Waltzin' Viking

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Waltzin' Viking

Post by VikingBlues »

Inspired by Blindboys venture into unusual dance numbers heres an improv on a Jamtracks ru Gypsy Jazz Waltz selection.

As you may guess I don't know what I'm doing - just making it up as I go along, but I have tries to bring a bluesy touch to it. :icon_whoknows:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9483998

Hagstrom Viking Deluxe again. Both pickups for most of the piece - neck pickup in the middle bit 01:05 to 01:30 or thereabouts for tonal variety and help disguise I was very unsure of notes to play in this section. This was the bit that didn't fit E Aeolian which most of the rest did - if anyone with a sharp ear could pick out what mode / scale might fit that section I'd be most interested.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
bluesinbflat

Re: Waltzin' Viking

Post by bluesinbflat »

You said you don't know what you're doing? Sure sounded like you really do. You kept the feel going and that you've succeeded. Good job VB!
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

bluesinbflat wrote:You said you don't know what you're doing? Sure sounded like you really do. You kept the feel going and that you've succeeded. Good job VB!
Thanks bluesinbflat but I really haven't an idea about whats happening in the mid section - just playing little intervals that I could judge in advance in my head if they might fit. I really hope someone can answer my question about that section.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

:clap: :pray:
Very nice! That hangs together really well. I have a hard time with 3/4 time (and have pretty much no clue about modes), this piece would have been way too far from my comfort zone to try. Good job!
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
weelie

Post by weelie »

You sound great. You knew what to do, I say!
Pena

Post by Pena »

WOW, you brake barriers :clap: :pray:
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy, weelie, Pena - thank you. :D

I should maybe point out I downloaded six Jazz Gypsy Waltz BTs from the Jamtracks ru site - BUT - I could only make any sort of sense of two of them and only this particular one gelled enough to have a proper go at it. So I'm definitely lacking some inside knowledge on how these style of tracks hang together. Fun though if you can find one that suits. :big_smile:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Fantastic job, VB! :dance:

I remembered an old Django recording -bingo -, did some research and played a bit to find the scale. The song is from Django Reinhardt (Montagne Sainte-Genviève), chords are for example at http://www.grilles-manouches.net/Html/m ... vieve.html or http://www.hotclub.co.uk/gypsyworld/ind ... vi%C3%A8ve .

Far outside of all scales I know (minor and major pentatonic :lol: ) it could be a scale called Hungarian gypsy scale. I've hacked it into the scale generator and tried, sounds OK but faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar outside what my fingers are willing to play... :wall:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote:Fantastic job, VB! :dance:

I remembered an old Django recording -bingo -, did some research and played a bit to find the scale. The song is from Django Reinhardt (Montagne Sainte-Genviève), chords are for example at http://www.grilles-manouches.net/Html/m ... vieve.html or http://www.hotclub.co.uk/gypsyworld/ind ... vi%C3%A8ve .

Far outside of all scales I know (minor and major pentatonic :lol: ) it could be a scale called Hungarian gypsy scale. I've hacked it into the scale generator and tried, sounds OK but faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar outside what my fingers are willing to play... :wall:
That's really wonderful - thank you for going to that trouble to dig those links out. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I can see why, given a swift glance, that the middle section threw me more than a little. I'll need to give this a proper look-see and try and understand it - the chord symbol G#o is immediately telling me I'm trying to play above my normal game. :big_smile:
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Great job VB.... (as usual). That's a little different for you, just shows how versatile you are at playing. If that was "made up as you go along" you must have some imagination!!

Later
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Golfxzq wrote::thumbsup: :thumbsup: Great job VB.... (as usual). That's a little different for you, just shows how versatile you are at playing. If that was "made up as you go along" you must have some imagination!!

Later
Thanks Golfxzq - nice to see a post from you on the forum - I believe you've been busy there. The "imagination" is that intervalic ear training and trying to play what you hear in your head - I'll admit it is sometimes a bit of a wierd feeling when it happens really well. But it does mean you need to be able to get a handle on the backing track - as I said I downloaded 6 of these BTs and could make no sense of 4 of them at all - I just couldn't think of the notes to play, and I haven't the technical knowledge to work out the chord structure and scale etc. to tell me what notes / scales would work.
Blindboy wrote:pretty much no clue about modes
To be honest I only know three modes properly as far as what notes they have go. The major modes I can play but only after refreshing my memory first. And I don't really understand why they work the way they do. I'm trying to slowly understand how to decide what chords will fit what mode but it's a slow process - my brain is so battered by new information after 55+ years that it goes into blank shutdown when presented with anything new these days.

The minor modes I find easy to remember, partly because I find the minor pentatonic easy to remember because of its shapes. With the minor, the key to me to remembering the modes was this. Where there are three frets between the notes of the pentatonic scale (eg E to G and B to D on the E minor) there are additional notes for the modes. I don't have time now - got to go to work. :wall: :motz: :sad: but later on I'll do a post showing these - just the Phrygian, Dorian and Aeolian. I couldn't make head or tail of modes until I saw it explained in a simple way relating to theminor pentatonic.

EDIT: Attachment in place - PDF file of the mionor modes relationship to the pentatonic - I don't know if I've doen something wrong but It seems like you have to save the file in order to see it.
Attachments
THE MINOR PENTATONIC AND MODES.pdf
Minor Pentatonic & 3 Minor Modes
(122.41 KiB) Downloaded 403 times