VB heads for rocky shores with his e-band

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

VB heads for rocky shores with his e-band

Post by VikingBlues »

This is unexpected. :think:

I mainly got the BR-80 for its Multitrack abilities.

I'm getting distracted by the e-band part of it. Fun to use. Despite the factory backings being repeated loops of only 10-15 seconds they're very addictive and I find myself improving for 10 or 15 minutes at a time on just one backing loop.

The E-Band is also taking me places I don't normally go and attempting styles I don't normally play. Whether this is a good thing is another question? :icon_whoknows:

Here's an example of that from this morning - backing called Pink Echo in the Rock section - basically just A and D chords. I've used the PRS SE plugged straight into the BR-80 and the preset is eased back for less gain (of course) and has a bit of compression added. I started recording after about 10 minutes - you can hear where the adrenalin (and concentration) starts to wear off about 2/3 of the way through teh recording at the 3 1/2 minute mark. :yawn:

download/file.php?id=2118
Absolutely a one take live - and as it's all on one track I can't edit out any bad guitar notes. :yikes:
Attachments

VB heads for rocky shores. Pink Echo Rock.
BR80 EBand Pink Echo Rock Test.mp3 - (4.31 MiB)

An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

Re: VB heads for rocky shores with his e-band

Post by MichaelRobinson »

:yikes: Unusual to here you play like this. I think you is exploring youre self as much as youre BR-80. A good thing. Nice that you loosen up and play other styles then you usualy do. :thumbsup:
I think it's a good sign that you want to play new stuff.
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Ha ha, yes VB...the built in BT's/loops on my JS E-band are fun to play along with. Plus if you go to Boss website, you can download more!! mostly rock/metal type of BT's though :(

A fun sounding jam though!!
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Nice! :big_smile:
Your tone has the perfect amount of gain and seems to be more compressed than usual :thumbsup: :clap:
It sounds like helping a bit a faster playing, BTW it reminds me a bit Dire Strait tone.
Hope to hear more like this one :high5:
Jan 15th 2007
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

Very cool playing, VB. :clap: :clap:

The tone and the choppiness of the early part brought Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits to mind.

A pleasure to listen to. :banana:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Many thanks guys - good of you to listen and comment - it's very helpful to get encouragement when treading new ground. :thumbsup:

Plugged the output of the BR-80 into the Fender G-Dec3 30 last night and used the e-band and played along with the Hagstrom plugged into the amp. That worked very well with the extra presence to the e-band loops sounds due to speaker output v headphones. I maybe need some studio monitors .... one day.
tytlblues wrote:the built in BT's/loops on my JS E-band are fun to play along with. Plus if you go to Boss website, you can download more!! mostly rock/metal type of BT's though :(
I've previously had the e-band recommended to me by our forumite Strummer, but there never seemed any around at the right affordable price when I was looking for gear - I can now see why Strummer saw it as a piece of gear that would suit me. Are those the downloads called "Microtracks" that are in 3 volumes?
MichaelRobinson wrote:I think you is exploring youre self as much as youre BR-80. A good thing. Nice that you loosen up and play other styles then you usualy do. :thumbsup:
I think it's a good sign that you want to play new stuff.
I used to try toplay a wider range of styles when I first started playing electric again and recording (with a 4 track cassette) around 12 years ago - but I didn't have the skills and knowledge for it to really work as well as now - so it's nice to sort of have another go at it.
vancouverois wrote:Your tone has the perfect amount of gain and seems to be more compressed than usual :thumbsup: :clap:
I'm glad you like that level of gain - it was pulled down a bit (60 down to 50 if I recall) as all the factory sounds to me to be overdone on gain - even on the presets for ballads. The sound really came more alive for me with some compression added in - I recall the Michael Casswell DVD on how to get the best out of the Boss GT8 - he really showed how compression can add such a lot when used right. I'm very glad the BR-80 is (mostly) so much easier to use - the GT8 did my head in.

I do find the overall tone of this more easy to listen to than my recent UpTempo blues where the edgy aspect of the sound gets me gritting the teeth a bit.
vancouverois wrote:BTW it reminds me a bit Dire Strait tone.
MojoJim wrote:The tone and the choppiness of the early part brought Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits to mind.
Unintentional, but as I've said on previous occasions - any comment that suggests I have anything in common with Mark Knopfler are hugely welcome. :big_smile:
Been a few weeks since I saw a post from you - nice to hear from you MojoJim BTW. :wave:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Wow, surprises VB ? :big_smile: :clap: That's great stuff for just sitting and playing with such a simple BT.
The BRs are nice enough, I happen to have the micro BR and used that during my holliday to keep playing :)
Great to hear you expand your musical vocabulary. Very well done ! :clap:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Wow, surprises VB ? :big_smile: :clap:
It suprised the hell out of me too!! :eye_rub:
HalfBlindLefty wrote:That's great stuff for just sitting and playing with such a simple BT.
The BRs are nice enough, I happen to have the micro BR and used that during my holliday to keep playing :)
Great to hear you expand your musical vocabulary. Very well done ! :clap:
Many thanks HBL - good of you to say so - I appreciate the encouragement. :thumbsup:

I got this little box of tricks for it's 8 track recorder as an affordable alternative to a fully fledged multitracker which I couldn't afford at the moment.

But so far I've used the e-band 90% of the time - it's very addictive. Now I've started loading full length backing tracks onto it as well I can see it'll get even more difficult to stay off it.

I am pleased with the Boss fx functions - very tweakable and pretty good for keeping the dynamics of playing if the tweaking is done right. The BR-80 is much easier to use than the Boss GT-8 and the Boss DR3 drum machine. Though the BR-80 has a rhythm function in its 8 track recorder that, as yet, I find totally baffling.