I'm going ampless.

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
nxsneil

Re: I'm going ampless.

Post by nxsneil »

Ooooops..... :peace: forgot to mention in prev post that I had an Eleven Rack but ended up selling it as I couldn't get the sounds i wanted from it in a Live situation. Was perfect for recording tho........ :away:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Someday I aint gonna worry my life anymore....
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

I've heard those Roland synths in the hands of a competent guitarist who has spent the time to learn how to use them. They do sound very convincing.

I was hoping for a simple fairly low tech solution to our volume problems. The bar owner thinks the simple solution is just to turn the volume knobs down. Of course, as guitar players we know that there are those things called "sweet spots" that we only get at certain volumes. :music2: :music1:
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

DeaconBlues wrote:The bar owner thinks the simple solution is just to turn the volume knobs down. Of course, as guitar players we know that there are those things called "sweet spots" that we only get at certain volumes
True... there is also the problem of hearing yourself over the drums, keyboards, etc... The sound out front might be fine, but the stage mix is often another story. :wall:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

Blindboy wrote:
DeaconBlues wrote:The bar owner thinks the simple solution is just to turn the volume knobs down. Of course, as guitar players we know that there are those things called "sweet spots" that we only get at certain volumes
True... there is also the problem of hearing yourself over the drums, keyboards, etc... The sound out front might be fine, but the stage mix is often another story. :wall:
There are ways to control the keyboard and drum volumes, too. "Cool Sticks" help reduce acoustic drum volumes. Electronic drums could go direct to the PA. I've discussed these with the drummer. He turned his nose up at the electronic drum set. He's willing to give the "Cool Sticks" a try. Keyboards rely less on volume for reproducing emotion/sound than guitar players do(unless it's for organ riffs/swells, so turning down and going direct to the PA works for them. I think the keys were mostly through the PA last Monday. Same with the bass. Even when the guest bass player insisted to use his amp, it went to the PA. But, by that time volume controls were shot.

First set was good, but they got louder as the night progressed and the owner noticed it.

I think it's more important to get a good stage mix first. If everyone can hear the nuances of each other's playing, I/we/you/anybody plays better/sounds better. This is probably were we should start.
That boy ain't right...,

nxsneil

Post by nxsneil »

DeaconBlues wrote:
I think it's more important to get a good stage mix first. If everyone can hear the nuances of each other's playing, I/we/you/anybody plays better/sounds better. This is probably were we should start.
With Amps, the main problem has always been Band Members turning their Amps up to hear themselves on stage because of either no or insufficient flodback/monitor levels. The sound level is also dictated by the minimum level of the loudest player eg acoustic drum sets can be very loud :yikes: so everything else needs to be turned up to be heard.

But you are right, most old-school Drummers don't like playing digital kits...... guess it's the same issue with tube amps and going ampless :icon_whoknows:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Someday I aint gonna worry my life anymore....
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

So true, Neil.

I haven't given up, yet. It's actually nice to have a crowd stay through two sets of our music instead of running for the hills when we crank it up. I paid particular attention to the crowd size as the volume increased through out the evening. There seems to be a direct correlation to volume and crowd size. Of course, this is a Monday night. Crowds are usually smaller. Folks come in earlier for dinner and leave earlier. Still it seems that the dinner crowd was larger and more appreciative. :icon_whoknows:
Last edited by DeaconBlues on Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That boy ain't right...,

Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

DeaconBlues wrote:I paid particular attention to the crowd size as the volume increased through out the evening. There seems to be a direct correlation to volume and crowd size.
The fact that it was getting later on a Monday evening may have had something to do with the crowd diminishing... :icon_whoknows:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

Whoops didn't see your comment, Bb, before I edited my post above yours.
That boy ain't right...,