Goin' Down South

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
rocknroll93

Goin' Down South

Post by rocknroll93 »

ok guys, long time no posting (not too much anyway) :P

anyway, my band recently got a demo together, recorded in a studio. the guy who did it runs all digital and I was a little apprehensive because of electric drums and the guitar sounding sterile... the song is called Goin' Down South. Basically about me mentally going to a place where all my music has come from. the song is a day in the life of a blues musician back in the delta.

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/9326974

Guitar/vocals - John Bacon (ME!!!)
Bass - Danny Nolan
Drums - Michael Dickson

Copyright John Bacon 2011 All Rights Reserved
"Playing the blues is like being black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed out on both counts, but I never noticed" - BB king
tytlblues

Re: Goin' Down South

Post by tytlblues »

Hey sounds good. I also listened to your Texas Flood, like your version.///////////I like that you did NOT do it like SRV. That song has been around a long time and, not that I dislike the SRV version, but there are many great renditions of that song......like yours.

good luck with the demo.....
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

Thank you! I appreciate it :)
"Playing the blues is like being black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed out on both counts, but I never noticed" - BB king
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Nice! :thumbsup: Got a kind of Mississippi hill country vibe. Hmmm, lotta slide poppin' up lately... :music2:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Oh - nice - like the changes in dynamics and the overall spirit of the song. Gotta love slide too! :clap:

Intrigued by tytlblues reply to you I checked out "Texas Flood" - I like your version too. The "Summertime Blues" was fun too - always played with a sense of fun by the Who (probably a bit too much overthe top with them!), but you've put your own stamp on it and it works in your version. No time at the moment to listen to the others but I'll be back to do that later - good quality recordings.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

I got the Mississippi hill country vibe as well. A little Junior Kimbrough meets blues-rock. I liked it a lot. It could really be a winner.
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

thanks guys!! that was the sort of vibe I was going for, I sort of wanted that raunchy blues sound, and I think I got it. I fingerpick in this one too, and that was a hurdle for me as I could finger pick, but all those quiet parts are played with my fingers, the loud with my pick.
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

Sounds really good Rocknroll!! Nice playin, nice vocals, good production, I really like it. Listened to a couple of the other tunes also, they all sound great! Like you say got a bit of that delta sound, very cool.
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

thanks man!