Take 2 BluesG7 Collab - New thread

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Take 2 BluesG7 Collab - New thread

Post by VikingBlues »

Given AlaskaBluesGuy's classy piece of playing :clap: which had no room on the first take of this collab, given MichaelRobinson being interested to join in with this collab, and given some very talented players on the forum standing to one side to let others play on the version that has now been completed .....

- I'm hopng there's enough interest to have a second collab on this great BT. :fingerscrossed:

There were seven very different interpretations on the first one, so I'm sure this "Take 2" can be VERY different. ABG's part is certainly very different and I've hogged the last section for myself - partly due to it being a perk for the sound engineer :haha: and partly becasue my last section playing is quite a bit different to my part on the first collab.

So - this is the backing track in full.
download/file.php?id=1775
As a taste of where we are - this is the last two sections - ABG and VB. :music2:
download/file.php?id=1774

Michael - I see you commenting you're unsure about how the collab works.
1 - Book yourself a place in the collab by posting a reply on the thread - there are currently places open for choruses 1 thorugh to 5. The approximate times in minutes and seconds are shown on the list to help identify where each section is.
2 - When your place is confirmed then you can set about making the recording. I guess you have multitrack recording software (some sort of DAW). I would download the mp3 backing track onto track 1 of my DAW. Then i would record my part in the appropriate time slot while listening to the backing track.
3 - I would then mute / silence track 1 so that only my guitar part was sounding. I would then export it as an mp3 - this will have only the guitar part on it and the recording will include a silence before that for however long the solo was from the beginning of the backing track.
4 - I would then upload this mp3 of just my guitar part (which includes the earlier silence) in a reply on this thread.
This allows me, as the recording engineer just to download your mp3 guitar part and pop it into my DAW on a new track - because it includes the earlier silence it will line up perfectly in my multitrack with the original backing track. It can be a bit of a pest trying to line up a guitar part by sliding it around if the opening silence is not on the recording.

Having said that - if it is a problem for you to do all of this - I can take a recording that includes the backing track as well as your guitar part - but if I do that I have to cut out a bit of the original backing track to match where you've played and have to cut it just at the right place to make sure the timing is all Ok and there no gap or jump in the rhythm. Not a major problem but it is a little tricky to get it just right.

#1 up to 0:53 -
#2 up to 1:40 -
#3 up to 2:26 -
#4 up to 3:12 -
#5 up to 3:58 -
#6 up to 4:44 - AlaskaBluesGuy
#7 up to end - VikingBlues

Roll up ... roll up ..... any volunteers!!! :dance:
Attachments

SlowBluesG7 BT for collab Take 2
SlowBlues_G7.mp3 - (5.18 MiB)

SlowG7 Collab ABG and VB only
SlowBluesG7 Collab Take 2_ABG VB only.mp3 - (1.63 MiB)

An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
StratLover2

Re: Take 2 BluesG7 Collab - New thread

Post by StratLover2 »

If nobody minds, I would like to take the first slot. I will go ahead and do my part, it will be interesting to contrast it to the other collab. :)

EDIT:

I did my part. I warmed up by playing over the Groaning Blues BT rediscovered here, to warm up my blues licks. I think it must have done me good. First time recording, I played on the wrong BT, so I tried again, but I didn't go long enough, finally, on the third try, got a more natural piece that satisfied the length for my part. Good luck to everybody recording! It will be interesting to see how this piece contrast compared to the other one!
download/file.php?id=1776

EDIT2:

As VB suggested the very talented players on this forum standing aside, not wanting to boast, perhaps, I should stand aside? Perhaps I was a tad bit hasty in recording this, and expecting to be able to join in on the second round, if I am allowed. If not, this can await another collar on this BT.
Attachments

Take 2 G7 Blues, SL2's part
Take 2 Blues G7, SL2, ABG and VB 2.mp3 - (5.21 MiB)

alaskabluesguy

Post by alaskabluesguy »

Cool, thanks VB!! This is shaping up to be the "hot" take!!

Nice job so far! :beer: :clap:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

StratLover2 wrote:If nobody minds, I would like to take the first slot. I will go ahead and do my part, it will be interesting to contrast it to the other collab. :)

As VB suggested the very talented players on this forum standing aside, not wanting to boast, perhaps, I should stand aside? Perhaps I was a tad bit hasty in recording this, and expecting to be able to join in on the second round, if I am allowed. If not, this can await another collar on this BT.
Consider your contribution accepted and put on the collab. And a fiery start to to the collab too. :clap:

Thank you for joining in. TBH I think it more likely that we'll struggle to get all the choruses filled than there being too much demand.
alaskabluesguy wrote:Cool, thanks VB!! This is shaping up to be the "hot" take!!

