Slowl E does it Blues

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Slowl E does it Blues

Post by VikingBlues »

Been trying to get a bit gritty again.

Hagstrom neck pup - Palmer Overdrive (of course!) - VibroChamp XD on a Hot Rod setting rather than my usual Blackface or clean Tweed voicings.

Slow blues in E - BT from BluesBlast.com - catchily called "hi_slow_e_72" and described as Chicago blues in E, 72 bpm on this page
Backing Track location : http://www.bluesblast.com/jams2003.html

Heres the improv:-
Slowl E does it Blues : http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11954617

For what it's worth there's an uploaded recording first on here - a full tone bend up on the 22nd fret!

Trying to pay attention to Blindboy's suggestions and attempting to play notes with more regard to the chords and an eye on target notes.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
ratfinkdan

Re: Slowl E does it Blues

Post by ratfinkdan »

Good one VB, yep getting more of that chacigo blues feel and tone in there, some nice turn arounds and loved the ending, Good job! Yeah I took note of Blindboys suggestions on targeting the tonic note to help outline the changes and playing out of the chord shapes also, some good advice there, I really need to work on that also. Dan
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Cheers Dan - I wasn't too displeased with this experiment. :thumbsup:

It's also got the advantage of only being 2 minutes long! :tease:

Targeting those right notes is an odd one. So much of how successful that is (for me) seems to depend on how well I manage to listen to the music and anticipate where the backing is going - most of the time I have no real idea of what the names are of the notes I'm playing - relying on muscle memory and the way intervals sound. :whistle:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Excellent! :clap:
Loved the tone, and the big bends. Particularly liked the ending. :thumbsup: Good job on playing the changes. This does get easier with practice. Eventually you won't have to think about it as much. :think: :lol:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I'm relieved to hear your comments Blindboy. :phew:

I thought I was moving on the right sort of lines but wasn't quite sure.
Blindboy wrote:Eventually you won't have to think about it as much. :think: :lol:
Get's my vote - thinking just gets in the way of the creative flow usually. :whistle:
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

A belated congratulations for this very good one! :clap: :thumbsup:
Your playing fits very well with the BT.
Jan 15th 2007
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks VC - first time I've tried the Hot Rod voicing on the VibroChamp along with the Palmer pedal. It certainly gave the right sort of tone to fit the BT. The BluesBlast BTs are often quite raw and live sounding - which I like.
vancouverois wrote:Your playing fits very well with the BT.
That's what happens when I listen to Blindboys advice! :thumbsup:
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Never did comment on this VB, love your tone, and I think this borders on some of your more "Bluesy" styles of play.........what not to like!!!
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Very bluesy. Do you feel blusey ?
CarsickPhil

Post by CarsickPhil »

Hi Viking Blues
Silky smooth and controlled. Sounds wonderful. Great playing and superb tone. I just wonder how you can inject some fierce edge to it here and there. It smoulders beautifully, but it might be nice to crackle and flare up from time to time too.
Cheers
Phil
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

MichaelRobinson wrote:Do you feel blusey ?
Don't know about bluesy but on the 5th (yesterday) I cerainly did feel blue. First day back at work. A weeks holiday with feeling unwell for 7 of the 9 days, and starting to feel better on the afternoon of the last day of the holiday. :motz:
tytlblues wrote:Never did comment on this VB, love your tone, and I think this borders on some of your more "Bluesy" styles of play.........what not to like!!!
Thanks Tytl :thumbsup: - the push for better blues playing and sound keeps going but it seems such agonisingly slow progress a lot of the time.
CarsickPhil wrote:Hi Viking Blues
Silky smooth and controlled. Sounds wonderful. Great playing and superb tone. I just wonder how you can inject some fierce edge to it here and there. It smoulders beautifully, but it might be nice to crackle and flare up from time to time too.
Cheers
Phil
Thanks Phil! :D I just wonder how I can inject some fierce edge into it too. :icon_whoknows: The only success I've had with that so far is being in a really foul mood, or trying to put myself into that frame of mind - neither of which I enjoy much. Oh well. I'll maybe gradually get there if I have enough time.