Anyone up for a slow blues in G?

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
bluesinbflat

Anyone up for a slow blues in G?

Post by bluesinbflat »

download/file.php?id=159

It's been awhile since the last add-a-track thingy. After my intro, choose a slot and do your thing; Hope everyone is well. Have fun.
Attachments

G Blues.mp3 - (3.07 MiB)

VikingBlues

Re: Anyone up for a slow blues in G?

Post by VikingBlues »

bluesinbflat wrote:download/file.php?id=159

It's been awhile since the last add-a-track thingy. After my intro, choose a slot and do your thing; Hope everyone is well. Have fun.
Hi bflat. :wave: Great to hear the beautiful harp playing again, but it sure raises the bar for us string bashers! :alright:

I'm probably not going to have much chance to join in on this the next few days, so, having only just read the post, in a brief window before going to work this morning I've had a quick go. Now, I don't know whether my ears are screwed on wrong this morning but I was getting a lot of tuning uncertainties and I have a feeling the piece I've done is too far off the right tuning to be acceptable. :sad: So feel free to discard - I promise it'll not hurt my feelings at all. :big_smile:

If it is OK, then up to someone else to try to get the piece up to the standards of the opening - good luck. :away:
download/file.php?id=160

EDIT : Updated Version G Blues Collab.3 in later post
Attachments

G Blues Collab - bluesinbflat, VikingBlues
G Blues Collab 2.mp3 - (3.07 MiB)

Last edited by VikingBlues on Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

:thumbsup: Great sounding piece so far bflat and VB... I gave it the old college try last night but I'm just not there yet. Maybe in a few more months. It has been posted many times how beneficial recording yourself is... last night I realized just how true this is. You can REALLY hear your mistakes. I'm no quitter... someday I'll be able to join in. :cool:
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
bluesinbflat

Post by bluesinbflat »

Tomorrow I will make time and listen to the take VB....So tonight I'm just logging in to read the replies. A tip: Create simple melodies (licks) to play along with the bass line and you'll do fine.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

bluesinbflat wrote:Tomorrow I will make time and listen to the take VB....So tonight I'm just logging in to read the replies. A tip: Create simple melodies (licks) to play along with the bass line and you'll do fine.
I will be interested to hear your comments - I had another listen this morning to my attempt - the tuning doesn't sound AS bad as it did yesterday, but now it sounds too ponderous & leaden. :yikes:

I'm not sure at all - since the holidays ended and I went back to work I've been really not firing on many cylinders musically at all - it took over a week after work resumed that I even managed to just play along to a BT and had any sort of feeling I'd produced something sensible musically.

So as I said earlier, my feelings won't be hurt if this attempt of mine is not up to scratch. It would be a shame after such a great intro you played on the harp to spoil it all.

If anyone wants to have a go for the segment after the harp, PLEASE DO SO. I can always try again on a later bit when things may be better at the weekend if things start happening musically. I would have to work pretty hard at producing something worse! :D
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I'd like to participate, but fortunately my holiday starts tomorrow. :icon_whoknows:
Next time I'm in!
bluesinbflat

Post by bluesinbflat »

VikingBlues wrote: I will be interested to hear your comments - I had another listen this morning to my attempt - the tuning doesn't sound AS bad as it did yesterday, but now it sounds too ponderous & leaden. :yikes:
Hi VB. I like what I heard, lots of nice blues licks in there. I didn't hear anything that indicated some tuning discrepancy. :icon_whoknows: I did hear something toward the end of your solo that stood out, I'm not sure what that really was, I'll have to take another listen....Unfortunately, it didn't sound right. :sad:

Overall, it was definitely a blues solo played with feeling. One suggestion I would like to make to you is to apply rests here and there (take a breather) and let the band come through before you start playing again, this way the solo becomes much more interesting than trying to fill all the nooks and crannies creating an overplayed piece or ending up running out of ideas. :yikes: Good job on this one VB, and your timing is spot on.

Now where's Hans, since he loves the slow stuff. :think:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

bluesinbflat wrote:Hi VB. I like what I heard, lots of nice blues licks in there. I didn't hear anything that indicated some tuning discrepancy. :icon_whoknows: I did hear something toward the end of your solo that stood out, I'm not sure what that really was, I'll have to take another listen....Unfortunately, it didn't sound right. :sad:

Overall, it was definitely a blues solo played with feeling. One suggestion I would like to make to you is to apply rests here and there (take a breather) and let the band come through before you start playing again, this way the solo becomes much more interesting than trying to fill all the nooks and crannies creating an overplayed piece or ending up running out of ideas. :yikes: Good job on this one VB, and your timing is spot on.

