Major Key Improv - could be helped by collab?

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Major Key Improv - could be helped by collab?

Post by VikingBlues »

:wave: Hi guys. I was leafing through BTs and looking for major key ones - I still need to catch up on major v minor key improvs and need to keep trying to get my act together on the major stuff.

I like the tone / sound / mood of what I've done (though not so keen on the occasional buzzing) and I'm not convinced that the melodoc ideas are varied or strong enough to carry it off. :sad: It's maybe veering towards lift or background music. I did try a version with midi sax and flute added - but only cheese has more cheese! :whistle:

If anyone fancies the idea of my just doing a part of it and getting a collab going for some variety of ideas please let me know and I'll post up a version for that - I think that could maybe rescue something from the wreckage. :icon_whoknows:

I also have a horrible feeling I have heard something very similar before and I'll need to wait in suspense to see if HBL or anyone else points out that I've 'borrowed' their ideas and tunes (again)! :shy:

So - it's a BT from Nick Kellie, an instructor at JamPlay - it's in C# Major. It's a fairly short chord progresion that repeats a lot. I tried to get variety by having two guitars. There's the VSA590 panned right which takes the lead role at the beginning. The 'Strat', panned left, comes in quiet and builds with a bit of grit coming in near the half way point, and then goes back into the shadows at the end to leave the VSA590 to do the closing notes.

download/file.php?id=1333
Attachments

We Can Only Dream - VB Improv on C# BT Nick Kellie
We Can Only Dream VS.mp3 - (3.37 MiB)

An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Re: Major Key Improv - could be helped by collab?

Post by Blindboy »

I like what you have done here. Major keys are one of my (forest of) weak points... I don't know if I can do this justice, but I'd like to try. If you post a collab version, I will see if I can come up with something, and send it to you for approval. :D
May take a bit of time... My access to the computer that I can do music on is a tad limited. :roll: Need to move on getting the software to make the Line6 compatible with my new (old)) Mac. (if it is even possible)
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

To be honest - I like your playing much more than the strange backing track, which sounds somehow weird to my ears... :icon_whoknows:
Don't know if I'm able to play to it, but I'll give it a try.
(The "out to hardware" knob on my gearbox is still not working...)
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:I like what you have done here. Major keys are one of my (forest of) weak points... I don't know if I can do this justice, but I'd like to try. If you post a collab version, I will see if I can come up with something, and send it to you for approval. :D
12bar wrote:To be honest - I like your playing much more than the strange backing track, which sounds somehow weird to my ears... :icon_whoknows:
Don't know if I'm able to play to it, but I'll give it a try.
Thanks guys - for listening and for offering to join in - and I'm glad you see something decent in what I've done. :D

I hadn't really thought much about the BT - I started playing over it as soon as I started it up, so I was busy trying to make my notes sound OK, play the notes in a way that suited a major key, and just letting the BT wash over me.

I'll post up a collab geared version but it may be the weekend before I can do that - taking next week off so I'm bringing work home in the evenings this week so I can get as much done as possible before close of play on Friday. :sad:
Blindboy wrote:May take a bit of time... My access to the computer that I can do music on is a tad limited. :roll: Need to move on getting the software to make the Line6 compatible with my new (old)) Mac. (if it is even possible)
12bar wrote:(The "out to hardware" knob on my gearbox is still not working...)
The struggles with computers!! - I'm worried about trying anything new on mine for fear it'll mess up what I (eventually) managed to get to work resonably well. :wall:

No problem with time either - I'm really interested to hear what others can do with this :thumbsup: - you know how it is - once you have your initial ideas rattling in your head and recorded it's then very difficult to then do another improv on the same BT in a different way.
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Hey VB, to me the BT is a very slow version of the hit "Stand By Me", by Ben E. King......not sure if you are familiar with that song or not. 12bar is right, somehow the BT seems a bit, well ......awkward. :sad:

Your playing though has a nice Melody line developing, and I think you have potential on this. I love when you and HBl combine more than one guitar part, really gives some good depth to the sound! :dance:

cheers. TB
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks TB. :D

Interesting that you too find the BT strange - I would post it up on it's own but as it's a teaching BT from a paid site it would be a problem in a way that a collab starter recording with some of my stuff recorded over it shouldn't be. There'll be enough of a gap where I haven't played on the collab version that you'll be able to hear just the original though. It could just be that what I'm playing doesn't quite tie in properly with the BT and that's causing the strangeness - if so it would be useful (and part of the learning process) to maybe find out why.

You're maybe right on the 'Stand By Me' - I'll give it another listen - it's a while since I've heard it. I keep having a vague feeling of something 'HBL' floating about in the mix somewhere when I listen to it now. :icon_whoknows:
tytlblues wrote:I love when you and HBl combine more than one guitar part, really gives some good depth to the sound! :dance:
HBL clued me up on this with only my second posting to 12bar close to two years ago. But ... it's not been until my last two postings with two recorded guitar parts that I've felt i've even started to play the two parts in a way that is even vaguely convincing. It's so difficult to get enough of a difference between the two parts tone and phrasing and style.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

I like the way you handle this one, nope I'm not gonna tell you you have been copying anything I know.
I'm willing to collab on this one with you. Just upload a collab version.

My advise is to play through the song a couple of times till you are really familiar with it, then record your collab part.
It's a trange BT indeed, but so am I (G)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Manged to get the major work out of the way today so I've got none to do this weekend - hopefully I'll post up a collab starter recording by the end of the weekend.
HalfBlindLefty wrote:I like the way you handle this one, nope I'm not gonna tell you you have been copying anything I know.
I'm willing to collab on this one with you. Just upload a collab version.
Thank you - and glad to have you on board - and also glad i've not been copying! :big_smile: :thumbsup:
HalfBlindLefty wrote:It's a trange BT indeed, but so am I (G)
:lol:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

VikingBlues wrote:Manged to get the major work out of the way today...
VikingBlues

Re: Major Key Improv - COLLAB TIME!

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote:
VikingBlues wrote:Manged to get the major work out of the way today...
You know - I didn't spot that I'd done that at all!! :lol:
...............................................................................................

We have the following interested parties:-
Blindboy (given some time)
12bar (given some luck with computer wrestling)
HalfBlindLefty (hmm .. computer problems permitting?)

I've uploaded below the BT with my opening statement up to about 00:37. I included a two guitar part intro as I think it works that way. If others fancy doing two guitars then why not, but I just did it because I needed 2 to make me feel my segment sounded right. Maybe if people would rather do just one it might make sense for balance to have two again just on the final segment?

Collab with VB part only : download/file.php?id=1344

There are 12 runthroughs of the theme on the BT but I used the first 2 as I think we need at least two per player as 18 seconds is not enough to say enough or let the music breathe.

So we have 5 free segments:-
00:37 - 01:13
01:13 - 01:49
01:49 - 02:25
02:25 - 03:01
03:01 - 03:40

Only 3 volumteers so far ..... ANYONE ELSE FANCY A GO?

5 re-recordings might strain the sound quality. :icon_whoknows: So if it's not a problem maybe if each person wants to upload or give me a link for their own guitar track from 00:00 with an opening silence and up to when their segment finishes I can slot into my DAW and upload / link a fresh BT with new collabs for the next player to use.

I look forward to hearing thoughts / running order / more volunteers. :D
Attachments

Collab with VB part
We Can Only Dream Collab.mp3 - (3.37 MiB)

HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Sweet VB :)

Yes I have Major computer problems and currently am in the process of disk2Disk duplicating of my Acer's C and D disks.
Right now I'm using my BTO Vista laptop as replacement and the poor thing is scared a h@ll... :yikes: Almost 5 TB connected storage for now.
After I duplicated the disks I will either fight it out with Acer or the seller (store), A consumer in Europe has rights :dance:

I have some soldering to do to connect my stuff to my old trusty Dell so I can record again.

Meanwhile don't let me hold you up, If needed I will play a 2nd or seperate collab.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
weelie

Post by weelie »

i haven't listened to the track yet, but i'd willing to have a go. Hopefully i will have the time later this week.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Meanwhile don't let me hold you up, If needed I will play a 2nd or seperate collab.
Good luck with the mountain of work to get through to sort your computer situation and good luck with the fight too! :thumbsup:

No rush on this one anyway - there's a few issues floating about with the time everyone will need to do their parts so it'll just take as long as it takes.
weelie wrote:i haven't listened to the track yet, but i'd willing to have a go. Hopefully i will have the time later this week.
All contributions welcome - glad to have you on board if yoy can have a go. :D
..............................................................................................................................................

If anyone is about to have a stab at it if they can post up a note to this thread saying they're having a go then the segment they want to do can be reserved for them.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

OK, I have a free hour on Wednesday evening :dance: , so I'll take 00:37 - 01:13 . Hope I get the toneport volume adjusted... :wall:

It's collab time again! :banana:
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Hi Guys
I am interested to be in on this collab.
I take whatever part that is free.

Kalle
Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ system) steelstring Dreadnought
Yamaha RBX 270 bass guitar with Laney DB150 amp.
Yamaha RGX 320 electric guitar with Egnator Tweaker tube amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Due to the DDoS attack I was yesterday not able to download the track, so my part needs a bit more time.... :icon_whoknows:
weelie

Post by weelie »

hrhmm... I don't relly like my cut, but don't have time to iron it out:
http://www.box.net/shared/zgf9ogg3lq568m752tls

It has two guitars, haven't really done that kinda stuff, so I guess it gets too busy. Squier Tele and Epiphone Alleykat. Microcube on some setting, I don't know, didn't even check (played through a Zoom H4 hearing myself only acoustically when playing... and the two tracks were completely separate, didn't hear the first one when played the 2nd one)

I thought of tuning one guitar up one fret and the other down one fret, but only retuned the Tele in the end (played in C then), too lazy to do more tuning...

(This one's with silence and no backing track: http://www.box.net/shared/bcvnfvocdou0elpuivf3 (slot is the 1.13-) )

Anybody have some rules or pointers to multi-guitar layering? I am a big fan of JJ Cale, and sometimes I hear a lot of guitar tracks, that go together well, I was never able to do that...
Last edited by weelie on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I'm hoping I'll be able to get back on the 12bar site from home before too long as I'm one of those blocked for access. :wall: I am back at work today after a week off, so I can have a quick look in from there, but not able to listen to stuf. Not much time to look for that matter - just a quick skim.

From a quick glance at posts so far - we had:-

Blindboy
12bar
HalfBlindLefty
Weelie

Kalle asked to join in - you're very welcome Kalle

and that makes 5 - which is the number of free segments.

If you can each post up intentions of which segment you'll do then even if I can't get access you should be able to sort a running order out.

Ideally if I'm back on proper access to the site I'd be able to post up updates as the collab progresses with each part.

BTW - I've been missing being on here a lot. :mercy:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

VikingBlues wrote:BTW - I've been missing being on here a lot. :mercy:
Me too! :lol:

At least I managed to download the BT...
weelie

Post by weelie »

00:37 - 01:13 12Bar
01:13 - 01:49 Weelie
01:49 - 02:25
02:25 - 03:01
03:01 - 03:40

yet to be slotted are:
Blindboy
Kalle
HalfBlindLefty