Recording guitar with backing track

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
cruisemates

Recording guitar with backing track

Post by cruisemates »

Hey all ---

On this computer,I want to be able to hear and record my guitar with a backing track. I plugged my Rockman into my mic input and it sounds good.

Any suggestions on a simple program, or Windows 7 setting, where I can record my guitar and a backing track through my computer?

I know most of you use Audacity. Is that what I have to do, or is there a simpler way to accomplish this? A program to play along with backing tracks would be very cool.
Last edited by cruisemates on Sun May 02, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
cruisemates

Re: Dumb Question - Can't hear guitar

Post by cruisemates »

What is funny is this - Windows 7 has a very common latency problem with live sources, so I had to solve that, first, once I got my mic input working. That was even harder, but now I can play along to Windows media and even record my playing at the same time.

I just haven't figured out an easy way to play to a backing track and have it record both my guitar and the backing track at the same time. I am sure there is an easy way - I am just looking for recommendations.
Last edited by cruisemates on Sun May 02, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Simple :)
Load the backingtracks into a track of it's own in protools and just record on an empty track.
That way you won't have to record both. When you are done recording create a mix that sounds right to you and save it as an .mp3 file.
The archived forum should contain a description of how I record and mix my stuff :)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

Thanks, I already do that. I was just wondering if there was a any program specifcally made for recording guitar with backing tracks. I just got my guitar plugged into my main computer and it sounds pretty good (Rockman), but when I record me playing to a backing track only the guitar records.
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Recording guitar with backing track

Post by 12bar »

I think audacity works great. Just open it, load the BT and press record. The BT remains the same, the recorded track is independent and can be processed, if needed. When finished, melt them together or export all tracks. There are many nice shortcuts worth learning, you can loop a part,
zoom in quickly, align easily and so on. Nice free tool. :music1:
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

I guess I might just try audacity. It just seems a little redundant when I already know Protools and have a full rig. It is just a hassle to fire it up (its a custom built computer with an external hard drive and a 12-channel mixer, powered speakers, two monitors, etc.) My Protools music hard drive is now full so I need to buy a new one.

I still really think there is a place for a basic program that is like a "screen capture" where you can play a backing track, maybe in Quicktime or Windows Media, and play along with it, and it all gets recorded together. Of course, there is a benefit to having it as a separate track, I know.
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

Well, I tried a couple of programs that say they "capture" the output of the soundcard but neither did. I am betting it is a windows 7 issue because apparntly the sound is processed somewhat differently.

So, now I have Audacity but I am getting latency, plus a big disceprancy between the recording volume and the playback volume. I guess this is why I didn't want to havew to go here, because if the learning curve (be there with Protools already).

I guess I will just read the audacity forums for amswers, I am sure there is a lot of support out there for it. Just let me ask one Q:

Once you get the latency compensation set (as in buffer = 100 and latency compensation = -130) is it set for good, or does it change with every project? Is it dependent on your system?