Oh Gee Major

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Oh Gee Major

Post by VikingBlues »

Having had a go at G Minor on HBLs Gee Blues BT - had a need to tackle G major for a change - picked a Marty Schwarz BT from GuitarJamz.com. G Major Pentatonic with a dash or two of Ionian (my favourite major mode).

I still need to work a lot at Major to get it up to the same comfort level as minor. Continuing to try to develop use of compression and the new Hardwire CM2 pedal together. Playing the PRS (again).

download/file.php?id=1662
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11447742
Attachments

Oh Gee Major - improv
Oh Gee Major.mp3 - (4.76 MiB)

Last edited by VikingBlues on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MikeJackal

Re: Oh Gee Major

Post by MikeJackal »

I don't know who invented it, but whoever it was is a git, why is major so much harder than minor to play. I listen to Greeny and B.B. do it with ease and switch between major and minor just as easy, yet it always trips me up finding the right note choices. You can bend just about every note in minor but it sounds terrible if you try in major.
Having said that you pulled it off and to boot over a very hard backing track to keep going for that long without running out of ideas. Well done.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Very nice one VB :thumbsup:
I find it so great that people can find a way with a BT, i tray a lot but some how is so hard to find a pad.

Is there a theorie that yoy use, or is it just coming up and play?
well it a ...
Great peace of work... :clap:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Cheers Mike and 2WOB. :D
MikeJackal wrote:You can bend just about every note in minor but it sounds terrible if you try in major.
Having said that you pulled it off and to boot over a very hard backing track to keep going for that long without running out of ideas.
I do know what you mean on the minor v major Mike, and there does seem to be less opportunities for bends that work in the major. I did (and still do) find minor much easier to play improv on - and my attempts at major key on real blues stuff are awful. :wall: I am glad to hear you say I managed to sustain the improv OK - I did try this BT around 18 months ago, but couldn't find enough variations in what I could play on the guitar and had to break it up / create some variation with vocals. Guess I must still be learning new tricks. :fingerscrossed:
2WheelsOfBlues wrote:Is there a theorie that yoy use, or is it just coming up and play?
I can't really say there's much method to what I play. It's really just finding which scale or scales sound best with the BT and then playing it by ear - trying to hear melodies in my head and trying to let my brain tell my fingers what to play to get those notes. That's a process that's a lot less than 100% success rate!! With this BT a particular trick I found that I liked was that open G and open D strings at the right time were giving some really nice resonances - helped by the extra sustain from the compressor. A touch of a drone sort of effect - a bit like you might get from the Scottish pipes swirling in full flow. :cool:
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Very nice, once you add that major sound in there it gives it a southern rock, country style sound! I do like the note choices.....
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Thanks VB

Feel the flow, thats what HBL olways tell me, but then it stays so difficult.

Then again, practice makes beter playing :think: i gess...
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Awesome VB, You do this BT honor ! very well played and a great guitar sound to.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks folks - I'm glad you like the recording. :D

When the backing is as repetitive as this and has so few chords the note choices become a major priority - glad the note choices worked for you tytl - I think they make or break the improv on this BT.
2WheelsOfBlues wrote:Feel the flow, thats what HBL olways tell me, but then it stays so difficult.

Then again, practice makes beter playing :think: i gess...
"Feel the flow" is great advice - it's ALWAYS a good idea to pay attention to advice from HBL. Sometimes the notes do just flow and it's a bit like you, the guitar, the gear and the BT all become one sort of life form. I wish it would happen more often, but I'm very happy it does sometimes happen. And yes ... it does happen more often the more I practice and play. Like Lee Trevino said (and said by Arnold Palmer and Gary Player and many other golfers) to the interviewer who asked him about his good luck in chipping in to the hole from off the green so often in a tournament - "the more I practice the luckier I get".
HalfBlindLefty wrote:and a great guitar sound to.
I've finally managed to find a compression and overdrive pedal that work well together for me and I'm liking the sounds from them. Though they're sensitive to which guitar I'm using and I've only got that sound working right with the PRS so far - but I'm most often playing that guitar just now.
alaskabluesguy

Post by alaskabluesguy »

Really nice VB! I always sound like I'm trying out for the Allman Bros. when I play blues/major!! You did a nice job on this, be proud!! :beer: :clap: :thumbsup: