Semi Hollow Affair (A Minor Affair BT)

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
StratLover2

Semi Hollow Affair (A Minor Affair BT)

Post by StratLover2 »

Hi all!

I see that this BT by Pete Anderson is very well known in these parts, due to a superb version being played by VB among the others I have seen, so I figured here was my time to put my spin on the BT.

I used instead of Layla, the AS73 (Eliza, I've named her), on this one, using my same Line 6 POD, with my same trusty mic... (My iPhone!), and it has a bit of a different feel for it. I tried to work even more on pacing myself and not running all over the fretboard all the time! That is the hardest part for me right now, I feel, to develop the tension by pacing myself until I feel the time is right to unleash the fury!

StratLover2

download/file.php?id=1426
Attachments

Semi-Hollow Affair
Semi-Hollow Affair.mp3 - (1.92 MiB)

tytlblues

Re: Semi Hollow Affair (A Minor Affair BT)

Post by tytlblues »

Sounds good, seems like you have a nice tone going there. I think you paced yourself quite well, and some nice riffs and phrases. Sounded like a mix of the blues scale and dorian........very tasty. :high5:
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

Thanks!

I am finding that mixing different scales together alleviates the boring factor, because I find that if I play too much in one scale, it quickly sounds repetitive, but if I mix the scales, (Be it dorian/blues, major/minor, etc.), it makes it a lot more exciting. I liked adding the Dorian notes, as it really accentuated the jazz-like changes in the BT.

StratLover2
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Heres a jazzier version of this BT I did a while ago, for what it is worth.....

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1063
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

I like your take on the BT! I love how everybody has a different vision on the same backing track! That is what I love about the blues and guitar in general, how one can express themselves in a unique fashion over the same chords/rhythm.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

You've certainly given this BT a more upbeat feel than I did (perhaps you're more of an optimist than this old bean counter! :D ). I like what you're doing with these backing tracks - you are using the skills and techniques in a musical way that is sympathetic to the BT musicians playing. :clap:
StratLover2 wrote:I like your take on the BT! I love how everybody has a different vision on the same backing track! That is what I love about the blues and guitar in general, how one can express themselves in a unique fashion over the same chords/rhythm.
Agreed - your version, tytl's version and the VB version couldn't be much more varied if they tried. In much the same way I missed the idea of upbeat for this piece as you have used, I totally missed the possibilty of jazzy in the way that tytl played it.
StratLover2 wrote:I liked adding the Dorian notes, as it really accentuated the jazz-like changes in the BT.
... and there's the clue to my lack of jazzy perhaps. I have always thought of this BT in terms of Aeolian scale. Shows just how many ways there are to play just a few notes! Though jazzy IS a lot to do with timing and rhthm of phrases too - something that a proper knowledge of jazz guitar will help with I imagine. :shy:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

VB,

I appreciate your version also, I could also see now how it could be mellow. This is the wonder of musicianship, once you get beyond the theory and into feel, it is amazing how many versions can be made off of one song, just from a different musical viewpoint if you will.

I was trying to pretend that the BT musicians were a live band, and I tried to play as if in a live manner, like when I play on the street corners with my guitar teacher, how I react to his backing. So I think I succeeded a bit!

When I looked at your version of this piece and tytl's version, I could see where I could have been more mellower/jazzier, but I decided I like my version for what it is, a unique piece and I appreciate your versions for what they are, art.

I've done some Aeolian stuff in the past, but it was more an inadvertent use of adding a half note to the Phrygian mode, which I was addicted to for a while, for it's Asian/Latin mysterious sound, but I am more of a Dorian/Myxoldian type now. I think that as I listen to more solos of various artists, my ears and scale tastes are evolving...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

StratLover2 wrote:I was trying to pretend that the BT musicians were a live band, and I tried to play as if in a live manner, like when I play on the street corners with my guitar teacher, how I react to his backing. So I think I succeeded a bit!
You did indeed! That's the great thing about the really good BTs - it does then feel like you're playing with other real musicians and you can interact with what they play. :big_smile:

I guess there is the drawback that they can't interact with what you do, but not being a "leader" by nature I'm OK with that. At least you don't end up having arguments and falling out with musicians on a backing track. :wall:
StratLover2 wrote:When I looked at your version of this piece and tytl's version, I could see where I could have been more mellower/jazzier, but I decided I like my version for what it is, a unique piece and I appreciate your versions for what they are, art.
I like to hear all the different versions - apart from the listening enjoyment (I get more pleasure from listening to all you guys here than buying commercial CDs) it's also educational by letting you hear what you might have tried, and it's also useful for keeping up the motivation to keep learning.
StratLover2 wrote:I've done some Aeolian stuff in the past, but it was more an inadvertent use of adding a half note to the Phrygian mode, which I was addicted to for a while, for it's Asian/Latin mysterious sound, but I am more of a Dorian/Myxoldian type now. I think that as I listen to more solos of various artists, my ears and scale tastes are evolving...
Funny thing with modes really - they're only slightly different with just the odd couple of notes, but some just seem to be so much more natural to play at first, and different players will have different modes for that preference.

When I was (finally after many years) getting to grips with how the notes in modes were placed and worked (and wishing I'd been taught such a simple way of doing this before) it was the Aeolian that fell into place so easily when I started on the minor modes. It just seemed my fingers found the right note choices much more easily. :D so I've always a tendency to head to Aeolian if I have the option - the major scale and major modes took longer to click and even now I find more major key BTs don't click with me than minor key ones. :sad:

BTW - I'm with you on the exotic sounds you can get with the Phrygian - good for mood stuff.
Pena

Post by Pena »

Hello :wave: all
And also :welcome: to all new blueslovers that I haven't greet b4.
I've been listening your great playing, and decided to do something on some other BT than yours.
So that I would not ruin the atmosphere you created :away:
Anyway, I made an attempt of A Minor Affair, and then I saw StratLovers post :shy: , didn't check the post b4 starting my 12 hrs session for making a 3.20 mins result. :big_smile: :oldie:
That's why I didn't have the strength to start a new one, hope you don't mind StratLover2 :whistle
download/file.php?id=1441
Attachments

a_minor_affair-PM.mp3 - (3.82 MiB)

"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Nice, very nice, both...... :handshake:

Like youre playing, great note and sound. :thumbsup:

Job very well done :clap:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Pena wrote:Anyway, I made an attempt of A Minor Affair, and then I saw StratLovers post :shy: , didn't check the post b4 starting my 12 hrs session for making a 3.20 mins result. :big_smile: :oldie:
Another good variation - nicely played Pena and quite a different style to it than the ones already done. :clap:

Amazing how many variations can be found from such a few notes on a basic chord structure.
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

I enjoyed both versions. I think it's very interesting to hear different takes on the same backing track. :clap: :clap:

Well, I'll have to jump in here as well. I was going to remain quiet but my ego needs outweighed my sense of discretion. :shy: :whistle:

I'd like to add another version over the same backing track. :oldie:

My first post to the forum was played over "A Minor Affair". In fact, StratLover, you referenced it when you made your first post of "A Very Dressage Affair".

Here's the topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25&p=196&hilit=very+minor#p196

And here's a repost of the song. (Isn't it great when you get to post but not do any work? :wink: :whistle: )

download/file.php?id=1442

VB, maybe you could repost yours as well? It was the inspiration for what I did. :oldie:

If there are any other versions lurking out there it would be interesting to get the entire collection posted. :clap:
Attachments

A Very Minor Affair.mp3 - (2.33 MiB)

VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

MojoJim wrote:And here's a repost of the song. (Isn't it great when you get to post but not do any work? :wink: :whistle: )

download/file.php?id=1442

VB, maybe you could repost yours as well? It was the inspiration for what I did. :oldie:

If there are any other versions lurking out there it would be interesting to get the entire collection posted. :clap:
Wow - a year and a half ago you did this - and it was a fine first post to the blues room and still holds up well now! :clap:

In the interests of completeness and at your request here's my old thing from February 2010 (so long ago it's on the old forum!).
This is the thread - I see it dates back to when I was still failing to get the Vista laptop to work doing recordings:-
http://12bar.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2916
And the repost of the recording:-
download/file.php?id=1444
Attachments

A Minor Affair - VB - Feb 2010!
A Minor Affair.mp3 - (3.04 MiB)

StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

Pena,

I certainly do not mind! I love hearing all of the versions people have played over the "A Minor Affair" BT. It is always interesting to hear somebody else's take on the same BT.

StratLover 2
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Great topic! I love hearing all the different takes on a tune. Makes me wish that I had recorded one to this BT. :tears:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"