Trying For Less

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Trying For Less

Post by VikingBlues »

Buried amongst the Backing tracks section some of you may recall I recently did a Bm slow blues piece on a backing track I found posted on another forum, that it turned out was based on ZZ Top Blue Jean Blues.

:aha: To tie in with what I was trying to do I've christened it "Trying For Less".

As I replied in the thread to HBL - "I feel sort of funny listening back to this - it doesn't seem as if it should be me playing, and I sort of feel I'm being told by what I hear about a musical direction I need to pursue - like I'm on the adge of something new".

BUT nothing is happening, which is frustrating and driving me a bit mad - I can sort of taste that there's something there I could pursue but don't know what or how. :wall: :mercy: :angry: :wall:

I feel it's a direction I should pursue - there's certainly a very positive response on Soundclick as far as % of downloads per listen which makes me think it's worth further effort.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Does anyone know any backing tracks they could recommend that are slow tempo and ideally have less chord changes than normal (that forces me to have to choose notes carefully and play with tone and if possible get feeling across too). I'm hoping that trying some BT's posing similar problems I might get a clearer idea of where I am going.

Hope you can help guys. :pray:

As a reminder this was the piece:-

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9425745
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Re: Trying For Less

Post by Blindboy »

This is quite nice! I finally gave it a listen (my computer is having trouble with reading imbedded music and videos :wall: ), and like what you've done with it. This is a difficult tune to pull off. My old band back in Oklahoma tried it, and as sparse as it is, everyone has to be spot on all the time.
As for backing tracks, I don't know of any right off the top of my head. You probably know all the same sites that I do.
I hope you keep persueing this direction... It is taking you to some interesting places. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:This is quite nice! I finally gave it a listen (my computer is having trouble with reading imbedded music and videos :wall: ), and like what you've done with it. This is a difficult tune to pull off. My old band back in Oklahoma tried it, and as sparse as it is, everyone has to be spot on all the time.
As for backing tracks, I don't know of any right off the top of my head. You probably know all the same sites that I do.
I hope you keep persueing this direction... It is taking you to some interesting places. :thumbsup:
Thanks Blindboy - I got a real buzz and feeling of something different playing this one. It's sort of sidling towards the old Peter Green very few notes area, but it's so damn difficult. Of course PG could do it so well as he was a genius guitarist.

It's OK finding standard blues BTs as there are obvious search words to use to find them - I don't know what to use to try to track these sort of BTs down. I have this sort of worry that I'm maybe going to have to work on my own BTs for this one. Hmmmm .... which will be a challenge when I'm not even sure what it is I'm wanting! :nuts:
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

Sounds Great! I think it's worth taking up the challenge of making your own BTs.
bluesinbflat

Post by bluesinbflat »

I like the less is more approach. A suggestion maybe is to hunt down some 16 or 24 bar jamtracks for changes that come on later ...Take a look on bluesblast.com and see what he has.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

bluesinbflat wrote:I like the less is more approach. A suggestion maybe is to hunt down some 16 or 24 bar jamtracks for changes that come on later ...Take a look on bluesblast.com and see what he has.
Oops! Nearly missed this post bluesinbflat - there's been a real flurry of posts on the forum in the last 24 hours. Thanks for the suggestion and for the mention of bluesblast.com - that's one I don't think I've been to before - bookmarked now and I'll need to search through it later. :thumbsup:

If I can find BTs that do the jod that would be best - doing my own BTs would mean I'm playing with a drummer who's got absolutely NO idea what he's doing. :shy:
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Hay Viking Blues, I selected out of the pile of BT i got a couple of tracks that you maybe can use for your experiment. I try to upload them but on this time ( Sunday afternoon) it is to slow and wont work properly :motz: I try it a bit later and post the link in here Oke ? :guitarist: I don't know if you already know them of course.
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Lady's And Gentleman...... We have got him :beer: hahahahha ( like Bush sayd when they got Sadam) http://www.box.net/shared/l54s0a8uxh Good luck VikingBlues :thumbsup: and all the other ones who want to give it a try.
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Whoeoeoeoe hahahaha Before i become grey i was Blond.... And now the link to all the tracks :chicken: http://www.box.net/shared/a3xjbocgol
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

ElMano wrote:Whoeoeoeoe hahahaha Before i become grey i was Blond.... And now the link to all the tracks :chicken: http://www.box.net/shared/a3xjbocgol
ElMano. Thank you very very much for taking the time and trouble to do this. I've been out all afternoon (watching "Inception" at the pictures) so I'm in a bit of a rush. Made a brief start and downloaded a few - will need to finish later. Thank you for helping to keep my inspiration going. I'll post again later tonight. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

VikingBlues wrote:
ElMano wrote:Whoeoeoeoe hahahaha Before i become grey i was Blond.... And now the link to all the tracks :chicken: http://www.box.net/shared/a3xjbocgol
ElMano. Thank you very very much for taking the time and trouble to do this. I've been out all afternoon (watching "Inception" at the pictures) so I'm in a bit of a rush. Made a brief start and downloaded a few - will need to finish later. Thank you for helping to keep my inspiration going. I'll post again later tonight. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I've had the time to have a listen now.

I think these will help - great choices ElMano :thumbsup: - and at most I've only heard one of them before.

I will need to take some time now, and try to carefully apply the "less is more" dream to them. :think:

My search for good BTs for "less is more" has not gone well - I'm afraid my only try at a recording over the last two or three days was a big no-no :naughty: as far as "less is more" is concerned, and proved to me yet again I cannae ..... (sorry Scots language creeping in there) ..... I can't do the rock end of blues-rock. I called it "There is a sed in North Berwick" - if you saw the sad state of my shed you'd understand! :sad: :roll:download/file.php?id=204
Attachments

There is a Shed in North Berwick. Slow Am.
Am Slow Shed Blues.mp3 - (2.51 MiB)