Just a Little

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
ratfinkdan

Just a Little

Post by ratfinkdan »

Ok so last week it was raining all day saturday, good excuse to play and record all day, today we had snow all morning! I normally just record my own ideas but this time I thought I'd try a real tune so... Have been playing around with Susan Tedeschis version of Jr Wells Little by Little, so thought I'd give it a try and see if I could do it any justice. Les Paul on the left, Godin exit 22 on the right, 1st solo Les Paul special with p90s, slide solo Les Paul. This is my first recorded slide solo, still have a long ways to go on the slide but I think its a good start, all played through a fender champion 600 mic'ed up. Actually took quite a bit more work to record a known song than to make up your own but it was good fun! Thanks for listening and hope you enjoy! Dan

PS: Thanks for all the inspiration that I get from listening to all the excellent recording that you guys post, so many great players here!
tytlblues

Re: Just a Little

Post by tytlblues »

Dan, Just tried to listen but got a player error message!
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

tytlblues wrote:Dan, Just tried to listen but got a player error message!
Give another try and let me know, I tried it a couple of times and it was working, Thanks. Dan
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Ok it worked, must of been on my end. I like the song. All the parts are tight with each other, and nicely played. I think it is recorded very well, and your playing on each part is wonderful. I really like you doing the whole song yourself, instead of a BT. Makes the whole project sound very nice indeed. Good plying overall, and very tasteful.

:music2:

Look forward to hearing some more!

Ps... the slide wasn't bad at all! nice and simple but on pitch and fit was the song nicely!
Tytlblues

BB King
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

Thanks Tytlblues, I sometimes play around with BTs ( got a few cds of Blues BTs) but I really like playing all the parts as much as I can. I feel like it makes you think more about what works with what and really it just learning more about how to play the music and how to record and mix it also! I wish I could sing but thats a gift that I wassn't given. Any way just love playin the Blues! Glad you liked the tune, Thanks. Dan
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Agreed - it takes a lot of work to record a known song - and it far more often ends up with the end result being sent to the recycle bin in disgust! :angry:

What you've recorded here is a very good version indeed - and all your own work too. :thumbsup: Very tight, strong on rhythm and tasteful tones. :clap:

.... and more P90s! :drool:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

hats a nice peace off music you made RD :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I now it's difficult to play along a BT, sow a big :clap:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Nice job and pretty good tones :clap: :thumbsup:
The slide solo ain't bad either :clap: :clap:
Jan 15th 2007
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

Thanks Guys, glad your enjoying the tune! I really like slide guitar and have played a little here and there usually more in the rhythm than the lead. I probably should setup a guitar just for that, it would probably make it easier. So I'm glad that the slide solo sounds ok also. Thanks! Dan
choucas09

Post by choucas09 »

" I really like playing all the parts as much as I can. I feel like it makes you think more about what works with what and really it just learning more about how to play the music and how to record and mix it also! " ............Couldn't agree more Dan.

I really enjoyed this, I love riff based blues and this had me rocking on my chair. Great spunky playing and slide too as a bonus.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Right on! :thumbsup:
Nice playing, and cool slide... slide isn't easy, as I know. :whistle: :whistle:
Good vibe throughout this piece.
Looks like we will be up in your neck of the woods at the end of July. Think you can line up an open mic or something that I can come and jam at??? I will bring a guitar and maybe an amp.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
bluesfreek

Post by bluesfreek »

That was sweet! I LOVE the groove and may steal it! :think:
Nice tasteful solo lead playing and great tones. Like it's already been said you have a good tight rhythm going with the other guitar playing along with the bass riff. I do that a lot myself. I applaud you for taking up the slide. You sound like you are getting a handle on it but always remember it's all about the "vibrato". :wink:
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Yes.............All the guys above in this thread have allready said all I want to say..............I agree with them...... :thumbsup:
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Since the topic was still near the top of the board, I listened again.....yep...... I still like it Dan :)
Tytlblues

BB King