Anyone recognize this?

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
Blindboy

Anyone recognize this?

Post by Blindboy »

Frustration sets in... Been tweaking the neck on my Strat (sat in a hot car for days during our fire drama), inherited a new dog who is an escape artist, doing fence repair (Bison is strong enough to chew through our fence), I sliced open my ring finger on the fretting hand. Been trying to play with a BT (VB's "Open G in B flat"), but halfway through I start bleeding on the fretboard and getting clumsy. :wall:
So... I laid this down from memory (haven't played it in years, and it shows), and wondered if I did it well enough for anyone to recognize it. Probably gotta be old... :roll:
download/file.php?id=1153
Attachments

vjb.mp3 - (1.26 MiB)

"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
Strummer07

Re: Anyone recognize this?

Post by Strummer07 »

Bummer about the finger Blindboy .....its sure all go over there with you at the moment !!
From fires to bleeding fingers ......sounds like a song emerging too ..."Got me Blood on the fretboard!" ... or you could go all ballard-y and go " My Bleeding Heart"

Love the tune and if that is unrehearsed and just a memory thing ......just shows how good memory can be ! ( Yours anyway !.... Now why and what was I posting again ??)

Ive had a few plays and I can't say I recognise it directly .and I am moderetely "old" :oldie: but it just says Hendrix to me , tone , way the notes fit together in flurries and the staccato resonating chords .. all very Hendrix ! ...But I can't place it as a number ..I played "Remember" and had your guitar playing alongside it and it kinda fits style wise ........anyway .. That is my sixpennyworth !!

and I wish I could play a bit like that .. ( with or without bleeding fingers!!) its a cool piece. Would like to hear the whole song !!
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Tastefully played - liked it - very moody. :thumbsup:

Not a clue what it is (I might be old enough but I'm too ignorant of a lot of very influential players and songs :shy: ) but I would agree with Strummer that it has a Henrixy sort of edge to it.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Good call, guys...
It is a Hendrix instrumental piece called "Villanova Junction Blues" from Woodstock. The film closes with this in the background, but you can find the whole thing on bootlegs. It is probably my favorite Hendrix tune.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Well whatdyaknow ....we almost got it !! :D

Firstly well played you .....Anyone who can emulate "The Man" ...is OK in my book!!

I think you should stick with it and give us the whole number Bb ...........would it be something the Trainwreck Blues Band could Collab on ??
Before you know where you are ..you'll have "Purple Haze " on your playlist !!

Its not a song I am familiar with .....but I'll see if I can find it on line .... You learn something every day !!
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Found it on-line (very little can't be found these days!).

5DpmTQoUNdw

Genuinely I think I prefer Blindboys version - I think it has a stronger emotional content and is more soulful. :thumbsup:
I do hope that's not to heretical - I'll go into hiding now. :away:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

That's the one, VB. I'm flattered that you like my ham-fisted version better. :shy: I am also flattered that y'all recognized the artist I was trying to emulate without knowing the song. I don't want to sound like Hendrix, but I did want to get kind of the flavor of his playing.
Strummer, I may run this tune past the band... we have kind of a lot of slow instrumental blues in "A" kind of things, though. :roll: Gotta see if I can work it up better...
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

Blindboy - I agree with the other folks. :handshake:

I got Hendrix right away. I didn't know the song but I could clearly hear Jimi's chords and phrasing in your playing. :oldie:

I've listened to the original now through VB's posting of the YouTube clip and I like your take better. :clap:

Super job - under severe conditions. :thumbsup:
Bluez2move

Post by Bluez2move »

That'd be Villanova Junction from Woodstock :big_smile:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Fantastic :pray: - has a lot of Little Wing also in it. I'll never be able to play this just from memory...