Selfish Shellfish Blues

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Selfish Shellfish Blues

Post by VikingBlues »

Trying for slow and a raw edge. Trying to get that blues "attitude" smouldering at least a bit.

Main lead guitar part panned right - slide panned left (damn - I've not been practicing slide and it shows :roll: ). Trying to get them to talk to each other a bit.

Blind Oyster BT Lawrence Fritts. Like the way the BT has got three contrasting sections.
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11514398

download/file.php?id=1721
Attachments

Selfish Shellfish Blues in E
Selfish Shellfish Blues.mp3 - (3.18 MiB)

Last edited by VikingBlues on Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
tytlblues

Re: Selfish Shellfish Blues

Post by tytlblues »

Wow VB......very nice.....OK, I love the lead clean tone....you've been getting some REALLY good smooth tones lately. Also, I don't think I 'ver ever heard so many bluesy notes, and bends from you ever!!!! I am also really digging your vibrato lately.....very tasteful!
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

VB - that's some very good playing and a great bit of blending guitars. :thumbsup: :clap:

But you do realize, don't you, that not even a native speaker of English can say the name of the piece - at least not three times in a row. :lol: :haha:
losaavedra

Post by losaavedra »

Totally agree with tytlblues ... there's a blues man a comin' here back from the crossroads!!! Really like it.
Mike
"I feel more like I do now than when I first came on" (Ronnie Scott, Maidstone)
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Nice lead. Lots of bends. Youre guitar sounds very good, nice tone. I did not know you slide to but now I know. It's a simple song and you play it with style. :clap: :thumbsup:
choucas09

Post by choucas09 »

That worked really well. Moody slide underpinning the lead. I've never thought to do that, always done one or the other. Nice one.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Oh Yeah! Good job on this one. :clap:
I like the blend of smoky slide and stabbing guitar licks. Your bends and vibrato and bent vibrato have come leaps and bounds, and I am hearing double stops and staccato chunks that sound great... really lend some variety to your blues playing. I like how you are playing blues without sounding much like anyone else... a real challenge. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone - it's a great moody BT to try to weave something around. :D
Blindboy wrote:I like the blend of smoky slide and stabbing guitar licks. Your bends and vibrato and bent vibrato have come leaps and bounds, and I am hearing double stops and staccato chunks that sound great... really lend some variety to your blues playing. I like how you are playing blues without sounding much like anyone else... a real challenge. :thumbsup:
tytlblues wrote:Also, I don't think I 'ver ever heard so many bluesy notes, and bends from you ever!!!! I am also really digging your vibrato lately.....very tasteful!
choucas09 wrote:Moody slide underpinning the lead.
Deciding to add the slide part did make a big difference to this - as far as blues goes, it seems so much easier to make notes played with a slide sound bluesy. The advice I got about about bends and vibrato here (a lot of that advice from a certain Blindboy) have helped my playing progress a lot. As far as sounding like me goes it has not been a deliberate thing at all - it's just happened - I cannot get close to playing in anyone elses style however hard I try!
losaavedra wrote:Totally agree with tytlblues ... there's a blues man a comin' here back from the crossroads!!! Really like it.
Errmm ... :shy: Thank you for that very generous comment - I do really appreciate it.
MichaelRobinson wrote:Youre guitar sounds very good, nice tone.
... and others of you that mentioned the tone. I had never thought a PRS would be the guitar that would take me closer to the blues, but I do feel it's a lot to do with the Tonerider Vintage style Alnico II P90s - they transformed it into a tone machine that just makes my musical taste buds water. :drool: ... and I keep inching towards a better tone as I get better understanding of, any better quality pedals and gear too.
MojoJim wrote:But you do realize, don't you, that not even a native speaker of English can say the name of the piece - at least not three times in a row. :lol: :haha:
I loved that comment - a real laughing out loud when I read it - thanks for helping me start the day with a happy laugh. :big_smile:
choucas09

Post by choucas09 »

I hadn't heard of Tonerider, but I've just been checking them out. I've read some great reviews and talk about value for money. I've got an alnico II P90 in the neck position on one of my guitars and it's my favourite. The perfect all-rounder. Are there any pics up on site of your SE?
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

choucas09 wrote:I hadn't heard of Tonerider, but I've just been checking them out. I've read some great reviews and talk about value for money. I've got an alnico II P90 in the neck position on one of my guitars and it's my favourite. The perfect all-rounder. Are there any pics up on site of your SE?
I think Tonerider have got themselves a very good reputation on the internet - so much so that their prices are reflecting this - £29 up to £40 in the last year for the ones I got. :sad: We've quite a few P90 fans on 12bar - glad to know you're another. :thumbsup: I will admit I'm baffled as to the general unpopularity of P90s with guitar buyers - the manager in my favourite local guitar store said he really likes their sound, but he knows if he gets a P90 guitar it's likely to hang on the wall for months and not get sold. I do get the impression they are starting to make a bit of a comeback though. :icon_whoknows:

There's pictures that I took when I got the guitar on this old thread - the pups are since changed but the Toneriders look exactly the same as the stock ones did. The woodgrain shows through the colour finish better than the pictures suggest.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=776&hilit=prs+se+soapbar