12 Bars For MR

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
tytlblues

12 Bars For MR

Post by tytlblues »

As I was discussing with MR on his thread, his feeling his song are a bit simplistic, I reminded him in blues SIMPLE is good. Decided to take a bit of my own medicine. One for you MR, hopefully note quility is is before quantity. Simple blues licks and a few chord tones.

Epi 335, clean tone

download/file.php?id=1696
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
Blindboy

Re: 12 Bars For MR

Post by Blindboy »

Petty sweet! :thumbsup:
As an aside... I wonder how "simple" one could get and still sound musical and hold the listeners interest? May be time to find a BT and experiment.... :think:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Thank you , tytl for youre song. You play great and you realy kan play simple blues with lot of feeling and good technical skill. I like it. I do hear that you can play the lead with more notes and with scales I don't know of. You use more of youre guitar than I do. You play like a proffesionel guitarist. I just don't have words how tastefull this is.

Thank's agin, tytl. I will use this song as a guide to better playing, I hope. I will save it and listen carefully to how a realy good guitar player do. I consider you as a mentor in that way.

:high5: :beer:

Kind regards/ MR
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Love to listen to a slow, tasteful and wistful blues - and this fits the bill perfectly. :clap:

Great demo to show that it doesn't take rapid fire and huge crunching tone to get an effective blues recording. Very instructional for a lot of us.

The introduction into the lead of chord, part chords, double notes is also instructive - I have to be honest and say that even with something as very simple as a basic 12bar blues arrangement I'm often unsure what chord is being played on the BT when doing an improv - I'm just winging it by ear :whistle: on what single notes might sound good - I guess for those of us that do that we need to practice just trying more than one note at a time and let the brain muscle memory (over time) take care of when to play which of these.

As Blindboy says - how few notes can a good blueser do and still hold the listeners interest? I await any possible recordings resulting from that suggestion with interest. I do find less can definitely be more on the melodic lead style of recordings, but there's more going on in the "backing" music to help keep the interest going - so the guitarist has the luxury of being able to ease back more. With the basic blues BT there's a much bigger onus on just the guitar to make the piece different / interesting - that at least is the thing for me that makes playing good blues so much more tricky.

I think you'll agree MR - the forum is great for listening to these guys that know how to play blues (and other styles) so well - the way we can learn from them (and for free too!). :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

VikingBlues wrote:Love to listen to a slow, tasteful and wistful blues - and this fits the bill perfectly. :clap:

Great demo to show that it doesn't take rapid fire and huge crunching tone to get an effective blues recording. Very instructional for a lot of us.

The introduction into the lead of chord, part chords, double notes is also instructive - I have to be honest and say that even with something as very simple as a basic 12bar blues arrangement I'm often unsure what chord is being played on the BT when doing an improv - I'm just winging it by ear :whistle: on what single notes might sound good - I guess for those of us that do that we need to practice just trying more than one note at a time and let the brain muscle memory (over time) take care of when to play which of these.

As Blindboy says - how few notes can a good blueser do and still hold the listeners interest? I await any possible recordings resulting from that suggestion with interest. I do find less can definitely be more on the melodic lead style of recordings, but there's more going on in the "backing" music to help keep the interest going - so the guitarist has the luxury of being able to ease back more. With the basic blues BT there's a much bigger onus on just the guitar to make the piece different / interesting - that at least is the thing for me that makes playing good blues so much more tricky.

I think you'll agree MR - the forum is great for listening to these guys that know how to play blues (and other styles) so well - the way we can learn from them (and for free too!). :thumbsup:
Yes, VB, I agree. It nice to hear somone how can turn a 12bar blues into art. Outstanding good.
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

MichaelRobinson wrote:I do hear that you can play the lead with more notes and with scales I don't know of.
MR thanks, there is nothing in this solo you do not know, or won't know very quickly. It is the minor blues scale, a few notes form the major scale, and the 3 basic blues chords.

MR, if you have never been taught 3 simple chord shapes for the 12 bar blues, let me know and I will try to post them later?

MichaelRobinson wrote:I consider you as a mentor in that way.
OK, but you MUST do what I do............

I listen to VB, how his often understated melodies bring a lyrical sense to his lead lines........

HBL.......his jams, quite often are more like a composed song, thoughtfully developed, with a great sense of rhythm and anticipation.......always seems to play the next note your brain expects!

Blindboy..........a self stated "simple blues man" yet time and time again with the train wreck blues band, he can meld and form into almost any style of playing, all while staying with in own style!

Also, Gerd and BB both have a nice fingerstlye

I can go on, and on, and there are many great players here...........

So let's all be a mentor to each other!

Tytl
Tytlblues

BB King
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

Now thats the good stuff!! Very nice! Dan
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Well TB, simple is good very good :thumbsup: :clap:

I like a lot to lisen to this, nice playing and great tone.
I also like the video om joe-tjoep :wink: sow i can see what youre doing.
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
jokron

Post by jokron »

Really nice playing...

