Picasso, poetry, etc.

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
CarsickPhil

Picasso, poetry, etc.

Post by CarsickPhil »

Dear all

Thought you might be amused to see a couple of things I had a go at recently.

A recital of Wallace Stevens' poem "Man with a Blue Guitar" set to slide guitar blues and illustrated with the painting that inspired him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpFbie8ERGE

My attempt at playing the old classic Vestapol on slide guitar in one take without accompaniment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dDjNn5NNlU

Comments and advice always welcome. And I'd be happy to comment on your own posts if you point me in the right direction.

Best wishes

Carsick Phil
choucas09

Re: Picasso, poetry, etc.

Post by choucas09 »

I thought the looped accompaniment to the poem worked very well indeed plus I like the way you read it. I also liked your slide version of Vestapol. It's refreshing to hear different stuff like this on the forum and I'd like to hear more of it. I used to play Vestapol years ago though not with a slide so you've reminded what a great tune it is and I shall have to relearn it. If I remember correctly it refers to a train.
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Very nice peace of music :thumbsup:
I ones thryed to play slide, but everything what can go wrong was going wrong.
Then i let the glasstube on the desk, who knows maybe some day :wink:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Very much recordings in your own style. I like the tones you're getting from the Tanglewood :thumbsup: - almost encourages me to drag mine out again and try to get to grips with it.

I'm not familiar with Vestapol, but I enjoyed listening to your interpretation - nicely played - your slide playing is improving all the time and is now very fluid and fluent - and it's well phrased and very calm and gentle. :clap:

The"Man with the Blue Guitar" is very much a uniquely CarsickPhil number. Quirky but very listenable, and it is quite catchy. Not for the first time listening to your pieces of this type, like the (not) getting the bus to work recording, I keep getting thoughts of Syd Barratt popping into my head. :clap:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

VikingBlues wrote: I keep getting thoughts of Syd Barratt popping into my head. :clap:
The same here :D

Nice slide playing on Vestapol, very good :thumbsup: :clap:
Jan 15th 2007
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Two nice Demo's Phil
I especially like the One Take Vestapol, works really well.

I think the Winter Slippers make all the difference !! :D
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011