Before
10%
After
90%

Total votes: 10

MikeJackal

Jackal's Prefer Blondes

Post by MikeJackal »

Curiosity + Boredom = Uh Oh Mike's at it again messing around with his guitars.
I've spent a long time debating about the colour and finish of my Epiphone Les Paul. I searched the web long and hard to see whether the colour will eventually fade and start looking like a '59 Les Paul, the short answer is...no. The modern poly-eurethene lacquer they use to coat these guitar is highly fade resistant. In most other circumstances that would be a great thing, that over time it will still be the same colour as when it was new....But not with guitars, we want faded, worn, battle scarred axes and the lacquer just won't allow it.
After the first six months of owning her I hated the plastic look of the guitar and the way it looked like a boiled sweet, so I went at it with an orbital sander after seeing a thread on the MyLesPaul forums. I took off just enough so that it was left with a nice satin sheen as can be seen in the picture below.
But a year or so has past since then and after sunbathing her and putting her in front of a UV bulb for many hours I gave up the ghost and admitted that she was never going to fade. One quote I read said the quickest way to fade it was; "about 40,000 hours, eight inches away from the sun's surface".

So three days ago I started wondering what lay beneath that generic sunburst finish, well curiosity got the better of me and I went mental with the sandpaper again and here is the result.
Before
Before.JPG
Before.JPG (170.49 KiB) Viewed 12554 times
After
After.JPG
After.JPG (172.36 KiB) Viewed 12554 times
I love it! I couldn't believe my luck when I started sanding and this gorgeous colour started coming through, I was thinking that I would end up with bare wood and eventually stain it a nice honey colour but now I don't have to!
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
VikingBlues

Re: Jackal's Prefer Blondes

Post by VikingBlues »

That has ended up looking exceptionally good. :clap:

I've heard of people sanding off the finish for tone purposes, or so that a new finish could be applied, but I think this is the first time I've seen a partial sanding to change the overall colour. Nice one. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
LeftyBlues

Post by LeftyBlues »

That's amazing! I have an Epiphone Les Paul too and I've been weary of the finish as well. I don't think I have the balls to sand my guitar because if I mess up, there aren't many people around here that could fix it up and put a new finish on. But congrats you! I bet you really like it now that it leans towards Peter Green's Les Paul's color!
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

LeftyBlues wrote:I bet you really like it now that it leans towards Peter Green's Les Paul's color!
Damn was it that obvious! I'm not sure what the official term is for the colour now, probably "Lemon Drop" or "Honey Butter Syrupey".
Either way I love it. Took 3 full days of sanding by hand to get a even colour. And just to clarify this the base coat that they put on before they spray the sunburst, a completely different layer of paint. There is still a layer of laquer to protect the finish from any dings.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Wow! That looks a LOT better. Good job. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

That's pure beauty Mike, Just adore it :)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Great new look, well done! :thumbsup:
Although I think the old one wasn't too bad. :icon_whoknows:
Putting a guitar in sunlight or even using a UV lamp is no good idea (chemical point of view :big_smile: ). It not only fades traditional lacquer, but also degrades nearly all synthetic materials.
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

12bar wrote:Putting a guitar in sunlight or even using a UV lamp is no good idea (chemical point of view :big_smile: ). It not only fades traditional lacquer, but also degrades nearly all synthetic materials.
That was the whole point Muah Ha Ha.....Seriously though that's a good point and i knew it was a bad idea at the time, with the risks of the wood warping or the neck glue melting, the wax in the pickups melting and oozing everywhere...birds pooping on it was a problem too a couple of times.
But i craved that lighter finish and was willing to risk it. Of course I wouldn't subject a $5000 Gibson to that sort of treatment, but an Epiphone I paid $300...I could live with the consequences.
And there was nothing wrong with the original finish, it was nice, I just tired of it's generic look, a look that adorns tens..if not hundreds of thousands of Asian built Epiphone Les Paul's. Now I know that my Epiphone Les Paul is truly unique, a one of a kind that bears the name Lilianne........maybe i'll get a signature guitar made after me by Epiphone one day.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

MikeJackal wrote:maybe i'll get a signature guitar made after me by Epiphone one day.
:lol: :thumbsup:
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

MikeJackal wrote:Curiosity + Boredom = Uh Oh Mike's at it again messing around with his guitars.
I love it! I couldn't believe my luck when I started sanding and this gorgeous colour started coming through, I was thinking that I would end up with bare wood and eventually stain it a nice honey colour but now I don't have to!
I would never have the guts to start sanding my guitar like that but the figure you revealed is quite nice. Since you have abundant energy, have you thought of doing a French polish finish or maybe a hand-rubbed oil?
Cheers!
Mike

"A broken angel sings
From a guitar"
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

MikeL wrote:I would never have the guts to start sanding my guitar like that but the figure you revealed is quite nice. Since you have abundant energy, have you thought of doing a French polish finish or maybe a hand-rubbed oil?
I thought about carrying on and going through that layer to bare wood, but the maple veneer on these guitars is so thin I didn't want to risk not getting it even or even worse going through it. Plus I love the colour it is now so much I don't think I want to change it again. Peter Green is quickly becoming my favourite guitarist and to have a Les Paul that is close in colour to his original is far enough on this project for me...Now if I could only play like him.
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

It must have been a great feeling when you started sanding back the red to find a continuation of the gorgeous quilted yellow underneath! When fortune smiles on you like that, you don't question it, you just go with it :banana:
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

MikeJackal wrote:I thought about carrying on and going through that layer to bare wood, but the maple veneer on these guitars is so thin I didn't want to risk not getting it even or even worse going through it. Plus I love the colour it is now so much I don't think I want to change it again. Peter Green is quickly becoming my favourite guitarist and to have a Les Paul that is close in colour to his original is far enough on this project for me...Now if I could only play like him.
Yeah, definitely don't want to sand through the veneer. Knowing modern "value engineering" the veneer is probably as thin as can possibly be manufactured. The treatments I was talking about wouldn't necessarily impact the color but would be done to add chatoyance and make the figure really pop. But I agree that the guitar looks great as it is.

Cheers!
Mike - coveting your blonde friend :drool:
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Looks very nice mike.

A bit of Gary Moore style :thumbsup:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....