My first ever live guitar solo

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
weelie

My first ever live guitar solo

Post by weelie »

The very first time I've played a guitar solo live, in concert. We did 6 tunes, I was playing rhythm on all (one on ukulele), but this was just a blues tracks, all take a 12-bar turn in soloing (we were 4 guitarist, 4 horns, bass, drums, singer).

Sounds partly terrible, but that it figures, nerves and all. The solo is actually rehash of some simple solos I've tried learning in the past week or two, because I don't know how to play jazzy. But I make it all my own, because I mess up. :D

My solo is at around 35s onwards, some horns before and after. Epiphone Alleykat + Peavey Classic 30.
download/file.php?id=1928
Attachments

my solo.mp3 - (1.58 MiB)

12bar
Site Admin

Re: My first ever live guitar solo

Post by 12bar »

Congrats - well done! :clap:
Even if it's simple - it doesn't matter, it fits well and you've got a great tone (wish the recording was better). :thumbsup:
bluesfreek

Post by bluesfreek »

I too wish the recording was a little better. You guitar is buried in the mix :sad: From what I could hear it sounded clean and jazzy. I didn't hear any serious clams and your timing was good too. :cool:
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Well.....................You did you're best, I'm sure. You have plenty of time to practis with the band, so don't worry to much. I supose the song is recorded with some microfone far from the orcestra, not true a mixer, so what to expect from that ? :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Congrats on having the nerve to have a go! Sounds to me like the solo fitted and was good on timing too - well done. :clap:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
weelie

Post by weelie »

Thanks, guys! I am in the good position that I feel I am the worst of the lot (most to learn from the others, you see!). But realized in the show that some of the guys were more nervous than me.

I was a little buried in the mix, for sure. With 4 guitarists, I just didn't want to be too loud. We were actually backing dance groups, and the point was not to shine too much, I think.

Most fun I had playing I Feel Good by James Brown... here it is (starts at 2min, right after the "Soultrane", a very slow jazz tune): https://www.box.com/s/5d90f5ea8374816b5eff