A Trio of Varied Genre

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

A Trio of Varied Genre

Post by VikingBlues »

Hello everyone! :D Another stretch of time zooms by .... over 2 month since my last upload of music.

Too much time and effort being spent in trying to move house in the last month and no signs that it's not going to be a long haul. But it needs done if I'm to retire at a reasonable age. I'm hating it! :sad:

Much to my surprise yesterday I managed to play something a bit bluesy :eye_rub: on the Vintage all Mahogany V2000MGG Gordon Giltrap signature guitar.
Very basic though so don't expect much! In DADGAD - which has become my home base in all the tunings, but is not a tuning I've played much blues in.
:music1:
The attachment Woodworm Blues.mp3 is no longer available
Why "Woodworm"? Because we've found we have some woodworm in the attic and it'll all be getting treated next week. Another Bill to pay!

A couple of days earlier I managed my first recording for about a month, and there was precious little playing during that time. I tried to kick start playing again with a book of DADGAD Tabs by Mark Thomosn. "Sliabh Russell", the first piece in it, started to click, but I ended up not playing the notes exactly as per the tab - with extra notes added and phrasing and timing changed. I ended up with a lament. The original is a Jig! But the end result has more of me in it than if I just played the tabs straight. A more Scottish tinge to the tune now, due to the rhythm and note arrangement.
The attachment It Russells in the Heather.mp3 is no longer available
This was also done on the Mahogany Vintage guitar.

I'll round off my update with the last piece I recorded before the house move stuff kicked off. I put silk and steel strings on my other Vintage Giltrap guitar - the VE2000GG which has a cedar top. Testing them out and recording to see how the strings sounded it ended up more a piece of music than a sound test. In DADGAD again and pure improvisation. My favourite way of playing when it works as it gives most room for expression and feel.

Woodworm Blues.mp3 - (3.2 MiB)

An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: A Trio of Varied Genre

Post by 12bar »

Too bad something went wrong, only one great song was uploaded. Please upload the others again. I have to figure out what went wrong... :icon_whoknows:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Funny about that! It was OK when I logged off - all three showed up in the post as being on the forum player.

I'll try those other two again. But I'll also do direct links in case it goes wrong.

Woodworm Blues
https://app.box.com/s/ptb27x7km6b8urtrtzkk0cjqgnjj65pe

It Russells in the Heather
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13734596

Moving
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13734594

I suspect both those soundclick links will take you to the same place where you then have to select the song. It used to be the links went straight to the particular song.

Now the attempt to upload those other two songs to here as attachments.

The attachment Woodworm Blues.mp3 is no longer available

Woodworm Blues.mp3 - (3.2 MiB)

EDIT : Well I tried loading the other two songs as attachments. But despite not attaching Woodworm Blues again it has ended up on this post as Woodworm Blues on the forum player - as it was on the first post. Perhaps the blues forum engine prefers to only have blues pieces uploaded! :big_smile:
Maybe I need to do separate threads for each piece in order for them to show up on the forum player?
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

That is strange... all I did was adding the cookies message you may have noticed, nothing changed regarding uploads.
:think:
Looks like some work in the depths of the forum programming :big_smile:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Fixed...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I'll give it a try!

It Russells in the Heather
:music1: Moving
:music1: YAY - it works!!! :clap:
Well done Gerd - hope it wasn't too much of a struggle to sort it out. :thumbsup:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I've said this before several times - you do a really great job on this tuning. A special sound for the Blues and the "Highlands" folk touch on the other two - well done! :clap:
Who cares about tab! :lol:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:06 pm I've said this before several times - you do a really great job on this tuning. A special sound for the Blues and the "Highlands" folk touch on the other two - well done! :clap:
Who cares about tab! :lol:
Very kind of you to be so complimentary. :D

The DADGAD tuning is a bit of a boon as it means I can use a lot of open strings, which is much less strain on the finger joints. It also makes for some lovely resonance on chords - something that is particularly welcome on acoustic guitar which benefits in a way that an electric doesn't (and doesn't need). There's a lot of chords / partial chords only need the use of one fretting finger. A life much easier. :thumbsup:

The thing with playing pure tab is that the brain is concentrating on playing the right notes - a process controlled by the side of the brain that works on logic. I find that messes up the creative side of my brain that needs to listen to and shape the music. Using the tabs as a rough guide and exploring other notes on the fly, and playing around with the timing, tempo and dynamics, seems to free up enough of the creative side of my brain to get more flow and feel to the music. Generally I quite dislike the music I get from my attempts to play tab as it is written - or to play from memory as it is written.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

That's quite true. A tab is a good thing to get the idea of a song, but it's better to find the "personal" notes and positions that feel good.
Sometimes I try some Spanish classical music, but I'm not able to do it like the masters do, so I get the main idea and search my own way. As long as no one listens, it's OK... :lol:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

That's an approach to classical music you use that I like. Bringing some of the nature of blues to the genre. :thumbsup: :cool:
There's too much rules and regulations and having to play everything exactly as it is written - takes the soul out of it for me.