Nice job so far! :beer: :clap:
:thumbsup: Your take was a major reason fr making me want to set up a 'Take 2'! :clap:

#1 up to 0:53 - StratLover2 (DONE)
#2 up to 1:40 -
#6 up to 4:44 - AlaskaBluesGuy (DONE)
#7 up to end - VikingBlues (DONE)
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

I'd join if you let me :fingerscrossed: part 2 ?
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

VB I'll do a second on this collab if you need space filled.
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:I'd join if you let me :fingerscrossed: part 2 ?
.... :thumbsup: Sounds like a good idea to me!
tytlblues wrote:VB I'll do a second on this collab if you need space filled.
.... fine with me - glad to hear a contribution from you - d'you want to pick one of 3,4 or 5 - the BT varies quite a bit on each chorus, so you might well have a preference. :thumbsup:

#2 up to 1:40 - HBL

-- one of 3,4 or 5 - Tytl

I'll need to keep in reserve a place for MichaelRobinson for a few days. So there's currently room for at least one more.
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

OK spot #5 it is!
Tytlblues

BB King
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Ok, I did do my thingie :D
Sorry, but I got more mellow and extra creative after SL's heavy stuff.
I used only a couple of notes in the lead :eye_rub: , but added some rhythm thingies to make-up for that :bb:

SL, you have no reason to stand back @ collabs, rest assured.

Here they are : I should have done better, but that leaves something to wish for
Attachments

slblues_g7_collab_only_hbl.mp3 - (2.97 MiB)

slblues_g7_collab_full_hbl.mp3 - (2.97 MiB)

A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Sorry, but I got more mellow and extra creative after SL's heavy stuff.
Thanks for the upload - plays very nicely indeed and it's great to have some light and shade to the collab. :clap: :thumbsup:
HalfBlindLefty wrote:I should have done better, but that leaves something to wish for
Yeah, sounds familiar - that's how I've felt about every contribution I've ever made to a collab. :wall:
Though at least with these two G7 collabs I've got closer than ever before to not feeling that.
tytlblues wrote:OK spot #5 it is!
Look forward to an upload! :thumbsup:

#2 up to 1:40 - HBL (DONE)
#5 up to 3:58 - Tytl

In reserve - a place for MichaelRobinson
So ... at least one more free.
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

It will be tonight, I am sure after you have gone to bed though. I suspect it will be mellow also......Just don't feel a pants on fire solo to this track. Good thing we got ABG, and VB to ramp it up at the end!!!

OK, here is my part

download/file.php?id=1779
Tytlblues

BB King
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Okey, okey.....................I give up.........Im in but I don't promis it to be good because I dont' feel well in my soul right now but I will do what I can. Sign me in for #4.
When is the deadline ? Wich date ?
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

MichaelRobinson wrote:Okey, okey.....................I give up.........Im in but I don't promis it to be good becouse I dont' feel well in my soul right now but I will do what I can. Sign me in for #4.
When is the deadline ? Wich date ?
:thumbsup: Glad to have you in on the collab ... if it helps at all I nearly always feel I under achieve in a collab, but I do feel it's good to join in.

There is no deadline. There is still another part to be filled anyway. If after several days you don't manage to get anything together and think it's not going to work out you can always still drop back out - we don't want to force anything on you.

#4 up to 3:12 - MR
#5 up to 3:58 - Tytl (DONE - subject to Tytl confirming a piece of VB editing)

So - anyone want slot #3? :icon_whoknows:
MichaelRobinson

Here is my part #4. I hope I'v did it right otherwise I do a new recording. Is it right ?

download/file.php?id=1782
Attachments

Michael Robinson Slow Blues in G7.mp3 - (735.51 KiB)

VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

MichaelRobinson wrote:Here is my part #4. I hope I'v did it right otherwise I do a new recording. Is it right ?
Thanks MR - yes - it is right! :thumbsup: I've popped it into the DAW but I haven't had time to do a proper job on it - just a few free minutes at lunch. Sounds fine though. :big_smile:

Wow - quick progress - 6 down, 1 to go.

#4 up to 3:12 - MR (DONE)
#5 up to 3:58 - Tytl (DONE)
Last edited by VikingBlues on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelRobinson

VikingBlues wrote:
MichaelRobinson wrote:Here is my part #4. I hope I'v did it right otherwise I do a new recording. Is it right ?
Thanks MR - yes - it is right! :thumbsup: I've popped it into the DAW but I haven't had time to do a proper job on it - just a few free minutes at lunch. Sounds fine though. :big_smile:
Okey..VB. Then I can rest and let you work :wink:
I hope someone is interested in #3 so you can finish the collab. I'm allso interested in the result of our effort.
Last edited by MichaelRobinson on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Sounding good guys... :thumbsup: Looking forward to hearing the finished product. :cool:
I'm gonna bow out of this one... I played on the last two collabs...
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
alaskabluesguy

Post by alaskabluesguy »

One more spot! :whistle:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

alaskabluesguy wrote:One more spot! :whistle:
So near .... yet, so far!! :big_smile:

We wait in hope ... :fingerscrossed:
Pena

Post by Pena »

Well here's my try on the #3 spot.
Got me a new toy few days back and picked with it, and Line 6/Plexi Lead 100
Pena
download/file.php?id=1787
Attachments

SlowBlues_G7 #3.mp3 - (1.11 MiB)

"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson