Jazz Blues.........Sort of...

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
tytlblues

Jazz Blues.........Sort of...

Post by tytlblues »

This is from my period of indiscretion into Jazz. Sort of bluesy, but nothing like jazz to start learning about chords and "playing the changes". Lot of good theory, but just could not learn all the chords and arpeggios, and although jazz is a lot of fun.......just does not pull at the soul like
Last edited by tytlblues on Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
VikingBlues

Re: Jazz Blues.........Sort of...

Post by VikingBlues »

This fits right in with the sort of "Jazz" indiscretions I've been into recently. Nicely played! :thumbsup:

I started to look more into how real jazz players approach these sort of things, saw the mountain of theory, and all the knowledge required of chord structures, and thought "there's a strait-jacket I don't want to wear". So I agree - play these sort of things - but keep it "fun". I would be interested in hearing other tracks of this type that you might have.

Couple of my recent ones - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=976 and a "gipsy" jazz excursion viewtopic.php?f=6&t=967

I think you've captured more Jazz than I ever have - and you've certainly hit that jazz guitar tone :clap: - do you recall which guitar you found best for these sort of tones and did you go for a particular tweak on the tone controls / pup selection?

Avoiding all the theory though I think these sort of tracks are great fun to play around with - and I like trying to find melodic runs outside the usual pentatonics. To be honest I think "smooth" jazz is about as far as I can manage to take it, but even that challenges the lazy man inside my head that suggests the notes for my fingers (usually he has too easy a time of it). You've managed to take it much more into Jazz territory with those note runs you've done.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Thanks Viking, yes the jazz thing does have a lot going on theory wise. I played that piece on an Ibanez hollow body guitar, with .13 strings on it. Here is a link to a smooth jazz/blues song I did recently you may like. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10845892. Also played with the hollow body Ibanez.
I did enjoy you jazz track, very melodic and flows nice. You seem to have a real knack for your melodic playing!
Tytlblues

BB King
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

tytlblues wrote:I played that piece on an Ibanez hollow body guitar, with .13 strings on it. Here is a link to a smooth jazz/blues song I did recently you may like. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10845892. Also played with the hollow body Ibanez.
:clap: Fine playing on your GP Smooth Jazz recording - I like the melodies, note choices and tones - it all sounds very confident and assured.

The Ibanez really suits the "Jazz" style the way you play it.

13s - eek :yikes: I'm not sure I'd have the strength to press them down to the fretboard!
tytlblues wrote:I did enjoy you jazz track, very melodic and flows nice. You seem to have a real knack for your melodic playing!
Thank you for the encouragement - appreciated. I did get as far as briefly nosing round a jazz guitar forum when I started an interest in playing along with these sort of jazzy things, but it was swiftly apparent that the level of technical knowlege required was way out of my reach. :sad: So I bided my time, kept pretty quiet and then I sort of ... :away:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

the 13,s are not bad to play on. considering that you are not usually bending on jazz stuff like you would for blues.
also, a lot of jazz players use flat wound string, they are smooth and feel good under the finger. that combination on a hollowbody jazz box guitar helps give that mellow woody sound jazz guitarists are also chasing.
these tracks I shared should more appropriately be called smooth blues. I think they are more closely related to blues proggresions than jazz.

I cant cut and paste on my mobile device, but if you go to that soundclick page and find my main page, there is another smooth type track called "minor mood"

tytl

ps, the minor mood was recorded on the epi 335 with normal 10's
Tytlblues

BB King