Golden B.B Blues

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
StratLover2

Golden B.B Blues

Post by StratLover2 »

Hi all!

I saw MR's Golden Blues, but did not listen to his take, merely listened to the backing track that he offered up if anybody were willing to have a go. And so I did my own take, and I imagined a lead sound like I originally thought of long ago, long before I started learning lead guitar of what a rock "lead" sound, and using the influences I have learned from Clapton, Cream, Led Zep and so on, brought all of them and my own stuff together on this track.

I am still feeling under the weather a bit, but this track really cheered me up.

Hope you like this different take MR on that BT!

StratLover2

download/file.php?id=1815
Attachments

Golden B.B Blues
Golden B.B Blues 2.mp3 - (3.02 MiB)

Blindboy

Re: Golden B.B Blues

Post by Blindboy »

Ok, SL2... You have great tone and killer chops, but (I hope you don't get offended by a little criticism) for my ear, you need to play a lot less. On this tune, the rhythm is pretty busy, and to keep the flavor of the BT, you need to let it show through and let your playing emphasize it. Like my Dad used to hammer on me... "Dynamics', Dammit!". One of the things that make HBL and Tytlblues such effective players is the spaces they leave and the attention that they pay to the BT and the overall musical statement.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

THanks BNB!

I take no offense to constructive criticism, as I need it to learn and progress. I actually get what you are saying, as upon listening to it, that was my gut reaction. I am going to go record it again and post it here. It is going to be better this time and I will take it easy and slow down!

StratLover2
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

SL2, I'm glad you are so gracious about criticism. I try not to give "advice" here much... I come her for feedback and enjoyment, not to give advice, but sometimes I feel like sharing some experience. :oldie: If I didn't feel that you had some good potential, I wouldn't say anything. :thumbsup:
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

BB,

I have learned what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, and this is making me a lot better of a musician. I treasure advice from musicians like you, like gold from El Dorado. I have been trying to upload my revised version, but for some reason, the internet connection here is conspiring against my attempts to do so. So, perhaps a message that I should just get to sleep and upload tomorrow?

StratLover2
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

Here it is, after a long time of uploading, I managed to get it!

SL2

download/file.php?id=1823
Attachments

GLBBR
Golden B.B Blues Redux.mp3 - (3 MiB)

MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

StratLover2 wrote:Here it is, after a long time of uploading, I managed to get it!

SL2

download/file.php?id=1823
:naughty: Pleas. Listen to BB. This time is no different. You don't pay atention to the rythm section. It's VERY important to do so otherwise you play to somthing elese then the rythm. The BT play something and you play something different. It don't match.

As you said. It don't kill you to listen and take IN the rythm to YOU. :oldie: I know it kan be difficult at start like............. :wall: but it's a unwritten law that you at least try to keep to the rythm section. Listen to the instruments as good as you can. Sometimes you vill fail. Sometimes you will be rihgt on. End of lesson

I'm not the best guitarplayer in this forum. Tytl and hbl and others can play much better then me but here is an example I least try to follow the rythm section.

download/file.php?id=1824 <-----------EXAMPLE (The sound quality is poor)
Attachments

Example.mp3 - (2.99 MiB)

Last edited by MichaelRobinson on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

thanks MR!

I think I get what you are saying and why it is so tricky. Obviously, I am not getting it, but all this means is something's work on. If I try and mesh it with the rhythm hi,st listening to it, I think I have the key.

Thank you for your criticism, it is helping me growth be be a better musician. You know, I think that is a lesson that like here, I tend to forget. Altos of times I manage to do som but I somehow forgot! My guess is with all my time spent preparing for the Easter music for Sunday that my brain slipped behind!

StratLover2

(I was having trouble with the headphones on the iRig, they kept brushing against the guitar. But now I will go back and use them an listen to the BT. I am not giving up!)
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

Hi MR!

I gave it another go, this time thinking of what I was playing in relationship to the background rhythm. Is this an improvement?

SL2

download/file.php?id=1825
Attachments

Third Trys the Charm?
Third Try's the Charm.mp3 - (3.02 MiB)

Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

That's better. :thumbsup: Still need work tho... It doesn't "breathe". I can hear that you are looking for intensity in your playing, and that's good... I could use more intensity in my own playing. The idea, though, is to meter the intensity out in doses, or build up to it. That way it has way more impact than if you start out at a high level and maintain it through the piece.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Some thoughts... first off, it's great that you take up advice from other people here. It's not easy, but always useful to hear what others think.
On the other hand, it's still you playing, and you're young and full of energy. It's great to put this into music, and sometimes it may sound a bit overplayed, but I like this raw energy. You're not too far away from the next step, which is what has been mentioned before: leaving some space, getting the chance to build up tension - all this without loosing your musical identity.

To MR: I wouldn't really rate the musicians here, there's no better or worse. Don't put yourself down. We do have several players here who could easily be called professionals (or semi-pro), but if a bedroom player here makes a good progress (unlike me, I'm pretty much stagnating currently) and hits the "magic" note I enjoy listening as well. And in most cases the player itself is his hardest critic...