It's not really fair...

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
DeaconBlues

It's not really fair...

Post by DeaconBlues »

to post about a new gear acquisition without pictures, but perhaps I'll get around to that in a couple of days. For now I'm too busy playing my "new to me" Gretsch 6119 Tennessee Rose. :music2:

First off, I've never picked up a Gretsch that I was able to bond with. Never cared for the feel of the necks. Well that has either changed, or this one was built just for me. :icon_whoknows: I've been having a lot of hand pain in my fretting hand of late. I played the Gretsch for a couple of hours with no pain what so ever. :D

To be honest, I was looking for a short scale guitar to ease the hand pain. I had looked at this Gretsch a couple of weeks ago and dismissed it due to the 25.5" scale length and the fact that it has a Bigsby(I'm not a wiggle bar fan). But, it did feel good in my hands. So, I kept thinking about it. I figured it would be gone when I stopped in at the store yesterday, but there she was waiting for me to come back and claim her.

Like I said, it's not fair to post about a new gear acquisition without pictures...but, I've got to go and play that guitar right now. :away:
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
Blindboy

Re: It's not really fair...

Post by Blindboy »

All Right! :thumbsup:
Gonna see her on Monday?
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Hey - and wow - that'll be a beautiful guitar Deacon. :thumbsup:

I'm not surprised you're too busy playing. High class indeed - look forward to seeing (and hearing) at some point.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Some really great new additions to the 12bar gear family (including my own addition of course :dance: ). I too look forward to seeing and hearing your new toy. I think maybe we need to do a collab with all our guys new guitars? Anyone up for that?
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

I once have a Gretch, Bought it with a small lacquer damage cheap. (les Paul shape) But i can't get used to the typically country sound they make. played well but after tree day's i sell it to a guy who take some blues lessons from me. He is playing nothing else than slide on it. Great guitars unfortunately noting for me :cry: But i love them at others hands :beer:
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

Still no pics, but lots of playing time.

I was playing it yesterday morning and my wife stops me to say, "that guitar sounds really great". Something she seldom does. :think: But, she's right. :D This guitar plays and sounds fantastic.

It will be at the open mic on Monday, for sure, Bb.

L77S, I agree..., but I need to score some kind of recording apparatus first. Any suggestions?

El Mano, I understand the country connection, but I've only been able to pull blues and rock and roll out of this guitar. Do you suppose it's defective? :icon_whoknows:

You are right, VB, she's a beauty. I'm not sure if the top is the dark cherry or the bordeaux burgundy. Dark cherry would be right for this model, and that's what the top appears to be, but the back appears to be more of the burgundy color. Regardless, she is very pleasing to the eye...and ear.

I'll never sound like George or Chet, but I'm sure diggin' this git fiddle.
That boy ain't right...,

DeaconBlues

Re: It's not really fair...PICS ADDED

Post by DeaconBlues »

Here's a few pics of this lady:
That boy ain't right...,

HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

SWEET :drool:

Congrats :bb:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Looks like a real beauty buddie !!

can't wait to hear them Gretche tones shining on through

Good enough for Chet and George H ...........it gotta be a goodie !!

Enjoy !! :thumbsup:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

When you read magazines about the design world there is always somebody with a new toothbrush design or a designer chair and these are supposed to be beautiful. But they are usually not. They are just weirdly shaped toothbrushes and chairs.

But the classic shapes of guitars are truly beautiful.

Deacon, yours is right up there near the top. A beautiful thing to behold. Even all the metal of the Bigsby perfectly fits the archetype of a classic guitar. It's something you could just sit and hold.....and grin while doing it. Bet it sounds wonderful as well. Congrats! :thumbsup:

(wooden sailing boats are also beautiful)
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

...and THAT IS Beautiful! :clap:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Shiny!!! :drool:
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

"She sparkles". :D
That boy ain't right...,

Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

The new guitar sounds VERY nice!
Fun to play too... :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
doc

Post by doc »

It looks really nice!