What kind of gear do you have and are you happy with it?

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
MikeJackal

Re: What kind of gear do you have and are you happy with it?

Post by MikeJackal »

kiwiclapton wrote:Watch out, blind mountain biker!
It's ok it has a bell on it, like they have inside the soccer ball :away:
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

I just realised I haven't posted anything on the original question even though I've been following the thread...
My main guitar is my 1996 Epiphone Les Paul "Lilianne" that I named after my grandmother. I have done all sorts of upgrades and alterations as I noted in another thread, also can see them on my website linked over there ---------------------->
Newest guitar is a 1996 Epiphone Sorrento hollow body with dog ear P-90 pickups. Thirdly the first electric I ever bought I still have and will always keep which is a 2007 Westfield E4000LH Les Paul copy, it's a brand you probably wont have heard of in the US but they are made in Scotland and are great quality guitars for the low budget market.
I play all of them through Guitar Rig 4 because an amp really isn't an option right now, I plan on getting something like a Fender Deluxe Reverb in the future though.
Future guitar additions will be a Fender Strat and an acoustic of some description. I will probably stop at the because I'll have all the sounds you ever need but I am partial to a bit of GAS so I could see myself being in the dog house in the years to come.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

kiwiclapton wrote:Watch out, blind mountain biker!
Just stay off of pavement, and you are safe from me. :thumbsup:
Gonna brag on my gear some more... :roll:
4162_1069885027126_1226117569_30182216_8270192_n[1].jpg
4162_1069885027126_1226117569_30182216_8270192_n[1].jpg (51.08 KiB) Viewed 15871 times
017 - Copy.JPG
017 - Copy.JPG (37.66 KiB) Viewed 15870 times
guitars.jpg
guitars.jpg (37.46 KiB) Viewed 15870 times
The only one of these that I haven't gigged with is the Regal. That gets played around the house, and at campfire parties, though.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

@BB: a resonator would complete my small collection :whistle:
Nice gear! What the odd looking acoustic on the right? :think:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I keep thinking resonators, but I'm pretty useless at acoustic guitar playing so it keeps missing out on beinf top priority - love the resonator sound though.

There's something very lived in about the BB guitar collection - they look like they enjoy working hard and have lots of experiences to tell. :thumbsup:
Last edited by VikingBlues on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

12bar wrote:@BB: a resonator would complete my small collection :whistle:
Nice gear! What the odd looking acoustic on the right? :think:
That is a 1932 Melody King by Kaycraft (Kaykraft?). They became Kay, and made lots of inexpensive and "student" guitars. This one is pretty cool, it is a handcarved archtop with a chunky triangular neck, great for fingerpicking. It has a bright, loud sound. I should post up something with it. As far as quality/cost... it was originally (in '32) in between the cheaper guitars, like Harmony, and expensive ones, like Gibson/Martin. Pretty decent... It is about the only way I can afford an actual handcarved archtop. :whistle:
012 - Copy.JPG
012 - Copy.JPG (23.92 KiB) Viewed 15853 times
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

How does that Melody King sound with a slide? :drool:
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

DeaconBlues wrote:How does that Melody King sound with a slide? :drool:
Not bad, not as good as the resophonics, though... It sounds really good with fingerpicks, I just have a hard time getting used to them. :roll:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks for the photo - a real eye catcher! I'd love to hear it... :thumbsup:
kiwiclapton

Post by kiwiclapton »

Wow, great great. I'm still saving.......
In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand, Amen.
weelie

Post by weelie »

Epi Dot. Squier Tele. Epi Alliekat. I like'em currently in this order. Of course looking to change pickups and all that, but don't really need to. Need to practice more!

Kustom Contender. Great tube tone for the desk for 100€. It's about the smallest good 8" speaker amp I've found (ok, there is the one 1W tube amp I tried, but it was twice the price). something like 5kg too.
Roland Microcube. Fits the rucksack. Sounds good, unless the bass end farts. I usually Use it through to a bigger amp/speaker or with headphones.
Boss RC-2 Loop station. Love it, use it through the microcube mostly, when I have the 10-15minutes time for some practice. Here's one recent practice loop of a slow jazz standard: http://www.box.net/shared/i7ec88xoak
BadBluesPlayer

Post by BadBluesPlayer »

I have a couple of Gibson electrics, an ES-339 and a Les Paul Studio Deluxe with Burstbucker 1 & 2 pickups. I'm very happy with those guitars.

I have an Epiphone EL-00 acoustic. The Epiphone is decent, but I've had to do some work on it. The neck angle is a little flat and the neck should have been been made with a little more relief, or upward bow. I only paid a few hundred bucks for it, so I shouldn't complain. I had a small bodied Taylor 412EC acoustic but I sold it because I didn't like the sound and I needed the cash to get the Les Paul. I don't like Taylor guitars any more. Just my preference.

