Waiting for Developments - Improv PLUS Collab

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Waiting for Developments - Improv PLUS Collab

Post by VikingBlues »

I was having some modal fun :big_smile: and wondered if anyone would care to do a collab - might make it more interesting than me noodling through the whole thing myself.

It's just 4 sections long - I've done an improv on the whole piece and also posted up an edited version where I just have the opening and closing sections of my improv. I'd be fascinated if any of you want to do an alternative version with your filling in the middle half of sections 2 and 3 - I'd love to hear some different takes on it.

It's a nice moody BT to play around with. :thumbsup: It's a paid one by David Wallimann (called 'Lydian Melodic Development'), so I can't post it up as a BT with nothing added, but I can with my part on it for a collab. I've used the PRS SE for both the lead (panned right) and just a tad of rhythm work (panned left).

Waiting for Developments for Collab : download/file.php?id=1539

VB only : Waiting for Developments : download/file.php?id=1538

If anyone wants to know the structure I think it's:-
Dm F/C Dm Dm
Dm F/C Dm Dm
E D E D
E D E D (D#11)

The first two lines of four chords each should work with D Dorian (D minor pentatonic + E and B)
The last two lines of four chords each should work with D Lydian (D major pentatonic + C# and G#)
Attachments

Waiting for Developments for Collab
Waiting for Developments for Collab.mp3 - (4.29 MiB)

VB : Waiting for Developments
Waiting for Developments.mp3 - (4.29 MiB)

An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
StratLover2

Re: Waiting for Developments - Improv PLUS Collab

Post by StratLover2 »

Hi VB! You are right indeed, a very cool and moody track! Different then I have played before! I had fun playing around with the Dorian and Lydian modes, the former I use a lot, the latter, I use, but I haven't really used the G# much when playing in that mode... Anyways, I recorded my playing over the backing track on the iPhone, it is right after your first solo, through the Dm Dorian section, then the two lines of Lydian, then I think it is over, for your editing info, in case you want to edit it in.

StratLover2

download/file.php?id=1540
Attachments

Waiting for Developments SL2
Waiting for Developments Strat Lover 2.mp3 - (690.14 KiB)

VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

StratLover2 wrote:Hi VB! You are right indeed, a very cool and moody track! Different then I have played before! I had fun playing around with the Dorian and Lydian modes, the former I use a lot, the latter, I use, but I haven't really used the G# much when playing in that mode... Anyways, I recorded my playing over the backing track on the iPhone, it is right after your first solo, through the Dm Dorian section, then the two lines of Lydian, then I think it is over, for your editing info, in case you want to edit it in.
I've had a go at editing it in - though I could maybe do it better with more time. Don't think I've got the balance quite right yet.

Nice job you made :thumbsup: - it's such a different tone to mine, but I can hear links between your phrasing / note choices and mine - so I think they sit well together despite the very different sounds.

VB + SL2 : download/file.php?id=1542
Attachments

Waiting for Developments - VB + StratLover2
Waiting for Developments for Collab VB SL2.mp3 - (4.29 MiB)

StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

Thanks!

Personally, I think that the different tones make it sound so cool! We might be playing over the same BT, same scales (Lydian/Dorian) but our choices of notes, the inflections, the attack of the pick, etc, makes them sound similar, but yet so drastically different, so I can easily tell for the first "That's VB's distinctive sound." Then for mine, somebody will probably be able to tell that it is not VB, yet it is somebody else!

I have really enjoyed all the collabs I've played on with everybody here on 12bar, given me a chance to learn and grow in my musicianship. Finally finding a use for that music theory that I learned four-five years ago when I started playing. I am so glad that my guitar teacher forced me to learn the notes on the first five frets of all six strings then worked down from there!

StratLover2
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Cool track VB. If there is some space left i would like to give it a try. Witch space is left in this track?
grtz
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Good job guys, it sounds great!
I like the difference between the two first parts.
Here is my try, a Sunday afternoon noodling, don't ask me what mode it is :shy:
First is the Tele with P90 neck, then the Strat.

download/file.php?id=1546
Attachments

Sunday noodling
Developments for Collab_vc02.mp3 - (4.29 MiB)

Jan 15th 2007
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Hey that sounds good all around on all of the tracks takes. Yes, very distinct now between VB, Stratlover, and Vancouveris. Vanc, you should add that first bit of the solo to the collab......it would sound nice!!!!!!
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

tytlblues wrote:Hey that sounds good all around on all of the tracks takes. Yes, very distinct now between VB, Stratlover, and Vancouveris. Vanc, you should add that first bit of the solo to the collab......it would sound nice!!!!!!
Thanks TB :D

Here is the mix of the three of us:
download/file.php?id=1547
Attachments

VB, SL2 & VC
Waiting for Developments for Collab VB SL2 VC.mp3 - (4.29 MiB)

Jan 15th 2007
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Wow, what an incredibly moody track! It's a gloomy rainy day here in south Texa, and the music just fits.......me likes. I am sure VB will approve. :dance:
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

tytlblues wrote:Wow, what an incredibly moody track! It's a gloomy rainy day here in south Texa, and the music just fits.......me likes. I am sure VB will approve. :dance:
Moody sums it up well. And dead right tytl - VB does approve - big time. :clap:
vancouveris wrote:Here is the mix of the three of us:
Thanks for doing that mix VC - I was about to look to do that and then I read on in the posts to find you'd saved me the trouble! :thumbsup:

Liked what you played a lot too VC - whatever modes you were playing it fits in with the BT just right - your ears were certainly working well - nice to hear the P90 tele as well as the more traditional VC strat. :clap:
......................................................................................
Distinctive takes by the three of us - but I think they gel together well. Thanks for joining in guys. :thumbsup: :banana:
ElMano wrote:Cool track VB. If there is some space left i would like to give it a try. Witch space is left in this track?
With just the two free slots and a completed trio so far there's a choice I guess:-
You could either do an improv (1) over both the middle slots for a joint collab with just me, or (2) if you want to just do the first of those two empty middle slots and post up your individual guitar track as well as your recording with the BT I can try and extend the BT to bring in an additional segement to the completed trio just done. :icon_whoknows:
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

You are very welcome, VB!I enjoy it! It is a wonder that now through the internet, three musicians from three different countries can collaborate and produce a piece like this! What a wonder the internet is!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Congrats - a wonderful "signature" collab! :chicken: