busy lately (when is it not busy :icon_whoknows: ) Played Saturday night at a campfire party, played Sunday with Becca at our lunch gig, played Monday night at the bar, and the band is coming up to practice tonight. (Whew!) We are actually trying to get a practice in once a week (practice, what a radical concept :big_smile: ), and now, after two practices, we sound discernably better.
Oh yeah, I need to get into town and get some strings again. Busted one on the FrankenStrat Monday night. :thumbsdown:
Thanks Blindboy. I shouldn't smile at your rushing around in small circles doing all these things, but that's the first smile i've had this afternoon and it was a huge one .... I am at work though so my lack of smiley faces is more understandable. :big_smile:

I believe they say "practice makes perfect" but I've never travelled far enough down that particular road to find out. :sad:

I'll look forward to a finished product on the Bossa - it's been "on hold" for so long now I really don't think a few days (or even weeks) would register as a delay! It seems right that you should both start and finish it as it was your idea/project in the first place. :thumbsup:
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

VikingBlues wrote:I'll look forward to a finished product on the Bossa - it's been "on hold" for so long now I really don't think a few days (or even weeks) would register as a delay! It seems right that you should both start and finish it as it was your idea/project in the first place. :thumbsup:
Sounds really nice so far. I'm new to these parts and didn't really get the concept of these collaboration threads. It came together nicely. Looking forward to hear the final leg filled in.

p.s. Sorry to walk in through the back door without any introduction. I'll take care of that shortly.
Cheers!
Mike

"A broken angel sings
From a guitar"
BluesLicksMaster

Post by BluesLicksMaster »

Hey guys, nice track and lots of nice playing! I've been busy lately with family and work so I haven't been on the board, and I'm sorry I didn't get in on this earlier. If you guys are still working with one I would live to do something with it. Let me know!
"Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jivin' too..."
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

OK, finally! :roll: Sorry it took so long.
Here is the final installment of this thing.
download/file.php?id=486
There is some great playing and sweet guitar tones on this tune. Thanks to VikingBlues, and El Mano for y'alls contributions. :high5: :high5:
Attachments

Bossa Collab done.mp3 - (4.9 MiB)

VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:OK, finally! :roll: Sorry it took so long.
Here is the final installment of this thing.
download/file.php?id=486
There is some great playing and sweet guitar tones on this tune. Thanks to VikingBlues, and El Mano for y'alls contributions. :high5: :high5:
A smile came to my tired old face (it is Friday!) as I saw this post. :D :oldie:

Nice work again Bb - rounds of the piece as nicely as I hoped it would. :clap: D'you know I have no idea what I played on this anymore or what the logic of the note choices were.

Particularly given our reservations about being able to play this style I think it turned out very well. :thumbsup:

Thanks ElMano and Blindboy - I'm happy to have been a party to this. :banana: