Fishin' Blues; an attempt at playing and singing.

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
Blindboy

Fishin' Blues; an attempt at playing and singing.

Post by Blindboy »

Right, I'm trying to work on playing and singing at the same time, and it is fiendishly difficult. :wall:
Anyway, here is an attempt at an acoustic bottleneck thing on my National clone, recorded through my cassette 4-track (the only way I could record singing and playing at the same time), and a couple of cheap Radio Shack mics, thus the poor sound quality. I don't know about the rest of you on this site, but I find playing and singing very intimidating, and that when I try, not only is it hard to sing on key, remember lyrics, and play, but my playing suffers badly in comparison to playing without singing. :motz: I guess that a LOT of practice is in order. :roll:
Anyway, here is my version of a song that I have loved since I was about seven years old, and only recently tried to make my own. :big_smile:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9243831
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Re: Fishin' Blues; an attempt at playing and singing.

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

I've heard far worse quality ( recording gear)
I do like the effect of your voice and the guitarplaying, your have a good voice and sing well.
Loved to have the voice more in front of the recording, but hey... it works well
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I like it Bb! :clap:

Your voice sounds fine and I don't think the recorded sound quality suffers too much for being on a 4-track cassette.

Everyone on this forum seems to be trying to find their voice just recently.

I know what you mean about playing and singing at the same time. Unless playing is just basic strumming I'm rapidly lost. So I either record the vocal first if there's a backing track or I have to play the guitar first while imagining I'm singing to tie in the rhythm of the guitar to what will be the vocal. Then on a separate take record the other part. I also find it simpler just having one input at a time into the recording process. ANYTHING to keep the recording process as simple as possible gets my vote. :wall:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Cracking track Bb ..............lovely lazy day feel to it
Your voice is just spot on for this kind of old time blues song .....helped no end by your very own ( authentic and very distinctive) .. american accent ?? .

Wouldn't sound the same with an english accent !! ........................I agree with HBL .. vocals could be more prominant in the mix, but its no biggy.

Frankly the trusty old 4 track has not done you badly ......I don't note any quality issues..simple old tecnologhy ....press a button and off you go. .great !!
Great slide resonator .......gives a great feel to the song
Simple song , simple accompnaiment
you nailed it ! .....thanks
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

Blind Boy - Really good job! Your recording gear didn't let you down on this one. I thought it sounded really good. :clap: :clap:

So the vocals messed up your playing, huh? Well, I wish I could play that well under any circumstances.

One of my favorite songs. I love Taj Mahal's version. And Kenny Sultan has a great finger picking version on YouTube.

Strummer - "authentic and distinctive...accent"? Really? BB sounds perfectly normal to me. Actually, he's got less twang and drawl than most of the folks that live around me. Of course, I'm in south central Texas so I may not be the best one to comment. :whistle: :wink: :lol:
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Mojo Jim

Of course its 'normal' to you MJ :D .....you hear accents like this every day ..over here .we don't !!!

Look I'm from Hertforshire in England ( Home Counties sort of voice ..perhaps a bit BBC !! .. it is what it is and its pretty normal to me !! :lol: although I would doubt my wife would agree with the word normal' and me being in the same sentence !! ) ...........so pretty much any American accent is gonna sound Authentic ..

I just feel that Bb's really suits this song well ........and of course lucky old him :thumbsup: ...its his natural accent !
I just love a good old American accent ..especially ones from the southern parts .............and that fab distictive drawl.........now twang and drawl !! that sounds like Texas & Alabama to me ???
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Thanks, y'all. :shy: I am really ambivilant about this whole singing thing, and your comments are very encouraging. I will probably sing a couple at our open mic tonight. :yikes:
HalfBlindLefty wrote: Loved to have the voice more in front of the recording, but hey... it works well
You should have heard the first upload. I was way behind the guitar and my wife told me I needed to bring the vocal out front more. (the first time she ever said much positive about my singing :lol: )
VikingBlues wrote:
I know what you mean about playing and singing at the same time. Unless playing is just basic strumming I'm rapidly lost. So I either record the vocal first if there's a backing track or I have to play the guitar first while imagining I'm singing to tie in the rhythm of the guitar to what will be the vocal. Then on a separate take record the other part. I also find it simpler just having one input at a time into the recording process. ANYTHING to keep the recording process as simple as possible gets my vote. :wall:
Hard as it is to play and sing, I am REALLY uncomfortable without my guitar to hide behind. I don't think I could record in seperate takes. Also, the whole point of my learning to sing is to do it on stage. That way I get to play the songs that I want to do instead of ones that someone else wants. (not always songs I like to play :roll: )
Yeah, Strummer, that's my accent. Texas filtered through Oklahoma and toned down by fifteen years in New Mexico. :big_smile:
Thanks MojoJim. Yeah, I love Taj's version of this tune. I still remember when my dad brought "Giant Step/'De Old Folks at Home" home in 1970. I have worn out several copies of that album. :thumbsup:
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

:beer: OK BB... I'm saving that one. Since I live on a lake and like to fish in the p.m. it's going to be on my ipod, plugged up to my ear drums every time I'm standing on the bank.... great tune!!!
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
Bluez2move

Post by Bluez2move »

That's sounding good man,
and I dig the song also :cool:

Nice job on both :thumbsup:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Thanks B2M, appreciate it.
Golfxzq, I'm glad you like it enough to save it. You are lucky to live on a lake. :thumbsup: