Short Drum BT Blues

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Short Drum BT Blues

Post by VikingBlues »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - that feels better. :banana:

Just a quick drum track put together in Mixcraft software. Then me on Bass (Vintage AV4), Rhythm (Vintage Tele Reissue V") and Lead (Hagstrom Viking Deluxe). Just a couple of takes for each.

Not quite a proper 12 bar, but only a slight variation. And no frills - just went for it - my middle right hand fingernail suffered but I feel a bit more relaxed now! :big_smile: :cool:
download/file.php?id=162
Attachments

Short Drum BT Blues
DrumBTBluesMix.mp3 - (2.01 MiB)

An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Re: Short Drum BT Blues

Post by Blindboy »

:thumbsup: :clap:
Very nice!
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

Very good job, VB. Lead, Bass and Rhythm!! :clap: :pray: What, no keyboard? :wink:

To my ear it start out a little rough at the beginning on the timing but quickly settles into a solid groove and an interesting piece of music.

We seem to have quite a few multi-instrumentalists on this site. Very impressive. Actually, I count myself in that group. I can barely play electric guitar AND I can barely play acoustic guitar. (does that count?) :wink: :music1: :music2:

Your mix also sounds good. Maybe a little strong on the drums - but a really good mix. I admire the folks here who can mix tracks. I'd like to be able to do what you did with HBL's tracks + plus your own playing. And Blackhorse produced a mix almost instantaneously. That's a real skill.

When HBL says that he "widened the stereo field on his Cybertwins" I don't know what he's talking about. So I bought a book from Amazon titled "Mixing Audio" by Roey Izaki. He includes a lot of philosophy, history, etc. - but it seems good so far. With my DAW I'm supposed to be able to do some good mixing. We'll see.

Well, I've been watching our boy Lance do fairly poorly in today's stage of the Tour. And it's time to start getting ready for the local broadcast of the final game of the World Cup. That will keep me busy for a couple of hours. :beer:

(These comments may appear twice. I typed it once and Bb posted before I did and when I tried to "Submit" it asked me if I wanted to review my comments in the light of his and I said "Submit" and it disappeared - so I've typed it again - but shorter this time)
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thank you my friends from New Mexico and Texas. I'm grateful for your comments and appreciate your given this a listen. :thumbsup:

It's nothing special BUT I've been trying to play my way out of the musical doldrums today and i think the "Short Drum BT Blues" has helped me out of it. I've been able to produce more musically coherent playing today than in the previous two weeks in total. I've really got a buzz out of todays playing - I'll have payback for this tomorrow because I know work will be very bad - I'll be spending a few days trying to track down errors in 5 weeks worth of sales, purchases and stocks, and the likelihood is I'll get no help, I'll get nowhere in finding answers, and I'll end up being shot as the messenger of bad news often is. :mercy:

I hadn't thought about keyboards MojoJim - I have a cheap Akai keyboard that will work with my Mixcraft software, but believe me you don't want to hear it so I'll maybe give that a miss! :yikes:

MojoJim - the multi instrumentalist thing dates back to a time of necessity, rather than any skill or talent. Back in the year 2000 (and it seems a lifetime ago) I bought a Yamaha Pacifica Guitar with it's cheap practice amp, a cheap Zoom multi effects pedal and a 4 track cassette recorder. I'd dabbled in my teens and early twenties with guitar and wanted to have more of a go at it and by 2000 the children were over 10 years old and needing less of our time (just more of our money! - hence the cheap equipment).
There were no backing tracks back then, and no magical finds on the internet. :sad:
So my pieces of recording had to be all me - Track 1 - drums off the Zoom pedal + Rhythmn guitar at the same time for the chord structure. Track 2 - bass - done with a guitar and the octave effects on the pedal. Track 3 - something like an arpegiated guitar, or occasionally keyboard. Track 4 - lead guitar. There was very little scope for doing any more than 4 tracks as any transfer of the recording reduced the sound quality and it was already a bit ropey. Because there was no editing facility I got in the habit of recording with live single takes, and I've not shaken that habit off after all these years. :wall:

But I must admit I like doing bass, and I also, although I'm out of pratice, enjoy playing rhythmn. I'm not sure I'm cut out to be a lead player, my natural tendency is to be the quiet one - which probably means I should have been a bass player if I was in a group. :tears:

Here's an old year 2000 example. It's called "Moonrise" because it's supposed to paint a picture of a moonlit night with moving shadows from scudding clouds and suspicions of nasty things hiding and all that sort of stuff. I suppose it's that Pink Floyd influence that was still with me 10 years later for "The Old Man of the Sea". Obviously you'll have to excuse the poor sound quality, and remember I'd taken around about a 15 year break from much electric guitar playing, and was using very cheap equipment. :shy: I guess it does show though that you can do a recording without a computer or an expensive piece of impossible to understand electronics.

MOONRISE:-
download/file.php?id=163

Sorry - yapping away too much. Must be the wine. Goodnight all. :away:
Attachments

Moonrise. An old 4 track casette recording.
Moonrise.mp3 - (2.25 MiB)

An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!