Strait Jacket

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Strait Jacket

Post by VikingBlues »

Mid way through a week of trying to catch up at work from a fortnights holiday and feeling totally stressed I found release in the guitar. I was NOT feeling relaxed at all when I started playing - I think the music just washed over me and soothed and healed the stress. :cool:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10836906

Improv on E Aeolian Backing track ("Strait Dire") by David Wallimann from the JamPlay backing tracks collection.

Strat (I probably don't need to identify it as it's the most Strat sounding I've got yet) with middle/neck pup lead, plus Strat rhythm part. Through the Vox Tonelab LE (my Strat and Tonelab seem to get on very well). The backing track is supposed to be suitable for Knopfler inspired licks but to be honest I can't play like him, so this is me just playing as the mood took me. I think I've hooked in to the tempo and swing of the piece better than usual - though there's absolutely nothing new in my melodies. :roll:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
tytlblues

Re: Strait Jacket

Post by tytlblues »

Nice track Viking. Very nice tone i might add. Nice relaxing melody line, and smooth playing.
In my humble opinion , the lead line could be mixed a bit louder against the backing track.
great job though.

tytlblues
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Sounds good, VB. Excellent tone and sweet playing.
I can sympathize with stress levels after time off from work. I missed over a week due to the fire (uncompensated :wall: ), and had a hard time getting back into the swing of things. Music is a very good stress reliever.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

tytlblues wrote:Nice track Viking. Very nice tone i might add. Nice relaxing melody line, and smooth playing.
In my humble opinion , the lead line could be mixed a bit louder against the backing track.
great job though.

tytlblues
Thank you tytlblues - I'm not surprised to hear your comment about the mix - it's a commonly pointed out failing of mine - probably to do with a lack of confidence I hide my work a bit in the mix. :shy:

The guys here have helped me a lot this last nearly two years and my playing is gradually getting less stilted and flows better in keeping with the backing - this is about as good as the flow has ever got.
Blindboy wrote:Sounds good, VB. Excellent tone and sweet playing.
I can sympathize with stress levels after time off from work. I missed over a week due to the fire (uncompensated :wall: ), and had a hard time getting back into the swing of things. Music is a very good stress reliever.
Thanks Blindboy. The combination of Strat and Tonelab LE is making my mouth water with the tones - I've never had my sound coming through with so much "stratishness" (is there such a word?) before. The Tonelab LE has been such a lucky magical investment :banana: - I only just scraped in with the winning bid and there's been none up for sale on the UK e-bay since.

I think honestly without over-dramatising it that if I didn't have the guitar I'd probably be on anti-depressant medication. I'm not surprised you had a hard time getting back into the swing of things after all that worry. Don't know how you sounded so calm about it all. I'm hoping it's all still getting better on the fire risk front.
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

well, even though I have only been here on this forum a week, I Have discovered a refreshing sense of civility here. You will not find that on YouTube, or allot of other forums. There is a wonderful positive vibe here, that sort of gives you a good feeling and lets you hang your playing out there, good and bad. the enthusiasm and constructive comments really want to make you play and learn.
I plan on posting some more tunes soon, and also hope I get the chance to do one of the colabarative ventures also.
Take care
tytlblues
Tytlblues

BB King
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Cool track VB, good to see you playing and recording a lot, opposed to someone else here :icon_whoknows: .
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

tytlblues wrote:well, even though I have only been here on this forum a week, I Have discovered a refreshing sense of civility here. You will not find that on YouTube, or allot of other forums. There is a wonderful positive vibe here, that sort of gives you a good feeling and lets you hang your playing out there, good and bad. the enthusiasm and constructive comments really want to make you play and learn.
I plan on posting some more tunes soon, and also hope I get the chance to do one of the colabarative ventures also.
Take care
tytlblues
That's why we all love and cherish 12bar, it's inhabitants and of course Gerd.
We may be small in numbers of active members, but yes, we do all care.

I almost forgot : And Why we still miss our friend MAC....... One of the sweetest, friendliest members we ever had @ 12bar.
I hope they have Internet up there, where he must be now.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

tytlblues wrote:well, even though I have only been here on this forum a week, I Have discovered a refreshing sense of civility here. You will not find that on YouTube, or allot of other forums. There is a wonderful positive vibe here, that sort of gives you a good feeling and lets you hang your playing out there, good and bad. the enthusiasm and constructive comments really want to make you play and learn.
Take care
tytlblues
You are quite right about the positive vibe here. As HalfBlindLefty pointed out so well "That's why we all love and cherish 12bar, it's inhabitants and of course Gerd". Though he forgot, as I would expect :tongue: , to mention the huge impact he has on this positive vibe as Gerds right hand man. I would not have had the nerve to post any music of mine up on a forum if I hadn't found 12bar.de. i would also not set myself up for a fall by saying I was learning slide anywhere else - at least I know here that any failure will be met with sympathy and understanding. :D

I look forward to hearing more of your work tytlblues. :thumbsup: I'm sure a collab will be along before too long.
HalfBlindLefty wrote:We may be small in numbers of active members, but yes, we do all care.
Very much so. It makes 12bar.de the oasis in the harsh desert where we're allowed to grow and flourish. Hey - is that poetic!! :eye_rub:
HalfBlindLefty wrote:Cool track VB, good to see you playing and recording a lot, opposed to someone else here :icon_whoknows: .
Thank you HBL. I have strong feelings that if I had as much on my plate to deal with as "someone else here" that I wouldn't be playing and recording so much! :aha:

I've had some great guidance here - a lot of it from yourself (I will always remember you way you made suggestions that helped my playing along, or you suggested backing tracks that stretched me in just the right way). I think I have an advantage in that I am on an early enough stage of the learning journey where changes and improvements are still quite rapid - it's much easier to keep the momentum going when you can feel and hear the way things are getting gradually better. :thumbsup:
HalfBlindLefty wrote:I almost forgot : And Why we still miss our friend MAC....... One of the sweetest, friendliest members we ever had @ 12bar.
Beautifully put and so true.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:I almost forgot : And Why we still miss our friend MAC....... One of the sweetest, friendliest members we ever had @ 12bar.
Truth! He had more enthusiasm than the rest of us put together.
This is a good community, and y'all are largely responsible for me getting back into playing. (someone has to share the blame :whistle: )
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

:welcome: , tytlblues, from Round Rock, TX. - just north of Austin on IH35 (in case you're new to central Texas). This is a true international forum with great folks from every point on the compass.

This is a terrifically supportive and friendly community. I took up blues guitar at age 66 about two years ago and I'm probably an advanced beginner at this point. I've posted music a couple of times and always received encouragement. I think we are all aware that we have a special place here and we are vigilant to preserve that.

Your jazz-inflected blues will be a welcome sound here. Hope to hear a lot more from you.
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Hey mojojim, thanks and I know round rock well. Have been up there many a time for a youth soccer game.
Maybe a jam session is in order sometime in the future.
Tytlblues

BB King