Barfly

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Barfly

Post by VikingBlues »

Hello everyone - it's me again. :wall:

There's a desparate rush of creative activity here as the holiday draws to a close and I return to the pit of ordure that is my work on Monday. So I'm feeling a bit out of ordure. :roll: Sorry.

So here's a new song.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9320596

This ones more blues in mood and style, and after I've completed the only other unfinished project I intend to try to get back to a "real" blues number for the next again project.

Barfly is in D Natural Minor (chord sequence Dm7, Bb11, Dm7, Bb11, Gm7, Am7, Gm7, Asus4, A) and you won't be surprised to hear the backing track is by David Wallimann (Jamplay.com teacher as I think I've mentioned).

The BT had the right mood for the song about the Barfly (poem by Sandra) - a shimmering sound of alcohol induced wooziness. Not to say depression. :tears:

I've used the cheap (£170 /appx $250) Vintage brand Tele copy for this one and I'm really pleased how good the tone sounds - the Tele is used for both the lead and the arpegiated background guitar. Hope you like it.

EDIT:
Well the other unfinished projects done - "Sparrowhawk". The backing track and lyrics have merit. I'm not sure my arrangement and playing do in this instance - it's not my usual style and not very blues, so doesn't merit a thread of its own and is here in case anyone cares to risk their ears with a listen. :icon_whoknows: :sad:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9321286
Last edited by VikingBlues on Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HoochieCoochieMan

Re: Barfly

Post by HoochieCoochieMan »

Crikey! Talk about creative juices flowing.

Just had a listen and it's great stuff. (Do my ears deceive or do I detect a bit of tasteful reverb on the vocal there?)

Only trouble is, you're setting the bar a bit high for the rest of us.

Nice one.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HoochieCoochieMan wrote:Crikey! Talk about creative juices flowing.

Just had a listen and it's great stuff. (Do my ears deceive or do I detect a bit of tasteful reverb on the vocal there?)

Only trouble is, you're setting the bar a bit high for the rest of us.

Nice one.
Ahhh - you spotted the reverb - the secrets out! :shy:

Still - shows I listen to advice. Thanks for the listen and the positive comments - I do appreciate it. :D

But - seriously - I'm cheating more than a bit in that what I've posted recently hasn't been blues. :naughty:

Where you mention the bar, as far as the bar for blues playing goes, the likes of Blindboy, Blues2move and HalfBlindLefty (to name just three) have set the blues playing bar so high on this site that I've got more chance limbo dancing under it than managing a fosbury flop over it. And when it comes to anyone on this site playing acoustic blues and singing at the same time - well I'm not even nearthat ballpark - I'm not even in the right state for that ballpark. I'm genuinely in awe of the real blues stuff I find on this site - still give it another few years and maybe I'll get the hang of it...??? :icon_whoknows:
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Nice, I like the bluesy guitar playing.
The singing is cool too.
Jan 15th 2007
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

:clap: Wow, I am offline for a couple of days, and come back to find that you have really been cranking them out! May not be straight up blues, but excellent nonetheless. Keep them coming. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote::clap: Wow, I am offline for a couple of days, and come back to find that you have really been cranking them out! May not be straight up blues, but excellent nonetheless. Keep them coming. :thumbsup:
Thanks again Bb. I'm still over the moon about the sound from the Tele copy, and I think it's one of my better attempts for choice of notes in the guitar lead. :D

The holiday break has reminded me just how detrimental my work is to my creative musical flow. However I'm stuck with it, so I think you'll all be waiting a good wee while for the next Viking project as I return to the salt mines tomorrow with my brain in strict mathmatical/figures mode (the left side) while the right hemisphere (which i believe is the music one) doesn't get a look in. :sad:

I've been quite diverted by the "modes" stuff, as suddenly finding that they make some sort of sense after all these years gave me an interest in playing with them. I must get back to a more "straight" blues for the next project. I'll need to keep working hard at that to try to keep getting closer to the 12bar standard.