Anyone in for a HBL mix ?

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Anyone in for a HBL mix ?

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Today I did a quick record to a bt I found @ jamsession (I think it was)
I extended the BT to 3 times it length and recorded 2 tracks / channels with lead.

1 channel bridge pickup and the other middle + bridge pickup (Tokai Strat)
The tracks are RAW, unfiltered, uncut etc

I just wanted to start doing some mixing editing and mastering when a thought struck me :think: :aha: Why not upload the stuff and see if there are some people @ 12bar who would like to play around with the tracks and create a mix in stead of me doing the HBL thing to it. :whistle:

So if you like, give it a stab, you can even join me by cutting out sections from my tracks and play yourself.

I'm curious to see what comes out

Backingtrack : viewtopic.php?f=7&t=158
Channel 1 : viewtopic.php?f=7&t=159
Channel 2 : viewtopic.php?f=7&t=160

Happy mixing :wave:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Re: Anyone in for a HBL mix ?

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Mhh as I come to think about it : Sorry for using the BT subforum to upload the channel tracks to, Gerd :shy: Just :motz: :angry: me if you like to :wall:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

Hi HBL, great idea! I did a quick mix already.

Your playing and sound are so good it was really easy to make, I added a little echo, panned the tracks and cut out a lot so it wasn't too busy, and I think it works. Hope you like it :beer:

download/file.php?id=133
Attachments

Like Soul (Blackhorse mix).mp3 - (3.62 MiB)

HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

:clap: :clap: :clap: Great mix BlackHorse :pray:

Quite different from what I would have done, but very good.
I have to admit it was wierd to listen to something I played and not knowing what would come next :)
Thanks !

Mhh I like this idea, other peoples approach to my music :lefty:

Who's next ?
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

What an interesting idea !! .. good thinking HBL .....you now have your own team of "producers"

its also interesting to hear the unedited guitar track ...........warts and all ..........(not too many warts mind!! )

Blackhorse You've done a sterling job here ......absolutely works for me !!... feels like a compete piece of music and there a good flow to it ... begining middle end kinda thing.

You've certainly cut and pasted well ( I think I've given up recording .so mixing is way out side my very limited levels of competency !!) HBL's original really well

The double tracking piece at 3.10 is brilliant !! ( good timing HBL) and is a great way to draw it to an end ......mind you at 3.45 where you get a kinda double track crescendo .I felt I wanted a bit more ....( well they always say ' leave 'em wanting more' )

and I have guitars coming out of both speakers ... never sure where the next one will come from !!

Well done artist :thumbsup: ...........Bravo Producer !! :thumbsup:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Pena

Post by Pena »

Well played Blackhorse :guitarist: , and recording was great too. Those different tones :thumbsup: and at the end two guitars with diffrent tones... :clap:
And most of all, thx HBL for the BT, sooooooooo relaxing and soooooooooo you :lefty: " suits you" for not being trad. 12 bar.
Liked to strum it here at home, shame that my spare time atm is max few hrs/day, that's why all my strumming isn't properly done and all I do is just scratch surface a bit :cry:
Hope to get time to do a recording too... sometime :oldie:

Pena

ps. And :welcome: to all new members, THIS SITE IS THE PLACE :high5:
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson
Jondo

Post by Jondo »

i like it! i kept hearing a second guitar part in my head and finally a little after 3 minutes in i almost Eargasimed. nice work on the mix too! i think i will pick up Ol'Honey and play along.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks folks :D

Still waiting for another approach or jam ;)
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:clap: That's something to play with! Good idea and nice mix already. :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Thanks folks :D

Still waiting for another approach or jam ;)
Well, after his holiday and the relaxed creative mood now long gone, somebody called VikingBlues has been having a go at doing a mix, but someone called VikingBlues has got nowhere fast. :sad: :wall: It sounds very good with the BT and either of the tracks you have done HBL, but as soon as I try to do any editing it gradually (or not so gradually!) gets worse with each adjustment. :angry:

I don't think I was cut out to be a recording engineer - one of the reasons that my own stuff is essentially multi tracked live takes with use of the best one even if it has some warts in the playing. I know from experience that once I start messing with it things will never get better. I had wondered if it just applied to trying to edit my own music - I now know that it isn't.

I suspected Blackhorse had done a really good job of the mix he did (and so quickly too). I now know this to be the case. Very well done Blackhorse. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Like Jondo said, I also found great difficulty in not hearing a second guitar sound in my head as soon as I started playing around with the BT plus 1 HBL lead track - I kept losing concentration and started listening to the guitar work. I think for editing you can't use the same part of the brain that helps in the guitar playing function, and I think I can't get that part of my brain to shut the hell up and let me edit.

I think I like the idea of using the BT and either of HBLs lead tracks to play around with being HBLs backing guitarist - that sounds more like pleasure to me. :D
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Great idea VB, just try it and see if you like it :D
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Great idea VB, just try it and see if you like it :D
Well HBL, I've tried it. Do I like it??????????????????? :icon_whoknows: :icon_whoknows: :icon_whoknows:

I tried not to get too much in your way with my guitar part(s) but I'm afraid I probably got a bit carried away more than should have done. Also in editing the piece and moving your guitar parts around I've maybe messed up on the timing etc.

However, after a weekend of cutting the top branches off a tree (before the branches brought down phone cables) the end result seems passable in my present state of mind. I don't like heights so my nerves are jangling! :yikes:

One very interesting thing that is apparent from trying to edit your and my guitar parts is how much more predictably I tend to keep playing on the beat. One of the things that stands out about your playing for me is your ability to fit phrases into the backing but not in an obvious way on the timing, sometimes coming in before or afterthe beat, but always making sense.

Anyway, I hope listening to this version is not too painful. :sad:

download/file.php?id=155
Attachments

HBL Like Soul with added VikingBlues guitar and edit attempt by VikingBlues.
Like Soul HBL VB Project.mp3 - (3.48 MiB)

HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

VikingBlues wrote:
However, after a weekend of cutting the top branches off a tree (before the branches brought down phone cables) the end result seems passable in my present state of mind. I don't like heights so my nerves are jangling! :yikes:
Mr. (bo) nerves jangles... :away:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

WELL DONE :clap: :thumbsup: :music2:
you stayed nicely out of the way and were you fell together with my part it fits quite nicely.

How did you record this... while listening to my part at the same time ?
Great sound and good mix btw.

After listening I felt like re-recording my part :)
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:WELL DONE :clap: :thumbsup: :music2:
you stayed nicely out of the way and were you fell together with my part it fits quite nicely.

How did you record this... while listening to my part at the same time ?
Great sound and good mix btw.

After listening I felt like re-recording my part :)
Thank you HBL - I did feel like a bit of in intruder trespassing on your playing, but I did enjoy the experience. :big_smile:

I moved and edited your guitar parts first to have Channel 1 come in first after 23 seconds or so. I broke this track off at a point that sensibly allowed a stop (02.25) and then left a gap of 7 seconds or so before your channel 2 part kicked in. I then played my guitar part while listening to the whole of the piece - BT plus your guitar as if I was playing live and listening to the rest of the group. I then filled in some second guitar from just before the point at which your channel 1 part ended. For my accompaniment after your guitar parts kicked in I tried to do variations on my opening theme, but trying to mix and match with what you played.

I did try to cheat some of the time by watching out in the DAW window for when your next guitar phrase would kick in so I could get the timing right. As I said in the earlier post you have the ability to play phrases which sound great and right but don't necessarily start or end on the beat. This makes it more difficult for me to move the track in editing as matching it the the BT is more difficult and I didn't want to play on the beat all the time, as I tend to do, as I felt that it wouldn't give such a good match. :icon_whoknows:

Thanks for the chance of doing this. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you wanted to do a re-recording I could upload a track of just my 2 guitar parts which you could add to the original BT.
HalfBlindLefty wrote:Mr. (bo) nerves jangles... :away:
:rofl: :thumbsup: