Which version???

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
Blindboy

Which version???

Post by Blindboy »

I have been invited to send a couple of songs into an Albuquerque radio station Blues show, and think one of our Trainwreck Stormy Mondays would be fairly representative. The only question, is, which one? These are the recordings from last week, and a couple of weeks ago. (The night I found the guy wadded up in his inverted SUV.) The both have pretty different moods. This illustrates how I am constitutionally unable to play anything the same way twice. :roll:
So, which one do y'all think I should submit?
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11148928
10/10/11, or...
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11111497
9/26/11
I am playing the same rig in both songs, FrankenStrat, through Tweed 4/10.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Re: Which version???

Post by VikingBlues »

Congrats on the radio station enquiry! :clap: :clap:

Wow - you do like to ask an awkward question!! :yikes:

So:-
the 10/10/11 version - more reflective - cleaner tone on the guitar - bass higher in the mix - more of a jazzy feel.
the 9/26/11 version - more in yer face - dirtier tone on the guitar, and more of a 'showcase' element to it - less airiness in the mix - generally higher energy level.

If it was for my own collection - well I'd want both, but I suspect I'd listen to the 10/10/11 version .... of course I am very aware my tastes run very much out of synch with popular opinion. Cleaner tones and reflective aren't things you'll hear people playing when testing guitars in shops! Also in my current mindset I suspect I'm veering to the more melancholy side in song choices.

If you're talking about making an 'impact' on a radio show I'm suspecting the 9/26/11 version might be the best bet as it'll grab listeners attention easier. Partly depends on the sort of stuff the station usually plays and the sort of audience demographic they have. Difficult one. :icon_whoknows:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Hard to decide, first thought was 10/10/11 (clear, crispy), but then again after 5 min the other one is the winner (higher energy level). So overall I'd go with 9/26.
Again - there's no wrong choice IHMO. :clap:
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

Whoa!
Maybe we should cut a version especially for this opportunity? Something more "studio quality" in nature. We have the technology and the space to do it.

Version 9/26 is definitely the better of the two versions, but it has a few rough spots that need to be smoothed out.

I don't know. It's a good opportunity, and we need to put our best foot forward.

Just my two centavos worth.
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Both Good offerings Bb , so time well spent ! What a fab opportunity to showcase your wares and extend into a wider audience !!

You'll be doing weddings and Bat Mitzvah's before you know it Buddy s
As VB observes its a tough call

these are two excellent versions of this great song .and bearing in mind its all Live ....All Respect.... Men of Trainwreck!!

I like the 10/10 /11 version a lot some great guitar work here, great intro .. Guitar more cutting and trebly than the other, but the 2nd guitar is way back in the mix even for the solo and the vocals are more clipped, tentative sounding and perhaps a little fast.

The 9/26/11 1st 2/3 bars take a while to get going .but then the raunchier and Fat guitar intro is Ace and so too the solo
Vocals are way more confident, energetic and fitting to the song
I Love the Harmonica on this ........but there are a couple of stray notes which don't seem to quite get there and threfore detract from it

IF .you have a chance to do a special "Radio Edit" that really shows off the Band and this song ...I'd do that :thumbsup:

If you cant I think 10/10 is slightly more polished as it stands at the moment ........and better as a showcase number

But I prefer 9/26/ 11 as a piece of music !!

whaever you end up with - do post the Radio Edit Please !
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

It is a difficult choice between two good life recordings. The first version is my personal favorite because i love the intro and the way you play (in Holland we called it small playing in the way the people had to listen and pay attention) I don't know how to say it in proper English. But you need it for radio purpose and for that reason i think you better take the last version. More dynamic and powerfull.
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

but the 2nd guitar is way back in the mix even for the solo
That's my main problem with this version. Our bass player/recording wiz,Mike/PoppaGString, often complains that he has trouble bringing me foreword in the mix. I always think I am louder on stage than I actually am and worry about stepping on the other instruments parts. It's something I need to work on.
I Love the Harmonica on this ........but there are a couple of stray notes which don't seem to quite get there and threfore detract from it
That is my main problem with this version, also.
IF .you have a chance to do a special "Radio Edit" that really shows off the Band and this song ...I'd do that :thumbsup:
My thoughts, too. And feel free to chop as much of me out as you need to.
That boy ain't right...,

Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Oh No !! :yikes:

Please don't Chop Deacon Blue !! :tears:

Just boost him up a bit !! :lefty: :amp:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

:lol: :lol: Let's start an action Keep Decon on the track :high5: :dance: :dance: :music2:
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

ElMano wrote::lol: :lol: Let's start an action Keep Decon on the track :high5: :dance: :dance: :music2:
My wife(*SWMBO :pray: ) already does a good job of that. :whistle:

SWMBO=She Who Must be Obeyed
That boy ain't right...,

12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Sounds familiar... :think:

:big_smile:
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

I like the 2e more, it has more body, more power, moreattraction, more stormy mondays feeling....

Realy don't how to say.... :icon_whoknows:

But i like the 2e more..... :D
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

both are good.
I go for 9/26. That's the best one.
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

Wow!! This is a great opportunity and I suggest you polish up a special version for it (just my 2 cents worth). Keep in mind that most radio listeners are double-tasking. They are busy doing something else while the radio is playing your music. You need to catch their attention because they are not a captive audience. Kinda like the mule and the attention-getting 2X4" club! So I'd go with the second version if anything. But you really ought to put a dedicated piece together and give it to them with BOTH barrels!

Once they're sitting down at the tavern with full drinks and a meal ordered they'll appreciate version 1!

GOOD LUCK!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Mhhh, send them both and let them choose :) I tend to go for the jazzier version myself :)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Thanks for all the listens and input, fellers. :D
I still need to discuss this with the band... Maybe we can try a more "polished" live recording... (I want to keep it "live", personally) We need to figure out what other tunes to submit. Maybe do a version of one of Jim's originals, and/or one of my original instrumentals...
Will keep y'all posted. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"