Hi bflat. Thanks for the listening and thought you've given this. :thumbsup: The tuning thing was funny - it doesn't sound as bad to me now - I think my ears were playing up a bit maybe - I get summer allergies which screw around with my sinuses and affect my hearing - maybe this is it.

You're absolutely right in honing in on the lack of breathers - as soon as I crank up the gain (you will probably have noticed with my recordings that I usually play with hardly any break up at all) I think I lose faith in the tone of the notes and end up overdoing the number of notes. :sad:

I also feel that the last half dozen notes or so in my bit are not landing properly and fitting in with regard to the chords that are on the BT. I'd noticed this already and winced a bit, but it was helpful to hear what you said which confirms to me that it is wrong.
bluesinbflat wrote:Now where's Hans, since he loves the slow stuff. :think:
It's very quiet on the forum at the moment isn't it? Lots of summer holidays and good weather maybe. It would be interesting to hear Hans' take on it - although I would rather we scrapped my part and he started after the harp if that was to happen. Otherwise I'll be sandwiched between two stand out perfomances which won't do my ego any good. :lol:

If no-one comes in on the piece this evening I might have another go at my bit if I can fit in the time - see if I can kick it into better shape. My first go was a bit rushed though and I don't want attempt two to have the same lack of care and attention. HOWEVER if anyone is able to have a go at continuing with the piece please do so an dfeel very free to start after the harp section. :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Here goes. :yikes:

Attempt number 38,654! :wall: :wall:

download/file.php?id=161

I think it is now a bit better than my last go BUT I really don't mind which might be preferred - I think I would also now like to forget. I'm just not firing on all cylinders at the moment. :alright:

Anyone care to add to this or to version 2 now and we can all move onward and upward! :roll: .... :big_smile:
Attachments

Collab in G . Bluesinbflat Viking (revised)
G Blues Collab 3.mp3 - (3.07 MiB)

MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

VB - I think both versions have their strong points.

But I think I prefer the first version better because:
* I like the murkier, funky tone better in the first version.
* The first version seems to continue the feel of the harp part better.
* The second version has too many VB-isms. I like the style you have that makes your music yours - but I think it's a bit too much in the second version.
* To me the rhythmic sense of the first version is more keeping with the BT and the harp. I may be misreading this. I may be confusing tone and rhythm. A funkier tone = a funkier rhythm?? Your second version seems to have a slightly less languid feel.

I think I hear the tone problems in the first version but my ear is not good enough to be sure of that. Mostly, I like the tone better in the first version.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

bluesinbflat wrote:
VikingBlues wrote: I will be interested to hear your comments - I had another listen this morning to my attempt - the tuning doesn't sound AS bad as it did yesterday, but now it sounds too ponderous & leaden. :yikes:
Hi VB. I like what I heard, lots of nice blues licks in there. I didn't hear anything that indicated some tuning discrepancy. :icon_whoknows: I did hear something toward the end of your solo that stood out, I'm not sure what that really was, I'll have to take another listen....Unfortunately, it didn't sound right. :sad:

Hans is @ home wondering if it will be to hot again today to go up and contribute....... so who knows. :)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

MojoJim wrote:VB - I think both versions have their strong points.

But I think I prefer the first version better because:
* I like the murkier, funky tone better in the first version.
* The first version seems to continue the feel of the harp part better.
* The second version has too many VB-isms. I like the style you have that makes your music yours - but I think it's a bit too much in the second version.
* To me the rhythmic sense of the first version is more keeping with the BT and the harp. I may be misreading this. I may be confusing tone and rhythm. A funkier tone = a funkier rhythm?? Your second version seems to have a slightly less languid feel.

I think I hear the tone problems in the first version but my ear is not good enough to be sure of that. Mostly, I like the tone better in the first version.
Hi MojoJim. You've got a very perceptive analysis down there. :D

While I can't tell which version I like more (too close to it when you've played them) :icon_whoknows: I WAS concentrating very much on what the harp played in the first version and in my attempts to play it differently the second time I realise I have almost ignored what the harp had played before my part. I'm very pleased that the attempt to refer to the harp in the first version can be heard. :big_smile:

I agree the second version is very much more "VB" - :aha: I think that has happened due to my concentrating less on what bluesinbflat had done. It's probably more representative of the sort of thing I would play if I was doing a take on the whole BT myself with no-one else involved, but that is not necessarily a good thing for a collab.

I find the first version gradually becoming less of a problem to my ears with repeated listens over the last few days. It sounds much less objectionable to my ears this morning than when I first listened to it. I reckon this is not just because of getting a distance from it that allows me to listen with a less critical viewpoint, but also because my initial problems with the first version is due to the lack of the "VB-isms". It doesn't sound like me and because it doesn't sound "natural" as a result I'm confused when it comes to gauging it's merits.

I really have no issue with either version being used by the next player or both versions being discarded. I know I have not played to potential here but as I mentioned my playing / hearing is a bit wobbly just now. I'm aware too that I'm thinking before I try these collabs that I've never managed to do a job on any collaboration so far that I've been happy with. BUT, that's in my head and is my problem, and one day I'll maybe manage to capture that elusive "good" take. :icon_whoknows:

I think you are also seeing here why my recorded pieces tend to be almost entirely made up of very early live takes - I spend little time on each part in a recording if I can because I know that my lack of confidence leads me to over-analysing and to producing gradually worse and worse results the more I think about it and the more I get confused with trying to analyse the music played. It's like having a small imperfection in something made of wood and you end up sanding it so much to get rid of each successive imperfection that you end up with a mis-shapen disaster that needs to be thrown out. :wall:

You will have noticed how I over-complicate things when I think about them - this post has just proved that. :lol:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:
bluesinbflat wrote:

Hans is @ home wondering if it will be to hot again today to go up and contribute....... so who knows. :)
It would be great if the white knight of the 12-barsite could gallop up on his horse, guitar strapped to his back, and rescue this piece from the chaos I'm causing! Not that I'll be as nasty to hope for bad weather though :big_smile: :big_smile:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

This evening I finaly could stand the temp in my room so I recorded a rather quick one, in a style not quite in my comfort zone, but I tend to like it just a little. So who knows it was fun to do :lefty:
Here it is... hbl or not to hbl

download/file.php?id=164

:big_smile:
Attachments

G-Blues collab-hbl.mp3 - (3.91 MiB)

A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:This evening I finaly could stand the temp in my room so I recorded a rather quick one, in a style not quite in my comfort zone, but I tend to like it just a little. So who knows it was fun to do :lefty:
Here it is... hbl or not to hbl
Ahhhh - I enjoyed that. :clap: :clap:

It's good to hear a guitar part over this BT where te player has "connected" well with the style of the BT. Skillfully phrased HBL. I found the tempo tricky - I couldn't manage faster flurries to fit the tempo and where I was playing fewer notes it sounded a bit leaden when I played - you manage to avoid any leaden sound when you play slow by using your skill at phrasing and being able to play on, off and around the beat in a way some of us can only admire from afar. It's something to keep working on and please keep posting stuff to keep us all on our toes and wanting to improve. :D

I have now heard this track a lot of times in the last couple of weeks (probably more often than was good for me!) and that harp intro by bluesinbflat gets classier with each listen - the amount of variation in tone and feel over those long notes is awesome - I look forward to hearing more. :drool:

I wait with interest to see how / when the collab will conclude.
weelie

Post by weelie »

whenever I listen the takes on that track, I only hear the harp, and the guitar solos after it I keep missing...
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

I hear a lot of perfect blues on this track, Still i want to share my version with you guy's :oldie: :beer: http://www.box.net/shared/fn3z55hxaz
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

ElMano wrote:I hear a lot of perfect blues on this track, Still i want to share my version with you guy's :oldie: :beer: http://www.box.net/shared/fn3z55hxaz
Thanks for posting that one ElMano - I enjoyed listening to it a lot. :clap: :thumbsup:

You have an ability a certain other player from the Netherland has (now who could that be? :icon_whoknows: ) to vary your phrasing and timing so the listener can't be sure whether the phrase will start or contine on / off / behind / ahead of the beat, but whatever it does it makes musical sense. Anyway the playing was very blues and anyone that can come in and sound good after bluesinbflat has been wailing so beautifully on his harp gets my admiration. :D
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

ElMano wrote:I hear a lot of perfect blues on this track, Still i want to share my version with you guy's :oldie: :beer: http://www.box.net/shared/fn3z55hxaz
Well done my friend :) You hooked me up to the idea of playing the full track to.
I won't be able to match your version, but at least I can give it a try :)
bluesinbflat

Post by bluesinbflat »

Sorry I've taken so long to respond.

Hans, you're the master phraser no doubt.

VB, I like both takes - They're different, but since it comes from the heart then that's all that matters.

El Mano, nice vintage tone and the playing style suits it too, reminds me of some of the early blues recordings from the 1950s like something I would hear Guitar Slim do.