Outside the comfort zone

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
Post Reply
User avatar
Blindboy
Posts: 1751
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:34 pm

Outside the comfort zone

Post by Blindboy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:56 am

I am trying something different here. I ran across this cool Bossa Nova blues BT and, even though I am emphatically NOT a Jazz or Bossa player, I had fun pretending. :shy:
I ran through it once with guitar in hand, then took the plunge and hit "record". Here is the result, warts and all. There are places where I get rather lost. :roll: , but some of it is OK.

Using the Casino through the toneport and fingers only, no picks. :thumbsup: I could probably sound more authentic if I listened to more of this kind of stuff. :roll: It is fun to mess with though.

I think I will keep this one in the achives and work on it now and then until I can come up with something solid. It is kind of long though. I keep running out of ideas. :wall: Anyone interested in a collab? :big_smile:
Attachments


bossa blues two.mp3 - (4.83 MiB)

"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"

User avatar
VikingBlues
Posts: 4129
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Outside the comfort zone

Post by VikingBlues » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:11 am

Blindboy wrote:I am trying something different here. I ran across this cool Bossa Nova blues BT and, even though I am emphatically NOT a Jazz or Bossa player, I had fun pretending. :shy:
I ran through it once with guitar in hand, then took the plunge and hit "record". Here is the result, warts and all. There are places where I get rather lost. :roll: , but some of it is OK.
As you say, you're not a Jazz of Bossa Nova player - but I think you've had a good go at it, and just after one run through too - nice going. :thumbsup:
Blindboy wrote:Using the Casino through the toneport and fingers only, no picks. :thumbsup: I could probably sound more authentic if I listened to more of this kind of stuff. :roll: It is fun to mess with though.

I think I will keep this one in the achives and work on it now and then until I can come up with something solid. It is kind of long though. I keep running out of ideas. :wall: Anyone interested in a collab? :big_smile:
It is fun to mess around with styles you don't normally do, and as you can probably guess I'm all in favour of no picks. :D: With that in mind I'd not say no to having a go at a collab although like yourself, I have no claims to knowing what the heck I'm doing on Jazz or Bossa Nova (hmmm.. or blues either in my case). :big_smile:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!

bluesinbflat
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Outside the comfort zone

Post by bluesinbflat » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:56 pm

I like how you came in with the Wes Montgomery octave chording. I just dig how you're 'conversing' with the pianist; You have the jazz vibe Blindboy, keep at it.

User avatar
Blindboy
Posts: 1751
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:34 pm

Re: Outside the comfort zone

Post by Blindboy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:17 pm

bluesinbflat wrote:I like how you came in with the Wes Montgomery octave chording. I just dig how you're 'conversing' with the pianist; You have the jazz vibe Blindboy, keep at it.
Thanks, bluesinbflat. I like the Wes octave thing too, I just need to get better at it and find more places it is appropriate. I'm glad you liked this, I had been posting up mostly distorted guitar stuff, and wanted to tone it down a bit and get "tasteful".
VB, if you are interested in a collab on this, here is the BT.

I would kind of like to do the first couple of verses (want to explore some of that octave stuff to establish a theme), then throw it open. Anyone else interested? If not we could alternate a couple of verses at a time... :icon_whoknows:
Attachments


Dm_Bluesbossa.mp3 - (4.83 MiB)

"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"

User avatar
VikingBlues
Posts: 4129
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Outside the comfort zone

Post by VikingBlues » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:23 pm

Blindboy wrote:
bluesinbflat wrote:I like how you came in with the Wes Montgomery octave chording. I just dig how you're 'conversing' with the pianist; You have the jazz vibe Blindboy, keep at it.
Thanks, bluesinbflat. I like the Wes octave thing too, I just need to get better at it and find more places it is appropriate. I'm glad you liked this, I had been posting up mostly distorted guitar stuff, and wanted to tone it down a bit and get "tasteful".
VB, if you are interested in a collab on this, here is the BT.

I would kind of like to do the first couple of verses (want to explore some of that octave stuff to establish a theme), then throw it open. Anyone else interested? If not we could alternate a couple of verses at a time... :icon_whoknows:
I am interested on a collab - whether I can make sense of it remains to be seen. You doing the first couple of verses would be fine - at least it'll get it off to a good start! :big_smile:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!

Post Reply