A Very Minor Affair - first post to the Blues Room

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: A Very Minor Affair - first post to the Blues Room

Post by 12bar »

JimRR wrote:"That's nice, Son, I can do the same thing but I do it wirelessly using the 5 GHz channel on my new dual-band router and my Wi-Fi enabled TV. And I backup my videos to my Network Attached Storage system with two 1 TB drives run in a RAID 1 configuration. You do know about the five levels of RAID, don't you?".
:rofl:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

+10 :lol:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

I dont think you realize whata hard chord progression you picked. It has a minor 4 chord which means a flatted 6th ( f instead of f#). It also doesn't lend itself to bending very well, plus it has that surprise fMaj7 chord in there.

Good effort, but I would try a simple chord progression next time. In this one, I would venture up to the position with A on the 10th-fret / second-string as the root and play the pentatonic scale up to E from there.
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

Hi Cruisemates,
When you say "I dont think you realize what a hard chord progression you picked" you are exactly right. At first I thought you must have posted your comments in the wrong thread by mistake. I thought I was just playing over the standard I-IV-V chords in Am. Obviously, I don't have much of an ear yet. :nuts: :wall:

Here I was, basking in the glow of my first posting. Tripping through a beautiful field of flowers on a sunny day. And somebody yells, "You know you've been romping in the middle of a mine field, don't you?" Nope, nope, didn't know that at all. :icon_whoknows: :yikes:

I did struggle to find notes that worked in certain places. I worked out the melody by just playing the Am pentatonic scale until something sounded OK. But I kept a cheat sheet at my elbow where I had written out the Am scale and the notes in the I-IV-V chords. I remember thinking, "I thought I was supposed to be able to play that particular note right here and it was supposed to sound OK - but it doesn't. Oh well, there's clearly a lot I don't know yet". Never realizing that I was in deeper than I knew. :think:

Thank you for the critique. :handshake: Now I'm totally intrigued to see if I can go back and work out what you are talking about. Since I'm so familiar with the piece maybe this can be a good occasion for some real learning. :music1:

BTW, I was totally blown away by your playing in the "Claptonesque" thread. I stand in awe. :pray:
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

Thank you on the compliment....

I'm going to post this in a new theread because I think it is a new topic - but it is about your chord progression.