Amps - I have an Egnater Rebel 20 head (my favorite), an Egnater Renegade head - a super amp with all kinds of power and lots of bells and whistles - very loud with a lot of overhead. I have two 1x12 homemade cabs that I use. One is an open backed cab that's a fender wide panel style. The other is a closed back, ported design - a clone of Egnater's 1x12 cab. I'll use the open backed cab by itself if I'm not playing too loud and add the closed back cab if I'm playing louder.

I have a Roland Microcube, which I hardly ever use except when I play where there's no power. The Microcube is ok as long as you don't play it very loud. I have a Fender Vibrochamp XD - a 5W class A amp, which has a tube power section with a solid state preamp. It's pretty good, but like the Microcube, it gets kind of flabby at higher volumes or at higher gain settings.

I had an Egnater Tweaker and I sold it to get the Renegade. I had a Blues Junior and that was a great amp. I think I sold it to buy the Rebel. Its the only amp that I've sold that I wish I didn't have to. The only thing about the Blues Junior is that it really needs bigger transformers to give it the overhead that other 20 watt amps have.

I have a couple of pedals but I really like to play straight into the amp.

The Rebel 20 is the best sounding amp I've ever played. I use a reverb pedal through the effects loop. I bought mine just before the Rebel 30 came out. I wish I had a Rebel 30, because it has on board reverb. It also has two channels, which is useful for gigging. I'm really not a two channel guy, but it's nice to be able to use another channel to boost the volume.

The Rebel is pretty sensitive to what tubes are in the preamp section. I have messed around with different tube combinations a bunch of times. Recently the thing was getting a little muddy and I changed out and swapped around some tubes until I tried this old RCA tube in the first position and now the thing sounds absolutely wonderful. I'm hoping that tube will last awhile.

Anyway, that's about it. :big_smile: :cool:
Midniterambler

Post by Midniterambler »

I'm new to the forum so I figured this thread would be a good place to start.

As far as guitars go.....
I have a '99 Midnight Wine Red mim Standard Strat with maple fretboard that I modded with Vintage Noiseless pickups. Very happy with this guitar. It's got alot of miles on it and still plays great. Got it as a Christmas present from my rents when I was like 17 and I'll never get rid of it for that reason.
I also have a Sunburst Classic Player '50's Strat. It's a nice guitar but I don't like the "custom switching" that comes stock on it. The 5 way switch doesn't have the traditional 5 options, but instead the out-of-phase position between the neck and middle pickup is the neck and bridge pickup. Some might like that but I don't. Other than that, I really like the guitar. (BTW I know the switch problem can be corrected.)
I have a sunburst Road Worn '50's Strat that I modded with Seymour Duncan Antiquity I pickups. I really like this guitar. The stock Tex Mex pickups weren't bad but I liked the feel of this guitar so much that I wanted something better under the hood. I love the feel of the V-shaped neck. I wasn't crazy about it in the beginning but after I got used to it, I absolutely loved it.
I also have a black American Vintage '57 Reissue Strat. I haven't had this guitar very long but I'm quite happy with it so far. Changed the 3-way switch to a 5-way already.
I have a sunburst '98 Epiphone Firebird. Got it for Christmas of '98, and I'll always hang on to it. I modded it with Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Firebird pickups. It's got some wear and tear on it and alot of miles but I love it for that. I've gotta replace the pots and stuff on it soon.
I also have a sunburst '01 Epiphone Les Paul Standard that I modded with Gibson Burstbucker I and Burstbucker III pickups. The volume pot has developed some static but the guitar still plays great. Gotta upgrade the pots and stuff on this one too.
I have a cherry red Gibson ES-335 from last year. Lovely instrument. Sounds great. Plays great. No complaints.
I also have a Squier Bronco Bass that was given to me.

As for my acoustic guitars......
I have an Alvarez R10. Not a high end instrument but it gets the job done. I've gotten alot of use out of it and can't complain about it at all.
I also have a Fender Acoustic/Electric CD-60CE in natural finish. It's pretty narrow at the nut. Other than that, it gets the job done.
And lastly I have a Bean Blossom Resonator by Morgan Monroe in sunburst finish. I really love this instrument and have definately gotten my money's worth out of it.

For amps I have a Peavey Delta Blues. It's a 30 watt tweed tube amp. I really like it. Just wish it had a standby switch.
I also have a Fender Hod Rod Deluxe III that I got recently. I'm happy with it so far.
I also have a Vox AC4TV as a practice amp. It's a very capable practice amp.

For pedals, I have a Dunlop Crybaby wah from probably 6 to 8 years ago. Gave me years of great service and still works fine. I also have a Vox wah from last year, which is a nice wah pedal as well. I have a Marshall Guv'nor Overdrive Pedal that makes a nice sound when you're amp is set to clean. Pretty happy with it.

So I think that's just about it. Had loads of other gear over the years that I parted with for various reasons. Recently parted with a Hod Rod Deville 410 amp because it was just too damn big and an American Special Tele because the Texas Special pickups were just too hot.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Hi midniterambler

That is a fair 'Arsenal' of guitar equipment you have there !!

Welcome on the board :wave:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:welcome: to tthe forum Midniterambler.

A very impressive array of gear and it's sort of apparent you might be a keen fan of modding, particularly where pickups are concerned! Ahhh - the search for good tone. :drool:

Look forward to seeing you around on the forum. :D
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Shuffle

Post by Shuffle »

I have only one guitar. A 2007 MIM Fender Telecaster with some sort of extreme relic. For that they took a sunburst Tele, sanded off the most part of the original laquer, spray-painted it with some grey primer and over that with matte black car rallye laquer. Then they sanded off part of the coating again to make it look worn. The hardware was treated in a way it became rusty and the neck was given an extreme worn look, too. The pickups are copies of what Fender used in the early 60s. Despite all this it is a great sounding and playing guitar and I chose it for its`playability and sounds, not for the looks.
I think it is very ugly.

My amp is a selfbuilt little tube amp with 5 to 6 watts when cranked up. First I wanted to buy a small Fender Champion 600, but I didn`t like the flimsy sound. So I built a Champclone based on the 5F1-circuit of the mid-50s narrow panel Champ amp that came with the student model lapsteel guitars Fender sold at the time. It has a finger-jointed pine cabinet covered in Tweed. The front grille is covered in the typical oxblood-coloured fabric. The speaker used is an 8" Weber AlNiCo Signature and the preamp tube a NOS from Siemens from the 50s. I used the best ingredients possible to make this little tone monster and I love it.

Then there`s my Marshall 9000 tube preamp that I use to spice up my keyboard sound and add a little warmth. I use it as my midnight practice amp for guitar.
A mind is like a parachute. It doesnt work if it's not open. - Frank Zappa
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:welcome: Midniterambler and shuffle!

What a gear! :eye_rub:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Mhh about time I sum it up I guess.....

Tokai '84 Goldstar stratocaster lh
Fender avri '62 Stratocaster lh
Epiphone Dot lh
Greg Bennet Avion av3 lh
Stagg Telecaster copy lh
Ibanez E500AE acoustic thinline rh
Manuel Rodriguez Cabalero II lh

Fender Cybertwin SE
Yamaha b100g
Blackheart little giant (for sale)
Checking next weekend.... Kitty Hawk the Kid series 1 full tube amp 22 watt

D&R MR 600 mixer
Shure pg 57 mic
Shure PG 58 mic
Emu 0404 soundcard

My hands, fingers and a lot of life to look back upon :)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

ok.. several guitars
my main guitar is a 2006 michael kell JZ pheonix, 60 of them made in the states. rare...
i have a frankenstrat with action that is too high to play normally so I play slide on it
I have a gibson SG copy with a broken neck that is becoming my autograph guitar, got some famous australian signatures on that
I have a samic les paul copy that is pulled apart at the moment, i got to re wire it
I hve an Ibanez AEW electric acoustic, thats got a pretty good sound, i play standard and slide on that
and I have an old stella nylon string that I dont touch anymore

as far as amps go...
my gigging amp is a 80w solid state legacy thing (cheap but sounds ok)
and then I have smaller amps
an old guyatone that i cant find anything about on the internet, its a 5w tube thing that needs to be fixed up
a line 6 spider micro 3, in built effects that sound a little sterile to me, lacks the warmth of pedals through a nice tube amp
Econ 15w bass amp
Silvertone 10w practice amp...
and currently sitting in my possesion is my bestfriends amp. a nice vox AC4, head and cab, quite loud and can do smaller gigs without being mic'd
I also have his squier strat (1990) here, ive just sanded it down but now I need to put it back together...

i have a couple of pedals too. i have 2 crossfire pedals (know as hellcat in america) crossfire delay and the crossfire dual afterburner (overdrive and distortion) they sound pretty good, I have a 808tubescreamer clone that needs a chip replaced, that sounds pretty sweet when its working.. and I also have a hand built big muff clone..

so that pretty much sums up my gear apart from the strings. i use 10-52 earnie ball string, BUT have recently decided to buy 11-54 and im loving them. im playing in standard most of the time and I have no problem bending the strings, but a few of my friends cant bend them at all..
"Playing the blues is like being black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed out on both counts, but I never noticed" - BB king
Midniterambler

Post by Midniterambler »

VikingBlues wrote::welcome: to tthe forum Midniterambler.

A very impressive array of gear and it's sort of apparent you might be a keen fan of modding, particularly where pickups are concerned! Ahhh - the search for good tone. :drool:

Look forward to seeing you around on the forum. :D

thanks everybody for all the welcomes....

I like to get the best sound possible out of my guitars and pickups are a big part of that. I replaced the pickups in both my Epiphones and my mim Standard Strat. I gotta say that I think those Seymour Duncan Antiquity I's are the best Strat pickups I've got.

The quest for great tone is a bit of holy grail isn't it?