I agree with tytlblues: "there is nothing in this solo you do not know, or won't know very quickly. It is the minor blues scale, a few notes form the major scale, and the 3 basic blues chords." and I take that statement to myself too. I know the chords and pretty well the minor and major pentatonic scales. What tytlblues and the other good players on this forum has that I don't really master yet is the timing! The timing is essential, listen to EC, he can play a solopart with very few notes and it sounds awesome although it's well known notes, but the timing is what it's about...you can get the chords, scales and licks under your fingers, but if the timing is wrong you'll ruin the tune...

Just some thoughts from

/Jokron
I was looking for the perfect guitar, I found it...but...I ran into trouble...it was looking for the perfect guitarist...
MichaelRobinson

tytlblues wrote:
MichaelRobinson wrote:I do hear that you can play the lead with more notes and with scales I don't know of.
MR thanks, there is nothing in this solo you do not know, or won't know very quickly. It is the minor blues scale, a few notes form the major scale, and the 3 basic blues chords.

MR, if you have never been taught 3 simple chord shapes for the 12 bar blues, let me know and I will try to post them later?

MichaelRobinson wrote:I consider you as a mentor in that way.
OK, but you MUST do what I do............

I listen to VB, how his often understated melodies bring a lyrical sense to his lead lines........

HBL.......his jams, quite often are more like a composed song, thoughtfully developed, with a great sense of rhythm and anticipation.......always seems to play the next note your brain expects!

Blindboy..........a self stated "simple blues man" yet time and time again with the train wreck blues band, he can meld and form into almost any style of playing, all while staying with in own style!

Also, Gerd and BB both have a nice fingerstlye

I can go on, and on, and there are many great players here...........

So let's all be a mentor to each other!

Tytl
I do think I can learn the chords and notes. There is an other thing to play them well and with feeling, that's the strugle part...........

Oh Yes. I listen to everybody that upload songs, and you are right. There is many good players in this forum........

Yes of course, we can all learn from each other....................
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

A great example from tytlblues, showing HIS style for a simple blues. Even with minor pentatonic there'e still a lot of jazz in it - you can hear who's playing after only a few notes.
I like BB's idea of a simple BT where everyone can try to play as simple as possible while still catching your ears. :thumbsup:
Bluez2move

Post by Bluez2move »

That was some sweet minor blues riffage :thumbsup:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

12bar wrote:I like BB's idea of a simple BT where everyone can try to play as simple as possible while still catching your ears.
Do I hear a big collab coming on? :dance:
tytlblues wrote:Blindboy..........a self stated "simple blues man" yet time and time again with the train wreck blues band, he can meld and form into almost any style of playing, all while staying with in own style!
One of the finest compliments I have had on my playing... Thanks Tytlblues.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Blindboy wrote:
12bar wrote:I like BB's idea of a simple BT where everyone can try to play as simple as possible while still catching your ears.
I'm in the mood for 12 simple bars... :banana:
Pena

Post by Pena »

12bar wrote:
Blindboy wrote:
I'm in the mood for 12 simple bars... :banana:
YEP, YEP, YEP :chicken:
Something like this I've been waiting :drool:
Pena
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Thanks guys for the comments, and BB is right, maybe a nice big collab!!!!
Tytlblues

BB King
Strummer07

12 Bars & Simple Blues

Post by Strummer07 »

Nice one tyiblues !!

I'm all for keeping it simple !!..the KISS principle has mostly worked for me ( usually when I am trying to over -engineer things)
Gotta Work in the Blues too ... Thanks for the demo.
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
MichaelRobinson

jokron wrote:Really nice playing...

I agree with tytlblues: "there is nothing in this solo you do not know, or won't know very quickly. It is the minor blues scale, a few notes form the major scale, and the 3 basic blues chords." and I take that statement to myself too. I know the chords and pretty well the minor and major pentatonic scales. What tytlblues and the other good players on this forum has that I don't really master yet is the timing! The timing is essential, listen to EC, he can play a solopart with very few notes and it sounds awesome although it's well known notes, but the timing is what it's about...you can get the chords, scales and licks under your fingers, but if the timing is wrong you'll ruin the tune...

Just some thoughts from

/Jokron
Yes. You is absolutly right. It's timing. As I said somwere in this thred I think I can learn the cords and notes. It's the timingpart that make a good lead and I think one has to feel it. My feelings are locked in in pain and trauma so for me it's difficult to feel the blues, at the moment. I will discus this and much more with my upcoming help. I need to be relesed from traumas and pain to start living again. It's basic for everyone ta have a inner life that funktion well. Att the moment I don't funktion but hope I and the shrink can solve my problems. That's the straight forvard truth.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

That sounds much better! :fingerscrossed:

For the collab - a new thread? Anyone up for a simple BT?
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

tytlblues wrote:Also, Gerd and BB both have a nice fingerstlye
You can add VB to this short list. :thumbsup:
Someone, I think it was Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, once said... "I don't need a pick, I got five of them on my hand."... or words to that effect.